I. Give. Up.

Just on the weight issue, it sounds like she has put on nearly 50% of her birth weight in nearly 2.5 months. That seems really, really good to me. She is most likely just growing in correct proportion to her size.

Yep, I was going to say the same. My LO was 6 pounds 6 at birth and was the same. Shes smaller than her friends but shes super healthy. As long as they follow their own growth curve, pee and poo, meet their dev milestones, seem ok in themselves, they're ok.

And green poo? We had lots of that too. It's a bit of a red herring I think. No health professional I spoke to was remotely bothered by it.

Are you sure your LO isn't getting enough out of you? The thing about bf is so much of the milk is invisible - you never see it because it goes straight from you into your baby. You can't pump as much as a baby can get out. So much of bf is about learning to trust that everything is ok.

I don't think it's good to put yourself under so much pressure to bf. it should be a nice thing once it's established. I hope you can make it work for you.

The green poo makes me think you have high lipase or just overactive letdown. Fear not there are many things you can do to remedy this! But thats what i would lean towards...i would def see a lactation consultant. It could also be dairy related, but many times with over production, green poops are very common.

My let-down is very strong... the past few days I started block feeding to see if it would help, but it seems my supply has diminished a bit from the block feeding.

So it seems I will have to pump the other side while I do it. :wacko:

EITHER WAY, I am going to make an appointment with a consultant. I will call tomorrow.

Block feeding will reduce your supply-that's why it helps to balance a fore milk/hind milk imbalance. If you're currently making too much milk for your LO, your breasts won't be drainined efficiently and she'll miss out on the fattier milk that's released when your boobs are emptiest. The 'emptier' your breasts feel, the higher the fat content. Full, engorged breasts aren't 'normal' breastfeeding breasts-your supply should stabilise to what LO requires.

Expressing at the same time as block feeding will make the block feeding a pointless exercise. You can relieve any pressure to help prevent mastitis, but don't drain your other breast.

This thread is reminding me of all the helpful advice I got here in a similar thread 6 months ago. People in bf forum are so lovely.

You can do it!

The green poo makes me think you have high lipase or just overactive letdown. Fear not there are many things you can do to remedy this! But thats what i would lean towards...i would def see a lactation consultant. It could also be dairy related, but many times with over production, green poops are very common.

My let-down is very strong... the past few days I started block feeding to see if it would help, but it seems my supply has diminished a bit from the block feeding.

EITHER WAY, I am going to make an appointment with a consultant. I will call tomorrow.

I thought the point of block feeding is make supply go down so that the let down is slower making it easier for baby to feed. Why do you want to keep supply the same?

I thought the point of block feeding is make supply go down so that the let down is slower making it easier for baby to feed. Why do you want to keep supply the same?

I was pumping to relieve pressure from the other side, for comfort sake (I wasn't pumping it empty).... but ever since the supply went down, she's been screaming and getting very fussy once side 1 is "empty" which she's never done before, so I am wondering if she is not getting enough now?

The big problem is, obviously, that I don't think she ever actually empties a side. But I don't know how to help her? Her latch is bad, and I have run out of ways to help!

So I am at a loss. Now I'm needing to give her both sides (thus the block feeding doesn't work) or she gets super fussy.

I called the lactation consultant yesterday and left a message, so hopefully I will hear back today to get an appointment.

I was pumping to relieve pressure from the other side, for comfort sake (I wasn't pumping it empty).... but ever since the supply went down, she's been screaming and getting very fussy once side 1 is "empty" which she's never done before, so I am wondering if she is not getting enough now?

The big problem is, obviously, that I don't think she ever actually empties a side. But I don't know how to help her? Her latch is bad, and I have run out of ways to help!

So I am at a loss. Now I'm needing to give her both sides (thus the block feeding doesn't work) or she gets super fussy.

I called the lactation consultant yesterday and left a message, so hopefully I will hear back today to get an appointment.

It's possible that you're just overthinking things. It could be that your starting block feeding coincided with a growth spurt, so she's fussier anyway and it's nothing to do with changing the feeding pattern. It could also be wind. It has a horrible habit of making them look like they're starving hungry, when in fact they just meed to burp. All they can feel is stomach discomfort, and the only way they know how to soothe their stomach is to feed. But you won't have a very successful feed if LO has wind.

My advice is really to simplify things. Spend a few days with LO snuggled up to you, feed on demand. I'd probably go for a pattern of
side 1, then when comes off wind and return to side 1. If comes off again, wind and try one more time with side 1. If LO unlatches from side 1 quickly after having fed from it for a while, then wind again and try side 2. Repeat all steps with side 2. Start next feed from side 2.

