I feel like a terrible mum sometimes

kmbabycrazy

Reaction score
I feel like I am too impatient with my son. He is a good mannered boy usually but lately has started acting up, answering back, stomping about, throwing tantrums at the most minor thing like his drink spilling a little or the corner of his biscuit breaking off and I find myself getting really wound up by it. I find I lose my patience a lot when he is doing his school work and he has done it right before a million times then all of a sudden isn't understanding.

For instance he gets set "tricky words" to learn to read from school. He's been able to read and spell the word dad for quite some time. This week it is in his tricky words and just them going through it he got it wrong. I tried to explain it in every way that's worked before without actually telling him what the word was and he just wasn't getting it. I got really frustrated. I try really hard not to show him but it still makes me feel absolutely awful!!!:cry:

I feel so terrible for getting frustrated at him. He's only 4 and he's miles ahead of loads of kids his age. Was wondering if any of you had any tips to help me be more patient x

I could have written the 2nd paragraph myself. My son is pretty bright (or at least that's what people say) but he is really reluctant to learn 'tricky words' and will deliberately get things wrong. I have no idea why but I do think that making a big deal of it will make him less likely to progress.

With the tricky words, I wrote them out twice on rectangles of card and we played matching games and pairs. It seemed to help a bit.

I would honestly stop pushing and acting like it makes you upset. Settling into school and a new class takes a while.

I could have written the 2nd paragraph myself. My son is pretty bright (or at least that's what people say) but he is really reluctant to learn 'tricky words' and will deliberately get things wrong. I have no idea why but I do think that making a big deal of it will make him less likely to progress.

With the tricky words, I wrote them out twice on rectangles of card and we played matching games and pairs. It seemed to help a bit.

I would honestly stop pushing and acting like it makes you upset. Settling into school and a new class takes a while.

I don't act upset with him and when I start to get frustrated we put it away. I in no way show him that I am frustrated and I do not push it. I just am upset with myself for feeling that way at all. I don't make a big deal of it.

He has settled in brilliantly. He's never had trouble doing that and his teacher commented at his parents evening that he settled in really well and that he just gets on with it at school.

I will try the matching game as he has always enjoyed pairs games. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->