I didn't expect that :(

KiraLeigh

New FTM after LTTTC!! :D
Reaction score
I wasn't going to write this post, but I haven't been able to think about anything else all day and I really need to get this down somewhere.

Based on my lmp I was 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant yesterday. But before I go into what happened yesterday, let me give you a bit of background.

My last period was on the 18th May and I took letrozole CD 3-7. I didn't chart ovulation but I guess I ovulated between CD14 and CD18. My next period was due on the 15th June and that is when I took my first pregnancy test, it was very very faintly positive. Due to previous miscarriages and having many pregnancy tests, I decided to test daily.

The tests got a little darker but not as dark as I would have expected so on Friday I rang my Dr and I was referred to the EPAU.

Now this brings us to yesterday where at the EPAU I was scanned to find out was going on. What they found was.....nothing. Absolutely no sign of a pregnancy in my uterus. At almost 6 weeks pregnant they expected to see at least a sac but no.

It's possible that I am earlier in my pregnancy than originally thought but based on when I got my first positive test I would say it could only be out by a few days.

The other option is that the pregnancy is ectopic which scares the living day lights out of me.

They took blood and I will have to go back on Monday for more blood work.

So here's my dilemma. If my blood work shows my HCG levels are doubling as they should, do I hold off for another scan? But at the same time risk a possible ectopic rupturing? If I opt for methotrexate to end a possible ectopic asap I could possibly be ending a perfectly healthy but extremely early normal pregnancy.

I don't know what to do :(

Could also possibly be a chemical pregnancy. Did they tell you if your uterine lining had thickened?

If doubling, and no pain, I'd wait a week. However if during that week you experience any pain, go straight to emergency.

With my second pregnancy I had hcg levels of over 3000 at about 5+4 weeks and still nothing was seen on ultrasound (except thickened lining). They also thought it could be ectopic. I went back a few days later and we could see a little flickering heartbeat and the sac was exactly where it was supposed to be. Sometimes it's just too early. I think you should wait a little bit longer. Good luck.

Maybe being that little but earlier has made a difference? Best of luck x

Hi there, I have had an ectopic so understand how you're feeling right now. This is just my experience but, I didn't test positive until I was about 8 weeks or so. I didn't miss a period until I was 8 weeks, I had strange red/brown bleeding which made me go to the EPU, my lining had not thickened at all (was about 9 weeks), and they saw a 'mass' in one of my tubes. My hospital didn't operate or give me the injection as my levels were very (VERY!) slowly falling. I also had a dull pain in my side which was due to the pregnancy.

As far as I am aware, if this turns out to be worse case scenario and you are right with your dates, an ectopic pregnancy will not rupture until it is a good size and normally there are warning signs before this (bleeding browny red & isolated pain on the one side). Go in for your second bloods in a couple of days and see what the results are. If you do start to get isolated pain (sort of like a stitch right where your tube is, but doesn't get better even if you move/lie a certain way) then I suggest you get down to A&E or call your EPU. X

Hun my friend had almost this EXACT situation. She went in at about 5+4 and had a scan. They couldn't see anything at all except for thickened lining, they told her the pregnancy was likely ectopic, said "sorry for your loss" and booked her in for a repeat scan and "medical management" in two weeks.
She went back in two weeks and there was a baby. It has a heartbeat. And it was in her uterus. Not in her tubes. They said it was probably that she was a bit earlier than they had thought at the first scan (some babies just develop slower or faster than others).
I have everything crossed for you! My friend now has a healthy one year old so there can be good outcomes from this x

I'm going through the exact same thing right now! I am so nervous and feel like a ticking time bomb just waiting for something bad to happen. I had a little bit of brown spotting the other day so my ob wanted to see me on what I thought was 5+5 (bug could've been as early as 5+3) and they saw nothing in my uterus either! They rechecked a beta (1921) and it was doubling fine compared to the week before so they sent me to the hospital for a more detailed ultrasound and they couldn't find anything out of my uterus either! This was all on Friday. I go in tomorrow for another beta and ultrasound Thursday. Although I'm going to see about doing ultrasound earlier. I'm a nervous wreck not knowing what's going on. And if it is ectopic I want to treat it ASAP too. It took me 3 years to get pregnant so I can only imagine how difficult it would be without a tube!

