I am a bit worried about Chloe's development - A little update :-)

poppykat

Mummy to Chloe and Mia
Reaction score
I don't post in here very often but love keeping up to date with all your beautiful babies. :flower: Just after a bit of advise if you don't mind...

Chloe was born at 34+6 due to fetal distress but because she was 6lb 5oz I have always had a hard time not comparing her to full term babies which have a similar birth date to her (if that makes sense?!) Chloe is now almost 7months old (6 corrected) and weighs nearly 20lb...little chunk!

I am a bit worried about her development though. She still does not roll over or sit up unaided. She does try sometimes to roll but doesn't put a lot of effort into it and has never rolled over completely on her own. I see babies who were even born around her due date and they are doing so much her than her. There is also a thread in the baby club about babies rolling over and sitting up and alot are saying 3-4months old, or standing whilst being supported etc. Chloe doesn't do any of it :nope: I feel guilty enough about the awful start Chloe had and I just feel like I am still letting her down now :cry::cry:

Sorry about the miserable self pitying post. Having a bad day I think xx

:hugs:

At my mother & baby group there is a fullterm little girl at 7 months who isn't rolling. All babies are different and develop in certain areas quicker than others so try not to worry.

All the babies I know (fullterm and prem) very few rolled or sat up at 3-4 months. Sometimes in baby club it feels like loads of them are doing it but it's actually only a small number in comparison to the actual number of users in that group.

I was just gonna post a thread similar to this, I keep thinking that my boys will be sitting up soon but they just don't show any sign of sitting up anytime soon at all! It will happen when it happens, all babies are different!

Plus when it does happen, they dont forget it do they?! I remember when my twins started smiling, since they started, they havent stopped since, it was so quick like overnight!! Now I can make them smile all I want and I don't really think back to the days when I used to get upset thinking "when will they smile?!?!" :D:D xxxxx

Gaby has only really mastered sitting unaided in the last couple of weeks and she has now started trying to crawl! They all do it in their own good time.

Not rolling at six months, and considering her weight (which please do not be offended by this next part..)...there is really nothing to worry about. Babies with slightly more weight tend to roll later, and given that she was early (even just a month) those two things combined, really I would not worry. If she isn't rolling by eight months, I would have her into the doctor or seen by your HV.

Lakai rolled around 4 months, and was 17 week early. And yet I have friends with 7 month old babies who were not even a day early, who are still not rolling.

Babies born at 35 weeks, are still early. And though it's very tough to not compare, please try not too, as it's still unfair to your beautiful daughter who will get there on her own time.

Does she do a lot of tummy time? This is something I swear by, tummy time is so important especially for our preemies. If she does not like it, try different things to a. make it more interesting (lay on the floor with her, show/read books to her, give her new toys to look at) and b. make it easier for her by placing a rolled up towel directly beneath her armpits and cross her chest, this will take some of the pressure and weight off her arms and make it easier for her. I did this for Lakai and it truly did help.

You can also lay her on back (as babies tend to learn to roll from back to front first, but always) and help her learn to roll. Gently take one leg on the opposite side of her body to the direction you are trying to encourage her to roll and gently move it across her body in that same direction, if this is not enough 'help' also do so with her arms. Make sure this is on a soft but firm surface.

She will get there hon, trust me! And if none of this eases your mind, take her in to be seen by the dr/HV now so maybe they can offer some suggestions too.

Hey hun
I can totally relate. I went through a phase of HATING baby club - some members would boast about how their baby is doing 'this' and I'd ask myself "Why cant be 100% fit in to this 'club' :cry:

When it turns out, preemie or not, they do it in their own time. Alex only sat up with the help of the distraction that is Lady Gaga. She doesnt crawl, she swims across the carpet - its her way! She has begun cruising furnature but i cant stress how recent it all was but how quickly it all came together!

Andrew mastered rolling around 6m corrected, mastered crawling around a year actual (9m corrected), and has only just demonstrated that he can do sitting - so he's done things out of order :D I know that he's behind developmentally and I've given up comparing him to others.

Thank you everyone :hugs::hugs: Really do appreciate the support and advise.

I am not going to look at development threads in baby club anymore!! I am quite a laid back parent so I don't know why I am getting myself so stressed out by it all. I will start to try and encourage her to roll so thanks for the tip.

And I will also put the music video channel tomorrow and look out for Lady GaGa :rofl:

x

Just thought I would update you and let you know that out of the blue Chloe started sitting up yesterday! She can sit unaided for about 10 minutes! I am a very proud mummy :cloud9:

For some reason I can not upload the photo on here but here is a link to it...hope it works!!

https://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2869/sam0228.jpg

Yey!!!

See thats normally the drill, they wait til theres a concern, then they do it! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->