I caved and I feel absolutely awful :( (codeine)

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I'm feeling absolutely awful :( after my mc in July I am now 5+6 with my second baby. I have been incredibly stressed since finding out but have had no caffeine, alcohol or anything else I shouldn't have and have been taking my vitamins and extra folic acid religiously.

My main problem is I can't sleep, and the last 4 nights I've had barely 2 hours a night and it's seriously affecting my mental and physical state . Thus morning after trying everything else at 2am I was literally screaming for sleep and I did something silly. I looked around the house in desperation for anything I could find to help . I found some codeine and after reading an NHS article that says there is no evidence of ill effects in the first tri I took 1 tablet so half a dose.

As with everything on the internet there are mixed results when you search, some say there's no evidence if harm and some say it shouldn't be taken but now after 3 hours sleep I'm completely freaking out and feeling terrible. I was desperate but now I really wish I hadn't :(

Please someone reassure me?

Xx

I wouldn't say make a habit out of it, but I have had friends who gave birth to perfectly healthy babies after doing much worse than that early on. They didn't know they were pregnant, not paying attention to cycles and such, getting drunk, smoking cigarettes and doing other stuff a pregnant woman just shouldn't do. I think one found out when she was almost 7 weeks. Her baby was okay.

Why not talk to your doc about what is safe to take for sleeplessness while pregnant?

I've been waking up a lot during night. It sucks. I know how desperate you were. I just drink some water and read or watch something boring.

Don't worry I won't be doing it again! I think it was just in my sleep deprived state after being up 4 nights in a row I was just desperate and crazy :( I'm finding it hard to function and getting very stressed about the pregnancy and this really won't help! I've spent all morning googling it and all I can hope is that a single half dose is much better than regular use. Basically the impression I get is that there is no evidence from studies of it being dangerous but not enough studies have been done to confirm it. I suspect my gp will say there's nothing you can take for sleeplessness. They're extremely cautious over here I think!

Thanks x

Well, it is always better to be safe!

I just read an article on Web MD that said AMBIEN!! is safe for short periods during pregnancy. Goodness knows, that crap will make you hallucinate.

Codeine is completely safe in pregnancy! It is only in the 3rd trimester that you have to be cautious incase the baby becomes addicted to it.

When I suffered SPD with my 1st I was told to take it. Don't worry xx

Codeine is ok as far as I know in small amounts. X

I agree aslong as your not doing it every day :)! I hope you can get some sleep soon :)

I was prescribed and took it almost daily in my last pregnancy don't worry x

When I was 3-4 weeks pregnant I had a nasty cold and took nyquil nightly for a week. I had no idea I was pregnant. I'm only 7 weeks now and have yet to have a scan. But I've been getting symptoms normally such as round ligament pain, ms, and achey breasts. I'm suppose to have a scan in two days. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Thank you! You're all lovely. Luckily my friends dad is the head of pharmacy at our local hospital and I called him and he said it would have no effect. He also said there at medicines you can take for morning sickness and one of them is in an OTC sleep remedy called sominex. You are allowed up to 150mg a day during pregnancy and each tablet only has 20mg. I've had then before and 1 is usually pretty effective . I will try to just take half occasionally as it's always best to avoid anything in pregnancy but I think it will solve the problem and just break thus pattern . Thank you so much xx

Try not to worry hun I accidentally took an out of date antibiotic for a UTI :/ but was told all should be ok xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->