I have a question...

overthemoon

Reaction score
My friend said she had to abort the baby today because it was "too close" to her fallopian tube. At first she said it was IN the tube, now she is saying that it wasn't in, that it was just too close... She was 8 weeks.

So my question is, what is it called when it's too close to the fallopian tube but not in it?
And also what kind of procedure would remove that? Would it be like a regular abortion, or laparascopy?
She sent me a picture of the sonogram, but she also said they couldn't find the baby in the ultrasound, so now I just don't know what she is even talking about.

Thanks in advance ladies.

I tried googling it but all the information points to the problem occurring IN the tubes rather than too close.. not sure about this one but heres the definition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectopic_pregnancy

Not helped much but didnt want to read and run x

i have no idea even i am confused over this thread xxx
i think your mate might be pulling your leg hun. the story contradicts itself in too many ways xxx
hopefully she is confused and not making up such lies as pregnancy/abortion is not something to lie about or to take so lightly. xx

Hi this actually happened to me so she could be telling the truth! An ectopic pregnancy is when a baby is developing anywhere outside of the uterus, however most ectopic pregnancies happen in the tube. So she may have been getting a little confused as to where it was, they can be in your ovary even.

My ectopic couldn't be seen on a scan both on my tummy and inserted (sorry tmi) as even at 8 weeks and especially outside of the uterus they might not b able to be seen. I was told by the surgeon I was at least 8 weeks pregnant and nothing but blood could be seen on my scan.

My tube ruptured and I had to have it removed by a laperscopy which is keyhole surgery done under general anestetic so if she had it done today she would still be in hospital!

Hope this helps xx

Thanks everyone. Well she said that it couldn't be seen with the ultrasound on her tummy, but it was seen with the one inserted.
I told her that ectopic pregnancies are removed with laparascopy and she said that they did it with the suction that they use to do abortions which is one of the reasons I think she is lying. She is also under age and they wouldn't do surgery on her without a parent there. (her mother didn't know she was pregnant)
On top of that, she said she didn't have insurance and would go to a free clinic. I told her they don't do surgery in free clinics and she said she went to a hospital because she applied for medicaid on Monday... Once again, she could not do this because she is under age and even if for some reason she qualified it would not take two days for her to get it.

I am pretty upset but I don't want to call her out on it without solid evidence? The thing is everything I point out, she has an answer for it. The part that has me feeling the most funny is that When she told me she was pregnant, I thought she might be lying for some odd reason. But I've known her for years, and told myself that if she ended up telling me she had a miscarriage, then I would know she was lying. And low and behold, she had an ectopic pregnancy.... supposedly.

I am saddened, hurt and angry if this is the case. Since I am WTT I was a bit jealous when she said she was pregnant, and guilty for feeling jealous. Then I was really excited for her. And now I am just confused.

I'm sorry hunny it does sound as if she's lying now as I've never heard of them correcting an ectopic with suction.

You seem to have good instincts so trust them! I think you have sufficient evidence to confront her but is that what you really want to do? Is there any reason she could be lying?

Xx

does sound a bit suspicious hun , i had a eptopic back in 2005 and they couldnt see baby on the ultrasound , luckily i was very early so my body re absorbed all the cells etc never heard of a baby being '' too close to the tube '' before ?

I can't believe someone would lie about such a thing. Not sure if I want to confront her, or just cut her out completely.

no i dont understand why anyone would want to lie about something like that either

Is it possible that if the placenta ends up right next to the FT opening it could end up invading into it and causing bleeding/rupture of tube? The placenta does implant quite deeply into the endometrium and obviously the FTs are very thin in comparison. Obviously I don't know this person at all, but there might be a logical explanation for what she's saying?

I don't want to sound rude, but I would find out the truth before accusing her of lying. Every pregnancy is different, and I'm sure not all abortions are clear cut either. If she is telling the truth - she might need you to be her friend right now. If she is lying, she needs help, but I would definately get to the bottom of it before casting her aside. There might be a reason she feels she need to fib about it? I'm not defending her so please don't think I'm picking an argument, but if she is telling the truth or if she is lying, it sounds to me as though she needs her friends, because something is definately going on!

