Hypnobirhting and natal hypnotherapy

chuck

Reaction score
So what's the difference then?

I've been thinking about doing either but I dont really know what the difference is and which would suit me more - I'd have to be using books and CD's so want to find out from people what theyre like before spending money on things.

'HypnoBirthing®' is a trademarked course which originated in the USA and is also known as the 'Mongan method'. You attend for a total of at least 12.5 hours. The course includes lots of general antenatal education as well as hypnosis techniques, and your birth partner is a vital part of the process and so must attend the classes with you.

'Natal Hypnotherapy' is an approach developed by UK hypnotherapist Maggie Howell and you can either attend classes or listen to CDs in your own time at home. The classes are a 2-day course including antenatal education as well as hypnotherapy and the cost is similar to that of HypnoBirthing classes.

I've only personally used Hypnobirthing but I decided on it because the classes involve the partner so much more. And seeing as DH really wanted to be apart of everything he really like the idea of hypnobirthing more as well. I also love all the science that Marie brings into the book.

You dont have to attend the classes to use Hypnobirthing - reading the book and using the CDs will give you a good foundation and the courses really bring the book to life.

The main difference (in my understanding) is that 'pure' Hypnobirthing is generally done in a quite sedentary position where the Natal can be more active. That said I've seen very effective Hypnobirthing (and used it myself) by women keeping active too. Horses for courses!

My hubby is a licensed Hypnotherapist! If any of you would like to ask him any questions, let me know and I'd be more than happy to pass on his professional email contact.

I've been using the Natal Hypnotherapy cds from about 16 weeks this pregnancy. I listened to the pregnancy relaxation tracks up until a couple of weeks ago, then I moved onto the birth preparation ones which I'm using now. I've put them all on hubby's ipod and had a quick listen to the birth music this afternoon, which I'll listen to during labour. When I listen to the birth prep tracks I find myself drifting in and out of sleep/consciousness throughout and am very relaxed throughout:)

I've listened to them when I go to bed and I often nod off before the end of the track and wake up to find I've still got the earphones in:D

I'd recommend the Natal Hypnotherapy as you can get different ones from homebirth, hospital birth, VBAC, twins etc. I feel it's helping me without having to do the classes.

xx

I chose the Natal Hypnotherapy route for a number of reasons. Firstly, the voice on the NH CDs (Maggie Howell's) has a British rather than an American accent. I have nothing against American accents but after learning a little about what hypnotherapy is I decided that being British myself my subconscious would find it easier to connect with a more a familiar accent and use of language. I'm also very pleased that there are different CDs for different scenarios - I'm using the home birth one and having one specifically for that was very appealing. Again, I felt it catered to my personal needs better.

As for the classes, I have no experience of the Hypnobirthing ones but I can say that the NH ones involve the Dad/partner in every aspect as well and they're given lots of tools and techniques to help support Mum and themselves during the birth. If you didn't want to go to classes Maggie Howell has also written the book 'Effective Birth Preparation' which, like the Hypnobirthing one, compliments the CDs and covers most of what would be covered in a class. It's extremely comprehensive and it really made me think hard about where many of my beliefs and expectations about birth were coming from as well as giving lots of guidance, techniques and tips. I think that looking inwards and self-analysis/discovery is one of the most important aspects of birth preparation and this book gave me a lot of little 'light bulb' moments. :)

The NH classes are a bit different to what Jenni says above these days. They changed the format about a year ago. There are now two different workshops, one the focuses on the hypnotherapy aspect and one that focuses on other aspects of birth preparation. Taken together you get the same amount of content as the old two day course but it gives you the flexibility of being able to pick and choose a combination of CDs/book/classes to suit you - plus they're individually cheaper than having to sign up for a full two day course.

NH worked wonderfully for me and I'm looking forward to using it again, but both options have their merits and almost everyone who uses them (either one) usually has a lot of good things to say so I'm sure you'll get a lot of benefit whichever one you choose. :)

Good luck!

Gina. x

I didn't realize that in NH there were different CD's. I might look into getting that homebirth one.

Thanks ladies, you've been very helpful.

My problem is that I really cannot afford any classes and as much as my Hubby will be with me he isnt much use and doesnt want to be part of much...no looking at the business end , no cord cutting etc. He pretty lame last time and didnt come to theatre with me when I had my EMCS.

He was ok when I was in the birth Centre and got me cool flannels for my head when I was in the pool but when I was in hospital there was nothing he could do.

He's not much into 'birth' - he wonders why we dont just all book and elective?!!

I have spoken to him a lil bit about Hypnobirthing as I've read a little bit about it and he didnt really seem interested (if he read anything he would call it hippy nonsense) but he does think that if it's what I need to do then he'll support me doing it -however I cant see him ever listening to a CD or practising any of the techniques with me lol!

I'll give the natal Hypnotherapy CD's and books a look they sound good.

I used Natal Hypnotherapy in my last pregnancy and used it for the birth. It worked really well for me. I had a 27 hour labour but used no pain relief, just a tens machine and water (though I gave birth on dry land). It was hard work - there's no denying that. Labour hurt and it really did push me to the end of my reserves but the NH enabled me to stay on top of it and cope with it, even if I did feel as though I was only just coping towards the end.

So for me it wasn't a magic bullet that made it easy and painless, but it did allow me to manage the sensations and stay in control, which is what I wanted, and the sense of achievement once she was born was unbelievable. Not to mention all those lovely natural hormones that she and I both got to experience the full benefit of. I was high as a kite for about three days!

Gina. x

Natal Hypnotherapy HypnoBirthing is not the same. HypnoBirthing is the name of a particular approach to hypnosis and birth is registered in the name of the strategy the United States by Marie Mongan. One of the many ways to use hypnosis to occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->