I feel like a pin cushion (dont read if u have a needles or blood phobia)

mummypeanut

baby due march 10th
Reaction score
I dont know what was going on for the midwife last week but i needed one blood test and ended up with three attempts in three different places, massive bruising and now ive had a letter from the lab saying when they got the blood but its clotted so they cant test it.

Is there any reason that pregnancy would make my blood hard to take? Shes gonna re visit next week and try again :nope:

My blood is always hard to take when i'm feeling run down or ill. Has been like that since i got glandular fever at 13 :( Know what you mean about being a pin cushion, i've prob had about 40 lots of blood taken this pregancy :(

it may also just be your veins, every time I've ever had blood taken (and its been 100's) the nurse has always commented on how they're hard to find. Make sure you're well hydrated before you go in, thins the blood and makes it easier to come out, and less chance of it clotting once its in the vial.
And I sympathise with the pin cushion, I'm having to self inject blood thiners every day, twice a day, so the tops of my thighs are covered in little bruises and needle pricks!

My MW says I have shy veins.....she'll get the vein, position the needle and whoosh, it's vanished!

Most of the time the phlebotomist (?)....blood nurse lol....will be ok with them, but they have to be quite firm and I bruise. At the hospital for the 15 week set of bloods and it took 2 nurses the best part of half an hour to take it, they tried both arms and in the end went through my hand!

My veins are also very shy although the first time the MW took my bloods and I had said they were awkward she had no problems!

I always get nervous, not because blood or needles makes me feel uneasy but because I know there will be a faff before they get the blood! I had a bad experience when I was having an asthma attack at A&E and they just kept on trying an trying and my arms were so sore.

The second time the MW was not so lucky but at least she only tried once in each arm and then booked me in at the GP's so they could do it instead. They struggled a little bit even there as after she found a vein it took a while for the blood to fill up the vial. At least she got enought and I didn't have to go back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->