• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I don't agree with Dr advice confused on what to do

Evana

Reaction score
My daughter turned 1 year old a few days ago and at her Dr app she weighed 9.3 kg/20 lb height / head circumference on schedule .

She was exclusively bf for 6 months and then I started to wean ..she has been a very picky eater from beginning and in fact does not have interest in food unless it's chocolate /pudding or custard based and then too she eats very little of it...still breastfeeding on demand.

Refuses to eat veggies or fruits

Dr said she should be 10 kg at 1 year mark and I should cut down on bf especially the night feeds I should cut out completely..so I can wean..

my worry is if she refuses to eat and I cut bf would that not be worse and counter productive coz then she does not have any nutrients or kal and might loose more weight.. I now feed first then bf ..and from what I read night feeding should be the last to go ??

Any mothers who is in the same boat ?? What are you feeding your lo to pack on the pounds??

I find this odd as many mothers breastfeed until theyre 2years old.

Saying any baby should be a specific weight by 1 year is a generalization. It surely depends on how your baby has been gaining weight so far! If she's following the same percentile then I wouldn't worry at all. My LO didn't take to solids really until after a year, she was alllll about the breastmilk. I think it's actually fairly common for breastfed babies to be a bit slow to start eating solids regularly.

I'd say it's about your approach to parenting really. Who do you think knows best whether your child is hungry?

I would always say the child knows best, after all it's their tummy, unless there is something else going on like a medical problem.

I would start encouraging solids more but not aggressively (I'd completely cut out chocolate pudding and custard until LO is eating healthier foods too and just take a BLW approach - leave finger foods out for LO all day if you can and let her try new things and graze at her leisure) but continue BF on demand for as long as you're both happy with this. Doctors have no place in the BF relationship unless they are a BF expert and there is an actual problem with BF, which there isn't here.

I have a limited answer but would like to chime in.
My breastmilk was a rocky road, baby wasn't gaining weight fast enough in the beginning, I started having problems producing as early as 3 weeks and gave up at close to 4 months. Now, baby just turned one year, and he still needs those late night feedings. The good part is that instead of waking 4 hours after bedtime, he wakes closer to 7, which is so much easier for me!!! But I'm not going to starve him just because it's dark out! If he was a teenager I might say get out of the fridge and back in bed, but at a year old (and I know this is going to sound "judgy") but I, personally, don't understand allowing a baby to go 10-14 hours without a feed! Their little bodies are different than ours. It's still hard on me to get up during the night, but I'm more concerned about my little baby whose belly rumbles once he starts sucking down that bottle.
So, short story long, I agree with not cutting out the night feeds!

With regard to the food... does she show interest in the things you eat? Usually at about 9-10 months old they start showing interest in everything the adults/other kids are eating. Mine did at 10.5 months, although he had a real tough time with accepting everything he tried. So I ran out and got a bunch of Gerber Graduates stuff - like the cereal puffs (really soft cereal, practically melt in mouth), cereal bars (soft versions of fig newtons), banana cookies (these are soft and he likes, but they're really dry), and little crunchies (a softer version of what we call in the States: Cheese Curls and they have all different flavors). I didn't give him anything that I didn't try first. AND because mommy was eating it first it sparked his interest. Because he doesn't want anything that I don't eat first. Even with only 4 teeth, he loves this stuff and he likes picking up the cereal puffs and the little crunchies and finding his mouth with them. Yet, he wants nothing to do with stage 3 baby foods, he chokes on them and spits out the chunks of pasta or veggies! So, he's still on formula, stage 2 foods, gerber graduate snacks, and a very tiny variety of adult foods while I'm going insane trying to find things that I can give him.

Also, my son has maintained all his "growing numbers" within the 75th percentile for several months now. So, I'm not concerned.
Food transitioning is very difficult though. I don't think it really matters about breastfeeding or formula feeding that makes it easier vs. more difficult. I see the phrase "picky eater" thrown around a LOT! Therefore, I think that most babies have some difficulty transitioning - some will have more difficulty, some less. I'm currently trying to move my son from infant oatmeal to adult oatmeal. I've always mixed his with baby food fruits and now I mix the adult oatmeal with his baby food fruit. He's giving me a little trouble because he's not chewing it! The infant stuff could just go right down.

So, it is hard in my opinion. I'm trying to be firm with the oatmeal. But other things are easier - like pasta. Like I said though, as long as he sees me eating it first!

I would prioritise food over BM (offering first as you have been), but also try not to make a big deal of it. Offer lots of things, a really wide variety, particularly of new foods you may not have tried in the past and sit back and let her do what she wants. And don't feel like you need to fall back on foods you know she'll eat all the time. If she's hungry, she'll eat or she'll top up on BM later. It's okay to offer her things you know she likes sometimes, but also start to feel comfortable letting her refuse things she doesn't want without substituting in something else. And just know that the period from around 9-12 months can be really rough with picky eating. Our daughter is not a picky eater at all, but she went through a spell from 9-11 months when she'd pretty much only eat fruit and yogurt. It's just a weird phase. I just kept offering lots of things, and then occasionally also things I knew she'd eat, plus kept up the milk as needed. One day I offered her a slice of broccoli and tomato quiche, and she ate the whole thing, plus another slice! After that, she was fine again. Just stick with it, don't try to make a big deal out of it or let it stress you out, and don't feel pressured to do anything that doesn't feel right. My 19 month old doesn't weigh much more than 10 kg (she was 10 kg when we weighed her about 2 months ago and I don't think she's much bigger now) and she's on the 60th centile for her age. 10 kg for a 1 year old is on the bigger side! She's fine. Not need to worry about not getting enough calories or nutrition.

Thanks everyone for your reply she is 14 months now and one day just out of the blue refused custard / and all things she was eating and started eating proper food ...
I have locked down lunch and dinner schedule and now working on breakfast ...

Thank you mind utopia for letting me know her weight is fine
I was so worried as for her age she is easily the smallest baby in the play area seeing that and Dr comment I got panicked ..I have changed her ped now ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->