Hypnobirthing

Nev23

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant. Thought this may be the best forum for me at the moment as I am planning a Hypnobirth at my local midwife-led birthing facility. I'm hoping to have a waterbirth.

I've been to hypnobirthing classes which I have found very informative and it has allowed me to take control and let go of the fear I had about childbirth.

Been practising every day and sometimes I am amazed at the relaxed state I can get into...I literally feel like I've taken some really strong drug to relax me and my body feel all floaty and numb! I'm hoping this is a good sign that I will be able to get into this state during labour.

OH has been to all of the classes with me and although we haven't practised a lot of the techniques together, we have done some practise and as he has been to the classes I hope this is enough for him to fully support me during labour.

Any experiences / opinions on using hypnobirthing?

It shouldn't be too long before I get to put it into practise! I've been getting fairly strong practise surges (BH) and tightenings every day.

It worked great on the lead up and straight afterwards for me. My surges came on very suddenly (I was 10cms ready to push by the time the midwife arrived!) so didn't have my head in gear for all the right breathing etc. That said, I think the reason I'd made such progress so quickly was because I was sooooo chilled out about the whole birth thing! I'd definately do it again!

Good luck with your little one!! :cloud9:

I had a great experience with hypnobirthing too!! Hoping to get some refresher sessions in before this baby arrives! Sounds like you'll do just fine too xxx

Hi there!

I'm only 11 weeks - still early days - but I really want to try hypnobirthing. I already meditate regularly, a skill I learned at anxiety management classes, and I have found it extremely helpful. How do I find out about hypnobirthing? Will my NHS midwife have information at my booking appt next week? Or is this something I'll need to pursue privately? Also, when do you start practicing the techniques?

And to the OP - how's it going?

Thanks! X

Aaaargh - double posted and can't figure out how to delete this. Damn you, iPhone! :)

Hiya Tampa, Great news on wanting to pursue hypnobirthing! Sadly it's something that you'll pay for privately - but very much worth it (she very quickly adds)

xx

I didn't get the birth I wanted (quite an understatement really) but I actually think hypnobirthing really saved my life. The relaxations that I did every night really taught me how to be confident and voice my opinion even in the events I was going through.

The thing for me though was the hypnobirthing alone wasn't stopping the "pain" I hate to use that word because I kept it out of my vocabulary for so long but there was no other word for it. In the beginning the were "strong" and "intense" but then there hit a point where it went past that. For me though she was slowly turning back to back without even realizing it. I could get into a level of relaxation and nobody would even know I was in pain but I would feel it. It was hard to explain this to anyone. They thought I was doing so well, when in fact I was just masking what was happening to me. I personally started to feel like a failure towards the end because I thought I was doing it wrong or something. But looking back I realized it was just a bit too much for my body.

I'm telling you this not to scare you AT ALL! Because seriously you're bound to have an amazing experience like so many other women have had with hypnobirthing. I just wish someone would have told me that it's ok to feel the "pain" through the relaxations. That the pain is a good feeling in the end and needs to be felt. I was told over and over again I shouldn't feel pain, that labouring is natural and if I did the relaxations properly I wouldn't feel anything. Which I think is still possible! I just think there are some times when things can go a bit off but it doesn't mean you still can't use hypno to the best of your ability and it doesn't make you a failure. (I wanted someone to tell me that before, so now I'm telling anyone who wants to read it) :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated!!

I don't know what to expect to be honest....some days I feel pretty confident but some days I keep getting anxious about the birth(which I know goes against the whole hypnobirthing thing).

I just wish someone would have told me that it's ok to feel the "pain" through the relaxations. That the pain is a good feeling in the end and needs to be felt. I was told over and over again I shouldn't feel pain, that labouring is natural and if I did the relaxations properly I wouldn't feel anything.

I think this is really important actually Jenniflower, as some of the hypnobirthing stories are so so amazing 'I got to 10cms without even realising it' so it's easy to build this amazing birth up in your mind, when the reality maybe quite a shock and very different for you. I really really hope that my birth using the hypnobirthing technique (best I can) will give me that, but I also remember what a surge/contraction actually feels like and I know it did hurt, although I was very tense and I'm hoping that was a big factor.

Everyones experiences are different so it's great to hear both sides, and go in with a positive relaxed body and mind, I'm sure the relaxation techniques must at least help, as I regret not 'learning' any before my previous birth, I think I was so relaxed I just thought I'd knew how to get through them, my body would do what it needed to do etc... (I should note my baby also went back to back which is known for making surges/contractions more painful too).

To the PP yes hypnobirthing has certainly helped alleviate alot of fear I had about childbirth too. I'm hoping that floaty feeling is where I need to be aswell as I can get there too, it's really great. Good luck and look forward to hearing the birth story within the next few weeks! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->