Best of luck to you. I'll be hoping for a good update!!!

Have everything crossed ladies.

I'm in a similar situation except at 6+2 all they saw was a sac and a yolk. No baby yet and no heartbeat. Getting scanned again on Thursday when I will be 7+4

I'm going through the exact same thing right now! I am so nervous and feel like a ticking time bomb just waiting for something bad to happen. I had a little bit of brown spotting the other day so my ob wanted to see me on what I thought was 5+5 (bug could've been as early as 5+3) and they saw nothing in my uterus either! They rechecked a beta (1921) and it was doubling fine compared to the week before so they sent me to the hospital for a more detailed ultrasound and they couldn't find anything out of my uterus either! This was all on Friday. I go in tomorrow for another beta and ultrasound Thursday. Although I'm going to see about doing ultrasound earlier. I'm a nervous wreck not knowing what's going on. And if it is ectopic I want to treat it ASAP too. It took me 3 years to get pregnant so I can only imagine how difficult it would be without a tube!

I know exactly what you mean with regards to feeling like a ticking time bomb. I am monitoring every twinge and cramp!

I know exactly what you mean with regards to feeling like a ticking time bomb. I am monitoring every twinge and cramp!

Ugh me too. Every time I feel a minor ache/cramp I wonder if I should be getting in the car and going to the hospital. It's tortuous. At least I'm no longer spotting but who knows what that really means. I cannot wait for the next few days to be over. I am sick with worry and just want to crawl into a ball and cry. And also I've read the methotrexate won't work as well once betas are over 5000. If mine keep going up good they'll be about that by tomorrow!

Laura best of luck to you too on Thursday. I hope you see a beautiful hb.

Hi. Sorry about what you're going through. I measured 5w5d at my U/s on Friday. By my lmp I was 8 weeks. So that's a full 2 weeks difference!! If you're just under 6 weeks by your lmp- you could be a couple of weeks less pregnant than that. So it's very possible that this early on they wouldn't see on your scan! Hang in there.

EDIT* Thought I should let you know that while my AF was due at the latest May 28th- I didn't test positive until June 10th! Was also testing every day. You could've tested positive VERY early. Even if you ovulated just slightly later than you thought- it may still take a week for the embryo to implant (up to 10 days, I think?)- You wouldn't begin producing hcg until after implantation. So, if you ovulated just SLIGHTLY late and were on the longer end of implantation- this creates a pretty big GA gap. All things considered- I think you can safely assume that it's just a little too early to see on U/S and hopefully you can expect to see that yolk sac in a week or two.

AND I tested neg on my blood work at my doc's office a week after my period was due. (went for bw as I my hpt's were still neg. My doctor could've easily offered me something to get my period going and this pregnancy could've been missed. I'm not sure how dangerous it can be to wait when an ectopic is suspected. But, I may want confirmation of an ectopic before I took anything.
Sending my best!

I had an ectopic in 2010, I had no pregnancy symptoms and I got a positive hot whilst on the pill as I tested due to having an upset stomach.

I was referred to hospital after having a watery bleed, turns out I was about 10weeks pregnant and the bleed was an internal bleed.just starting due to my tube being ruptured

I ended up losing my right tube

Play it safe and don't take any chances hun, get them to rescan

I had a scan at 4wks, 5wks and 6 weeks with my little boy through epu to ensure he was in the right place

And I had a scan at 6 weeks this time

Well ladies....I started spotting last night. It started dark red, turned very dark brown and is now red again. At the moment there isn't enough to show up on a sanitary pad and only appears when I wipe or in the toilet bowl (tmi sorry). I have no pain or cramping with it.

I had my second lot of BETA's drawn today and I get the results tomorrow morning.

I think at this point I have lost hope of the pregnancy being viable so I am hoping my numbers have fallen and I am miscarrying naturally. That way I can try again next month.

If my numbers are static, or have only risen slightly I think I will opt to have methotrexate. It will put me out of the running for 3 months but at least this way I am not putting a tube at risk should it be ectopic. x

So so sorry to hear. :hugs: it's all really unfair.

I'll be taking the methotrexate tomorrow. My beta is up to 3600 and still nothing in my uterus on us today. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Hubs and I are completely devastated. Hoping you get the news you're wanting tomorrow. But be sure to go in ASAP if you get any pain or significant bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->