Yeah that is pretty much why I am a bit afraid to say anything, but at the same time she is known for lying quite a bit, she even told me when she was younger she used to make things up a lot (Not that much younger, I'm talking like 14 years old, old enough to know better)
So maybe you can see why I'm finding it difficult to know what to believe?

I did find out a few things did add up but I still can't find anything online about an ectopic pregnancy being handled the way a suction abortion is handled.
When I told her this, she started to say that she is suspicious of her doctor and suspects that he hates pregnant teens, and killed her baby. (She is 17) So now she is saying that she wants to sue for malpractice but doesn't remember her doctor's name.
The problem is, if the doctor actually did do this, then the nurse, and U/S tech would have to be in on it to, wouldn't they?

to Mrs Eleflump and I want it all, I am just wondering if it in fact is possible to remove an ectopic the way they do the suction abortions? That is the one she had done.

I truly hope she isn't lying because she is the closest friend I have and I wouldn't want to lose her...

She does sound like a troubled girl, one way or another...:(

Firstly, what she said about the doctor having 'killed' her baby, I personally wouldn't be inclined to believe that point of view. If a doctor feels they cannot deal with a patient's case for moral or ethical reasons (for example having a problem with teenage pregnancies, or disagreeing with abortion, etc), they are obliged to refer that patient on to a different doctor for the appropriate care. And yes, the ultrasonographer and any other medical staff involved would have had to be 'in on it', which makes it even more unlikely. As far as I am aware a doctor cannot make the decision to perform a termination alone, this is a big decision, and things like this are normally discussed with the whole medical team.

I'm not sure about the actual method - a true ectopic would normally be treated with either methotrexate or surgery, as you're all aware, but this doesn't sound like it was an actual ectopic to me. If everything was in the uterus proper and was threatening the fallopian tube in some way, I imagine it could be removed with suction, but I am obviously no expert in obstetrics/gynae. I do have a bit of background as I work in a hospital tissue pathology lab, but I'm not medically qualified. I can ask one of our gynae pathologists if you like...?

It would be really helpful if you would ask for me, thank you. I definitely don't want to confront her if it is just be being paranoid.
And if she is lying I really wouldn't know what to do at all.
Since I am not 100% sure, I just listened and was there for her the first two days, though she seems to have forgotten all about it already.

Hi overthemoon, I managed to track down a pathologist today (they're never around when you want them and always are when you don't!!), and asked him about this. He says it is very rare, but there is such a thing as an egg implanting 'too close to the tube'. If it implants in the isthmus, that is, the part of the uterus that connects with the fallopian tube, the muscle there isn't thick enough to allow expansion of the growing embryo and can lead to rupturing. So, though it is in the uterus, and therefore not an ectopic, the pregnancy would need to be terminated for the mother's safety. As it is in the uterus, it would be accessible for the 'suction' method of removal rather than needing laparotomy.

So it sounds like your friend may well be telling the truth...I hope this helps you, and that your friendship does not suffer in any way. It does seem strange that she appears to have 'forgotten' about it...maybe she is the sort of person who internalises her grief? People deal with things in many different ways, and what seems strange to one may be totally normal for another.

xxx

Thank you so much you're a really big help. She doesn't really internalize grief, but maybe with a situation like this she is dealing in a whole new way.

I feel pretty guilty for thinking she was lying, but then she did used to lie a lot for attention, and I am also a bit of a paranoid person.

Thank you again I really appreciate it

You're very welcome :) You really shouldn't feel guilty, though, you know - if you've been affected by her making things up in the past, it's only natural to doubt what she's saying, especially if parts of it sounded a bit odd...I can't comment on the insurance/free clinic stuff as I'm in the UK and I have no idea how it all works on your side of the pond, but as I said above, what she's described as having happened medically is very uncommon so you don't hear of it all that often, hence it sounding weird.

Well I found out that here you if you're underage but are pregnant you can handle all your medical issues on your own, so that was uneducated on my part, though she didn't know about this either, and neither did my mother so it must be new here.

One of her old schoolmates just had a baby and she keeps staring at pictures of him, I am worried she's going to make herself sick.

Yes in all US states you are medically emancipated if pregnant. It's not really new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->