i have a question

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
hi im just wondering when the hospital should do a scan to measure the fluid in the babys neck(to check if baby has downs syndrome)
i had my scan at 11 weeks but the women didnt say anything about measuring baby neck.

did she not say anything as its not a high risk or did she not do the measurments.

help x x

I thought that was all done before the 12 week mark, but could be wrong (I turned down the testing myself so I'm not 100% positive)

vickie, thats what i thought but i forgot all about it when i had my scan i was too worried that there wasnt a baby and when there was it just went out of my mind.

i have got my triple test (blood)at 16 weeks and thats to check for downs syndrome so does that mean they dont need to check fluid on babys neck as in having blood tests.

oh how confusing x x

I'm honestly not sure on all the details, as when the doctors were explaining it all to me I just kept telling them no I'm not having it done. Hopefully one of the other girls will see this and help you out :hugs:

I think it depends on the blood test results, if the baby is at high risk then they may check the fluid?

ok thank you.
i was worried that i had missed it but i guess they should pick something up from blood tests if there is a high risk.

thanks x x

I was quite annoyed that I didn't have that checked as I had a dating scan at 9 weeks so I wasn't offered another.

Anyone know if they routinly check this at your 20 week scan too or does it not help by then?

hi im just wondering when the hospital should do a scan to measure the fluid in the babys neck(to check if baby has downs syndrome)
i had my scan at 11 weeks but the women didnt say anything about measuring baby neck.

did she not say anything as its not a high risk or did she not do the measurments.

help x x

The Nuchal scan is performed from 11 weeks to 14 weeks! x

I was quite annoyed that I didn't have that checked as I had a dating scan at 9 weeks so I wasn't offered another.

Anyone know if they routinly check this at your 20 week scan too or does it not help by then?

They can't measure the fold passed 14 weeks!

Before 11 weeks the scan is technically difficult because the baby is so tiny and, after 14 weeks, excess fluid may be absorbed by the baby's developing lymphatic system. x

Tam's right- I had this done along with my triple screen- and it has to be done before 14 weeks! They do a sonogram to measure the fluid and send in the pics with your bloodwork if they're going to do it at all! Sorry hun!

so did they measure my babys fluid or not?
will the results go to midwife?

when i had my scan she did say 'all results will go to your midwife'

so what she mean results will go to midwife?
what results?

x x

Um did they do a sonogram with the bloodwork for it? If they did then they probably measured too. It takes a week or more for all that bloodwork and the scan to get processed, then they send the results to your doctor/midwife, cuz typically it's a private/different company or office that does that particular bloodwork. So at your next appointment they'll tell you how it all came out (or you might be able to get results over the phone).

i had blood taken at my first midwife appointment at 10 weeks.
had my dating scan at 11 weeks.
im seeing midwife at 16 weeks for my second appointment and im having my blood taken for my triple test aswell.

so will they compare the dating scan pic and my blood results they are taking at 16 weeks

I thought they checked the fluid behind the babys head at 12 week scan too for downs syndrome but when i went to MWs a few weeks ago i asked her this (when we was discussing whether i should have the triple test done) and she said they can't check it at the 12 week scan but its something that will be being brought in, in the near future. I was quite shocked thought it would have been checked. I had my bloods taken which tests for downs etc and i was 16 weeks nearly at the time.

Yeah, the scan you had to date your pregnancy- they don't do the fluid measuring then. They schedule a separate scan for the triple screen. I don't understand why they didn't have you do a scan with the screen! I thought it was necessary, combined WITH the bloodwork- but maybe I'm wrong? It's too late for you to have it measured now, but for the sake of it I'd ask your midwife at your next appointment why they didn't do it! Or you could even call NOW to ask! I hope that helped!:hugs:

not sure if it depends on where you live but my friend has just been through all this. She was advised to get the triple test as she is 40, from that they work out the chances of the baby being downs (i.e 1 in 250) If the chance is high you are offered the amnio test.
My friend however took the other option of paying for a private scan (which specifically checks the fluid on the neck) and had some more bloods taken. This has come back saying everything is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->