I can't decide if I should do a private gender scan!

bamluby

Reaction score
DH and I were originally going to be patient and wait until the 20 week anatomy scan, but now that I have hit the 15 week mark and know that an ultrasound could potentially reveal the gender I can't stop thinking about it! Well let's be honest, I knew it was going to be hard for me to wait.

I looked up locations and reviews for places that do private scans, and I found a good place that has openings all week. I'm not worried about the cost, I just keep going back and forth about whether we should go for it or not.

Did any of you ladies debate whether it was worth it to do the private scan or wait? I feel silly for putting so much thought into this, but on one hand I keep thinking about how I haven't decided whether I wanted to do a gender reveal and I may not be able to wait to tell people, and that sometimes the accuracy of private scans is questionable, etc. On the other hand, I would would simply love to know if we have a little boy or girl in there!

What influenced your decision to wait or do a private scan if you had the option?

For me, id rather wait till 24+ weeks and do a scan then. You get a better look at baby and can act as a double check at the gender.

The good thing about a private gender scan is that it's all about the happiness of finding out boy or girl rather than an anatomy scan which are obviously purely medical. On the other hand waiting 20 weeks is nice as its a lovely half way present! Last time I waited for the anatomy scan and this time I just couldn't wait so had an early gender scan also my OB does quick gender scans at 17 weeks which was nice. If you want cute pics and a nice non medical experience I'd book a gender scan :)

I didn't even consider a private scan. It didn't make sense when you get the anatomy scan that tells you anyway. Seemed like a bit of a waste.

I just felt like the $100-150 I would spend on the private scan would be better off being used towards something for the baby. We could certainly afford it, but it seems a little pointless. I'd rather just wait the three or four weeks and have my insurance cover it. Then again, I'm always pretty cheap! Ha :)

I'm waiting until birth, personally, but it's so hard to wait. Then, I was tempted by a 75% off special to find out the gender. For $25, I can find out at 16 weeks, so I booked it. BUT, I'm bringing my friend to find out for me and keep it a secret from me. I already hate being Team Yellow

Those are all great points. Thanks ladies! I appreciate the input. The scan is $65 and includes printed pictures and a CD with pictures, as well as an additional free scan if gender can't be determined because of baby's position. It didn't seem terribly priced, but I agree waiting until later on would offer better images and I wouldn't have to pay anything at all to wait for my 20 week scan (or I could spend it on other necessary baby items). Lucy3, I do like the idea of finding out the gender in a more informal, "cozy" setting though. When it comes down to it, I guess nothing really changes whether I decide to wait or not. I'm just so thankful to be having this baby, and as long as he/she is healthy that is all that matters.:cloud9:

BrandiCanucks, I'm sure there are days where you are feeling antsy about being Team Yellow, but I have always loved the idea of women waiting until birth to find out! I think it's amazing and would totally do it if I thought I had enough willpower. Good for you!!!

I think if you can afford it go for it! I had three private scans with my ds, gender included.
This time I've stuck to the nhs (free) scans only, but only because we have a bigger house, ds and less free money then before!

I have two of each, so it's my tie breaker baby. I won't be completely Team Yellow. Only my best friend will know my baby's sex and will buy everything for Baby for me. If I see something girlish that I like, I just have to snap a picture, text it to her, and she'll pick it up the next time she goes there and hide it from my until the baby is born. So at the end, I'll have everything gender specific I need without knowing the sex.

My ultrasound package, the gender scan alone is normally $99 but they had a special on that if you buy their Silver package (which I already had and booked in for November), you could add on an earlier gender scan for $25 so I did.

