Hydrosalpinx found at ivf baseline scan

tulip girl

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone out there might be able to help. X

I went for my initial ivf consultation and scan yesterday. (This will be our 2nd ivf, we were lucky enough to be successful first time round last time and have an almost 2 year old little girl.)

I had the consultation first and my consultant talked me through the protocol they'd do this time (up my meds to hopefully get more eggs) and said he was ready to start whenever we were. Next I had the Antral Follicle Scan (11 follicles) and a scan of my womb. The nurse briefly talked over the results with me, but told me my consultant would write to me with more details.

We started the drive home, and he phoned me on my mobile saying that I had a hydrosalpinx in both Fallopian tubes and that prior to ivf he wanted them clipped. (I'm sure I read on the sheet the nurse had though, that it said possible hydrosalpinx) I know my tubes are knackered (previous laparoscopies have found my tubes and other organs are adhered to bits they shouldn't!) and I've had an ectopic before too (but kept the tube) I think I even remember consultant/doctorss talking about fluid in there before, but I've had quite a few scans etc over the years, so can't remember properly.

He said he'd write to my gp/consultant at my local hospital to see if they can rush me through to get this done, so that I can cycle when I wanted to (in the summer holidays)

So, I just wanted some advice! Anyone had their tubes clipped prior to ivf? How long did you wait between referral and the operation date? How long after this could ivf take place? I'm wondering as my tubes are stuck to other bits, whether they'd even be able to clip them?! I need to decide whether it's worth going through this operation and the cost of a fresh cycle, or whether this is natures way of telling me - You've been flipping lucky once, don't be greedy.

I'm 40 almost, so time is not on my side! Any advice would be gratefully received, good or bad stories welcome! Thank you for reading if you got this far!!!

Tulip x

I had tubal ligations for both of my tubes. They will clip it closer to your uterus than ovaries. So there shouldn't be any problem. I was told a week after the procedure we could start the IVF process. It wasn't too bad. Good luck!

Thank you for replying lovetomatoes and congratulations on your pregnancy :) Wow only a week's rest and recovery is brill, I was envisaging much longer from what I've read. X

Tulip, yes. It wasn't to bad at all. It did take full week and half for the incisions to completely healed. My IVF was actually postponed for 2 months because of cysts and RE schedule. I actually kind of glad that it happened that way. If you can, I do recommend at least to wait 3 weeks. I'm not a doctor but has experienced both. The stimulation injecttions work your body to the max. it makes you bloat. I'm not sure how comfortable that will be after the surgery. Plus, you'll already be bloated by the surgery itself. You'll be fine :) and thank you. Hope you'll get your BFP soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->