I dropped Caitlin coming down the stairs

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
:cry:3rd step from the bottom she went straight to the bottom without hitting the steps!

I slipped

It looked like she went right on her head I had an awful image in a split second. I can't shake the vision off.

She has a mark at the side of her face but fed fine is happy smiling focus and pupils etc ok. Out of hours were hopeless so we rang OHs Mum (3 kids and a childminder) she only up the road should her behaviour change & need to go but she seems happy just shook her up plus I screamed which probably scared her more.

I feel such a bad Mummy :cry:

Dont feel bad as awful as it sounds this will be the 1st of many bumps for Miss Caitlin. Hope the wee pet is alright but it was prob more painful for you than it was for her :hugs::hugs:

ah hun, these things do happen but it doesmake you feel like a pice of shit. I dropped the sky remote on Cally's head yesterday, and she screamed the place down :(

I have found the best place to get advice is the NHS direct line 0845 46 47, they have been great when Seren fell off the sofa, poured bleach dow herself, etc etc (see I am a bad mommy too)

I just feel sick to the stomach with myself.

I don't even want to change her upstairs now - will bring her stuff down.

What was the advice you got from Seren falling of fthe sofa Beanie? It was probably the same height :(

Gosh I've more to come haven't I! I don't want it to though :cry:

:hugs: aw don't feel bad hun. I remember when my daughter was a baby she rolled off the sofa. i was sitting beside her. i felt so bad. I was in shock. It happens to everyone though hun so dont feel bad :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: I think we get more of a fright than them :dohh:

Oh Wobbles! :hugs: That must have been very scary for you! Remember, though babies are very flexible and can take more knocks than we can! It probably hasn't done her any harm - glad she seems to be okay! She'll probs get a lot more bumps and bruises when she's learning to crawl / walk / climb... try to stay calm when it happens - their reaction is largely a reflection of your own, so try to react calmly and so will she! (I know it's not easy.)

Remember as well, this wasn't your fault and you couldn't have known or prevented this from happening. It certainly doesn't make you a bad mommy! This does make me feel glad I live in a bungalow, though - I'm such a clutts!

Oh hun. I know its awful at the time and I only know too well. There must be something in the air today as I put Olivia down on the couch and thought I had padded her in with cushions whilst I was going to put the kettle on I heard an awful scream from Olivia and hysterical crying & returned into the lounge to see her face down on the floor. The cushions had obviosuly slipped & so had Olivia. Thing is I never leave her on the couch but she was asleep & didnt want to disturb her. I was also hysterical for about 2 hours after but like Caitlin Olivia seems very well within herself.

I have just been checking up on her constantly... One of the things to look out for wobbles is if she is much sleepier than normal & change in the squishy bit on top of their heads.

I have been beating myself up about it all day but deep down I know accidents happen & you need to think the same. I also thought that Chris came home from work because he thought I wasnt responsible enough to look after her. But really I knew it was just because I had got myself in such a state...

I really do swear there must be something in the air today and one of the scariest days of my life. :hugs: :hugs:

:hugs::hugs::hugs: awww big hugs to you wobbles, sounds like you had a fright, my friends a midwife and she dropped her 3rd baby like you coming downstairs, baby in one hand glass of water in other, even the professionals have accidents hun, im sure Cailtin got lots of hugs after it happened and is going to be fiine, (sis-in-law even saw her 2 year old fall down an entire flight of stairs and hit a laminate floor, her little one was ok but mum had a huge fright!!!) XXXX

Oh hun :hugs: There is plenty more to come, but the 1st accident always seems the worst, but you will of got more of a fright than she did, she seems pretty happy still!

If you have any concerns later tho, dont be afraid to go to the hosp and get her checked. She seems fine, I think your in more need to go for ur stress levels hun:blush: :hugs:Have a wee drink! It always calms nerves!

xxx

Calmed down a little

Beanie hope Cally is ok bless her

Stef :hugs: Hope Olivia is ok I'm sure she is too. Definately looking out for how she is. Shes napping now then she has one more feed - generally is tired and sleeps through after her next feed so that may be hard but we have her sensor mat.

