I don't wanna go on antidepressants

m0mmyCool

Me, OH, and our 2 boys.
Reaction score
Nothing is working for my depression. I started a healthy lifestyle 2 weeks ago. Exercise and eating right. I take omega 3 fish oil. I gave up my bad habits of having wine at night when the kids go to sleep(not to get drunk but to feel relaxed. It was something to look forward to everyday) ever since I feel like I'm getting worse. I dread getting out of bed in the morning, I never feel content but when I do it's precious because its so rare. I'm more irritable than ever. I'm not a fun person to be around and feel sorry for my husband and kids. But I just DON'T want to be on medication for the rest of my life just so I can feel ok. :'(

Have you tried counselling? I had this on and off for a few years! It helped me so much especially when I was self harming.

Counselling is a good option to look into, somewhere you can go and just chat as much as you want to somebody who doesn't know you & wouldn't judge you. They help a lot.
I know how you feel about the medication, I've seen people on them & they're pretty much on them forever because they rely on them so they'd never be an option for me either.

Also, yoga/meditation may sound a bit weird but proven to help, have a look into classes around your area & see if your available to join in. Different things work for different people.

I hope your feeling better soon! X

I can relate totally as I have an history of depression / anxiety. I also decided to never go back on meds. It sounds like you're doing better choices, lifestylewise. Unfortunately, it takes more than 2 weeks to see a difference. About 6 months. I know, i know. Your system is all messed up and it takes time to get it healthy again. Try magnesium powder and also acupuncture and chinese herbs (you need to find a TCM practitioner that can taylor a cocktail especially for you). Exercising is definitely what worked for me, but I know it's hard to get motivated when you feel down.

Have you by any chance had your magnesium levels checked? There's a huge link between magnesium deficiency and depression . . might be worth looking into :) Here are some links!

https://www.real-depression-help.com/magnesium-for-depression.html

https://www.nutritionalmagnesium.org/blog/286-magnesium-and-depression.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/461696-magnesium-dosage-for-depression/

Thanks girls. It's nice to talk to people who understand. My husband doesn't really get it. CMarie Ive been wondering if it was because i had a deficiency. I noticed I've never felt happy much since my youngest was born. I think I'll make an appointment for myself to get checked out and maybe referred to a psychologist if needed.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have the same prob. I have been trying to get help but it seems like all docs want to do is to give ppl drugs so they cna get hook on it and never get fixed. I truly believe that meds for depression does not fix the prob. IT MASK THE RPOB! if we put a mask to our probs nothing will ever get fixed. We have to find a way to be happy without any type of drugs. I get so mad when docs offer me drugs I just won't take them. What happens after the dosage is over? wouldn't I be back to square one? Exactly! when the dosage is over the prob will be still there. This is why we cannot mask or ignore a prob or pretend is not there. The more we ignore the prob and hide it with drugs nothing will be fixed and then we will add more probs to the prob. Docs are getting lazy! I will tell you to try what I do for my depression: go for a walk at night when no one is out, listen to music, take a warm bath, cry it out, and if you got someone you trust tell them how you feel. I know you might not want to make ppl stress with your probs but it does feels better. I wanna know something: what is the reason behind your sadness?

I have no real reason to be sad. All i know is I've been struggling for happiness since I got pregnant with my 2nd. I actually really miss life before.

I have no real reason to be sad. All i know is I've been struggling for happiness since I got pregnant with my 2nd. I actually really miss life before.

If there's no real reason it is probably a deficiency or something to do with your life style, do you take vitamins? Have a word with your doctor hun x

I have bouts of it also. My dad always had it after my mom left. I do have Xanax and I don't abuse it. I take it when I feel that it gets to much and it does calm me down. I am so sorry you are going through this, it is bad and so misunderstood by some :hugs::hugs: You are definitely not alone in this.

I lost my daughter at 22 weeks, so that was my main thing for being depressed, but before that I still had it and had no reason either. Sometimes I think it could be genetic, not sure.

I would also try counseling, it really does help. Anti-depressants are not that bad ( I have never been on them) but they did help my friend a lot.
Like you I didn't want to go on them, Xanax seemed to help me..

Hope you find a solution for this and start feeling better :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Have you considered St John's Wort? It's a natural anti depressant, my mum swears by it :)

It does have contraindications with certain medical conditions and medications, so make sure you check that you're ok to take it before you buy it. You can get it from Boots and places like that, and you normally have to take it for a little while before you notice a difference.

Well done on the healthy lifestyle changes! I would say stick with it though, don't be disheartened because you haven't noticed a change. It can change 4-8 weeks for lifestyle changes to start being noticeable, keep at it!

And try to think positively. I was on anti Ds for a while and came off them when I got pregnant, and now I have to go without. I try to just remember why I am here and the good things in my life. It doesn't work during those darker days... but on a day to day basis it helps keep me a little level.

Good luck sweetie! Try talking about what you feel down, even if you don't know what it is fully. Just try talking, it can really help.

All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"