As for the weight gain - some babies are just small. My friend switched to formula because her LO was only just scraping along the 0.2nd percentile (she was given bad advice - no need to worry as long as LO is gaining weight, even if they are lower down the chart) but then even on formula she gained weight at the same rate, following the 0.2nd percentile. How is your LO on the percentiles? Go from the lowest weight she reached, not birth weight. Is she within 2 percentiles of her starting percentile? If not, then I'd want a referral to a paediatrician, not a tin of formula.

It's possible that you're just overthinking things. It could be that your starting block feeding coincided with a growth spurt, so she's fussier anyway and it's nothing to do with changing the feeding pattern. It could also be wind. It has a horrible habit of making them look like they're starving hungry, when in fact they just meed to burp. All they can feel is stomach discomfort, and the only way they know how to soothe their stomach is to feed. But you won't have a very successful feed if LO has wind.

My advice is really to simplify things. Spend a few days with LO snuggled up to you, feed on demand. I'd probably go for a pattern of
side 1, then when comes off wind and return to side 1. If comes off again, wind and try one more time with side 1. If LO unlatches from side 1 quickly after having fed from it for a while, then wind again and try side 2. Repeat all steps with side 2. Start next feed from side 2.

As for the weight gain - some babies are just small. My friend switched to formula because her LO was only just scraping along the 0.2nd percentile (she was given bad advice - no need to worry as long as LO is gaining weight, even if they are lower down the chart) but then even on formula she gained weight at the same rate, following the 0.2nd percentile. How is your LO on the percentiles? Go from the lowest weight she reached, not birth weight. Is she within 2 percentiles of her starting percentile? If not, then I'd want a referral to a paediatrician, not a tin of formula.

A growth spurt is very possible as she's also been sleeping more the past few days. I AM going to stick with this, and yes I believe I am definitely over-complicating things. I am good at that. :haha:

Her lowest weight was 5lbs, 14 oz, with a length of 19 inches. So she was 0.5 percentile-ish for weight, and about 15 for height.

Now at 10 weeks she's about 23 inches in length, and 9lbs in weight. So her height is now about 68th percentile, and weight is 2.3. She has grown insanely height-wise since birth!

So she is not going down in percentiles, she is going up... I guess it's just concerning when all the babies her age weigh 11+ lbs by her age. Even ones close to her weight at birth weigh so much more than her now! She literally looks like a fake little doll!

sounds like she IS growing well, but she is a small baby - thats perfectly OK!

I agree the green poop sounds like a fore/hind milk imbalance and what the PP said about doing side one until EMPTY, then move to side 2. And start the next feed from side 2, and then go on to side one. The next feed you start on side one.

Im not sure about the latch. But i am sure a lactation consultant can give some insight. My dd had a "messy" latch (i'll call it that) it was never quite right - she seems to slurp - but she did ok and we bf'd for 17 months. I hope that if its a lip tie they can figure it out quickly. Sounds like something must be going on if she is even doing it on bottles!

It really sounds like all is fine then fundamentally. She's growing and weeing and pooing. She's just behaving like a normal newborn :)

BFing really isn't complicated, but it takes faith in your body and your baby to work together. Try not to over think things-usually the answer to the problem is to feed them again, but that doesn't mean they're starving hungry. If they won't feed, then give them a good pat on the back to shift any wind and pop them in the sling and go for a short walk and try again in an hour or so.

It is hard to get established, but so worth the effort :) hang in there. The first couple of months are by far the hardest :flower:

The night this photo was taken, someone told me how good I looked for having a one-week old baby. She was two months, 1 week here. :wacko:

meeting2 web.jpg

I know I'm probably worrying needlessly about weight considering she's happy and meeting the milestones.

The lactation consultant just called- she said basically everything you wonderful ladies said- signs of too much foremilk. She gave me similar advice, with the addition of pumping a little bit out before a feeding so she can get to some more of the hindmilk before filling up on the foremilk, as well as trying to get her tongue in the proper position by practicing with her using my finger, nail side down.

While you are waiting to hear back you can always contact your local La Leche League. The leaders usually make house calls and can give you some advice. And La Leche is free.

sounds like she IS growing well, but she is a small baby - thats perfectly OK!

I agree the green poop sounds like a fore/hind milk imbalance and what the PP said about doing side one until EMPTY, then move to side 2. And start the next feed from side 2, and then go on to side one. The next feed you start on side one.

Im not sure about the latch. But i am sure a lactation consultant can give some insight. My dd had a "messy" latch (i'll call it that) it was never quite right - she seems to slurp - but she did ok and we bf'd for 17 months. I hope that if its a lip tie they can figure it out quickly. Sounds like something must be going on if she is even doing it on bottles!