I debated to post this or not but I knew it wasn't just me and I guess hearing it has helped. Thanks girls :hugs: x

Oh Wobbs (HUGS)

....These things have happened to us all in one way or another...accidents happen! - All we can do is learn from it and stop it happening again - This parenting malarky is new to most of us and it doesn't come with a handbook! - The other night we put Frankie down in our bed, thought she was safe in the middle...went downstairs..next thing we hear shrill crying on the monitor and me and Paul both go thundering up the stairs and all we see is her legs sticking up...she had rolled to the end of the bed and was wedged between the cot and the bed!

I know its scarey and we all feel like shit after, but i'm sure Caitlin is absolutely fine, as was Frankie...Yes they have a bit of a fright too, but they are resilient little things!

:hugs: Happens to everyone Wobbs, from what my brother said his daughter rolled off the bed three times with three different people before she was the age of 1!!! I hope you and Caitlin are both doing better now :hugs:

Don't beat yourself up about it.. I know what I'm talking about - I posted on here when I caught Ryan's head on the bookshelf. You just feel absolutely physically sick with worry/guilt, but LO forgets about it near enough straight away. Ryan screamed loads afterwards, but soon realised he was hungry, had a bottle and then just decided he wanted to look around the hospital. It's more traumatic for you than it is for Caitlin. :hugs: x

:hugs: Just reading that I can imagine how scared you must have been. You're not a bad mum atall, you just had an accident!

Oh hun, I've smacked Kaya's head off a doorframe before. My mum always says that children survive despite their parents.

Aww hun, im sure she'll be fine. But i know how scary it is! I was so careful with Caeden when i had him and everyone said to me 'Oh wait til the first time you drop him or he falls off something' i was like.. i would never drop him!! 4 months old and i left him on the bed for like 5 minutes, i heard one loud scream then hysterical crying.. went in the room and he was lay face down on the floor! I screamed for my dad and was in tears for about 2 hours.. he was laughing 10 mins after the fall lol guess they are tougher than we think! :roll:

Hope Caitlin is ok and your feeling a little better. :hugs: for you both!

xxx

Cally is fine (she'satough littlenut, Seren kicked her in the head a couple of days ago by accident, poor thing)

NHS Direct just told me to keep an eye on her,if there was anything coming out of her ear or nose,if she seemed very tired, was vomiting a lot etc. If you are at all worried give them a call or go to a&e.

mostof allstop eating yourslf up, the fact you are so upset just shows how much caitlin means to you. my mum dropped me on my face when I was a toddler but she was a fab mum, and so are you

Hi Wobbles (love the name!) - If Caitlin seems just normal to you then don't get stressed! My daughter at about 4 months managed to shovel her way off our bed, where she was sleeping next to me during the day - she couldn't roll over or anything, and the bed is very wide, but I awoke to a heavy plopping sound and found her on the floor! She was a bit shocked (the drop was about a foot or so) and I was bloody terrified/mortified but she was absolutely fine. Yes, there will be more to come!!! It's a learning process for us al...:blush:

Just a little note to tell you that you are not a bad mum it hapens.

christmas morning 2005, my son was one, i was sure i had his hand it must have just slipped (was helping other 2 down stairs also) he fel from top to bottom his whole body flipped around, i screamed and shouted dh (who was already down) i ran down the stairs picked him up, and you know what not One scratch or bruise on him, after a few min he stop crying and was playing.

Needless to say all day long i didnt let him go watching him like a hawk.

so things happen and you do feel reallyyyyyyyy bad i did for ages, i kept replaying it in my head.

i think us mothers react more then the baby, but it is hard not to.

hope you both feel better soon,

sarah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"