I did one with my last at 17 weeks and found out it was a little girl, I already had an older DS. I bought an entire wardrobe, told all my family and fully decided on tying my tubes. At my 20 week anatomy scan HE was very obviously a boy. I was devastated. After ashamedly ugly crying for the entire scan, I had to return all the clothes and retell everyone about the mistake. With this one, I'm waiting until the 20 week scan. I'd just rather the picture be more accurate and the baby be more developed. It was a very neat experience though. I enjoyed the extra time they spent just showing me parts of the baby and the cd is wonderful. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. <3

I had a private 3D gender scan at 15wks and it was sooo worth it :) It is amazing having 3D pics of him at only 15wks, everyone I've shown has been blown away and it was most definitely a boy, very obvious. It was just a lovely experience, and it's true that at the 20 wk scan it is purely medical and the gender part of it is just a tiny part of it. At the private scan place there was a huge screen on the wall and we got the whole scan on a DVD :) If the cost doesn't bother you and you can't wait, then I say do it :)

Everyone in real life thought I was silly for paying for a private gender scan at 17 weeks when the 'free' one was at 20 weeks....but in hindsight I'm so pleased I did! The guy at babybond was so thrilled to tell us that we were having a girl and took time to show us all her bits! He was lovely! When we went to 20 week scan it was very medical...she sort of when 'there's the bladder.....functioning well....it's a girl....let's take a look at the heart....' And other half and I were like 'sorry? A girl?' She didn't know that we'd already had private scan so that was her telling us the sex! We were ecstatic that she'd confirmed the scan but in hindsight it wouldn't have been that great if that was us finding out for the first time!

We did. Not necessarily for the gender but that was an added bonus. Purely because this is our only pregnancy (twins, most certainly don't want more than two!). We had out first scan at 11 weeks and our next in three days. We did the private scan at 16 weeks because I felt like I was missing out on my babies. I wanted to see them in between so I could bond with them and not miss too much waiting so long in between hospital scans. It was soooo worth it. Ive got a beautiful DVD of my children to show them when they are older and remember forever xx

We did not do private with out first, but i was really tempted. Have DS, second time around i wanted a girl and was desperate to find out, so no way i could wait till 20 weeks. Had my scan at 16+2 and enjoyed the experience, so if you can afford it and want to find early, go for it!

It game me extra reassurance when at 20 weeks they confirmed it was a girl. Plus i am not fan of 3D scans (i find them bit creepy :), so was no point to wait or do it later

I definitely find them worth it! Not just for the gender scan oart, but the 20 week one is so formal and more about medical issues. Elective is about finding gender and watching your baby move around inside of you.

We did this at 16 weeks and it was worth every penny!!

What everyone else said is true - the other scans you have will be to look for medical issues so the focus will be on that. At our gender scan though, we just got to sit back and watch our little guy play - it was the most amazing thing ever!!

Like others mentioned, I also didn't want to wait so long to see him again. My last medical scan was at 11 weeks 6 days, and my next one isn't until 20 weeks 2 days - I didn't want to miss seeing him for all that time in between.

Seeing him in 3D was amazing (we have a video of him sucking his thumb in 3D!), and of course the videos and pictures we ended up with were priceless. We paid $85 and my MIL (who came with me) couldn't believe it - based on the experience we had she thought I had paid somewhere between $300 and $500!!

It was nothing to us to pay $85, so if the money isn't a problem for you either I would 120% recommend it.

I've attached 2 of the photos we got: one in 3D, and a potty shot. :)

Attachments

• 4D2.jpg
    4D2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 4
  • I'm a Boy!!.jpg
    I'm a Boy!!.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 7
We have always done one at 16 weeks. I'm very impatient and fine the 20
Week scan quite stressful and formal.. Sometimes don't feel like I should even ask gender with some of the people that scan.. They are just v focused on checking baby which is fair enough. Our gender scans are so relaxed and lovely, we had one today.. Told girl
After 3 boys and she spent so much time
Confirming it from the two apparent angles that show it's a girl I feel
Very confident she's right xx

I don't have any choice but to wait for the 20 week scan. I live in a small town and we're lucky to have a radiography dept full stop.

If I had the option I would totally do it though. I think nice pics and a dvd would be a great keepsake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->