I Could Use Some Encouragment!

beckyjoy4405

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I am in my 28th week, and really starting to think about birth plan. I want soOoO badly to have an unmedicated labor and delivery. Half of the time I feel strongly that I can do it. Half of the time I think I wont make it very long. This is my first, so I have no idea what to expect other than obviously having a baby hurts like hell lol. I do think I have a good tolerance for pain, but really not knowing what Im up against scares me. My OH is SOOO very supportive of whatever I choose, and he will be the only one in the room with me. I am also not really sharing my plan for a natural birth with to many family or friends because I dont want to much pressure.

What advice can you give me? Should I just chill out, hope it goes how I want, but just go with the flow when the time comes?

Thanks!

Have you read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth? If not, pick up a copy and start reading it. I actually find it to be incredibly inspiring and encouraging. The birth stories at the front are great, but the chapters at the back are also really helpful. They can really help you to reframe the way you think of birth. Basically, if you go in expecting it will be painful and difficult to cope with, it will. But if you go in expecting it to be intense but manageable, it will be that. Not all women have births they describe as 'painful' and it might help you to read some accounts of those and get your confidence back up. Also, just know that many, many women in our generation and the ones before have had natural births. It's the norm rather than the exception, and you don't have to be any different. Of course, you can do it too.

Also, what about your birth team, in addition to your husband? Are your doctors or midwives supportive of a natural birth? Are you giving birth in an environment that will support that desire, and also have the tools to help you get there (birth pool, massage, birth ball, ability to be upright and mobile, etc.)? Are you trying any natural pain relief approaches, like hypnobirthing? Maybe doing something like that would make you feel more active and prepared. In general, I think making sure those practicalities are taken care of might help you feel more confident too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->