I keep checking, and the doctors also checked, but I think she just got into the habit of sucking them in! I can pull them out, she just prefers to pull them right back in... sassy girl.

She also LOVES to suck on her bottom lip.

While you are waiting to hear back you can always contact your local La Leche League. The leaders usually make house calls and can give you some advice. And La Leche is free.

I've never heard of that! I am going to look into it right now, thank you!

The night this photo was taken, someone told me how good I looked for having a one-week old baby. She was two months, 1 week here. :wacko:

View attachment 601599

I know I'm probably worrying needlessly about weight considering she's happy and meeting the milestones.

The lactation consultant just called- she said basically everything you wonderful ladies said- signs of too much foremilk. She gave me similar advice, with the addition of pumping a little bit out before a feeding so she can get to some more of the hindmilk before filling up on the foremilk, as well as trying to get her tongue in the proper position by practicing with her using my finger, nail side down.

Anyone who thinks she's one week old has clearly known some super powered newborns. Look how upright her head and neck are, and how strong her arms are!

She looks small, but some babies have to be smaller than average and some have to be larger - otherwise it wouldn't be an average! :winkwink:

Just hope you're feeling a bit more confident in yourself now. Glad you've got some good support to call on :)

^^ WSS.

I was like yeah - sure she is tiny, but she does not look like a 1 week old!!

View attachment 601599

Anyone who thinks she's one week old has clearly known some super powered newborns. Look how upright her head and neck are, and how strong her arms are!

She looks small, but some babies have to be smaller than average and some have to be larger - otherwise it wouldn't be an average! :winkwink:

Just hope you're feeling a bit more confident in yourself now. Glad you've got some good support to call on :)

^^ WSS.

I was like yeah - sure she is tiny, but she does not look like a 1 week old!!

I thought the same thing! I was thinking her newborns must have been quite the super-babies :haha:

I am feeling much better. As you all said, the lactation consultant said her weight gain was appropriate considering her birth size. She did say that we would try to work on it to get her to gain a bit more, but that she's just fine for now.

Thank you SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I can't say enough how wonderful it's been having this!!

:thumbup:

Awesome that the consultant got back to you! Like I said We found for us that pumping an ounce or so before she eats really helps her get to the hind milk and keeps her happy. Hoping you find whatever is going to work for you and LO.

P.S. I don't think she looks like a newborn in the picture, she's just a small girl. I don't know if this is me but i've noticed that bf babies gain weight very differently than ff and the weight charts arn't different between these babies.

Awesome that the consultant got back to you! Like I said We found for us that pumping an ounce or so before she eats really helps her get to the hind milk and keeps her happy. Hoping you find whatever is going to work for you and LO.

P.S. I don't think she looks like a newborn in the picture, she's just a small girl. I don't know if this is me but i've noticed that bf babies gain weight very differently than ff and the weight charts arn't different between these babies.

YES!!

my DD was 8lbs6oz at birth... hadn't hit 20lbs at 12m check up. She continually dropped down the charts at Dr's office (im pretty sure you said your DD actually went up a bit!). BUT when i'd come home and plot the #'s on the World health org chart for breastfed baby girls 0-12 months - she grew well along that chart. So i inquired and my Dr uses a chart from the CDC and ON THEIR website it says not to be used for breastfed children under the age of 2 :dohh:

My baby does that with her lower lip too, but it doesnt seem to be an issue for her. Now I can sort of flip her lower lip out with the nipple of the bottle. I pump and feed only, she never could latch, and now any time I try, she is immediately frustrated. I'm not sure how switching to formula is going to change anything. My girl is 3 weeks old.

I am glad to read you've visited a LC, I just wanted to talk about green poop. Green poop often isn't actually caused from anything in particular, it can actually be the resulte of lack of air in a diaper. If I was feeding ds when he was nb, and he pooped while he was feeding, I wouldn't change him until he was done eating. Once he was done eating, I'd change his bum, and low and behold his poop would look horribly green. I didn't know why it was so green until we switched to cloth. I remember changing ds out of a poopy diaper, normal mustardy poop, and putting the diaper in the wet bag. I did the laundry that night and as the diapers went into the wash, the previously yellow poop would be that exact shade of green I had previously encountered. There's a lot of theories about hind milk imbalances, over-active let down, dairy etc, all causing strange hues of poop. None of these really have any scientific basis, they all seem to be more like popular heresay, even my midwives who work with LLL agree that breastmilk is more of a mixture then separate components. Just thought I'd write this out because I think that we over-complicate things and doubt ourselves a lot for things that may not actually be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->