I have made a decision...

Webbykinskt

Reaction score
I'm coming off the pill!

I'm sick of thinking I'm pregnant every month because my cycle is different each time. In my opinion... If his little spermies can get through a condom... then it's meant to be... heh.
It may sound irresponsible but I don't like the idea of artificial hormones controlling my body.

Out of curiosity... has anyone on here come of the pill, used condoms and got pregnant? I know they're not 100% obviously but just wondering what the chances are.

Great if you are happy with the decision, I personally don't like the pill so I do understand you. However, I have used condoms for years, and was told it was a very effective contraception. Another thing would be if you don't put it on right, or some people talk about them ripping, but it has never happened to me. Good luck!!!

I understand what you mean bab!
Can't stand hormones in my body either = ]

Do you get on with condoms ok?
Just asking because we're not having a good time with them
&& have actually been using the pull out method during the times I'm not fertile

xx

It's not at all irresponsible if you're planning to use alternative contraception. the pill is about 99% effective, condoms about 97% so same difference really if you use them properly.
If the only reason to stop is an irregular cycle, though, see your GP - it should be pretty regular on the pill (I know when to expect AF pretty much to the hour) so you may just need to change your pill

Great if you are happy with the decision, I personally don't like the pill so I do understand you. However, I have used condoms for years, and was told it was a very effective contraception. Another thing would be if you don't put it on right, or some people talk about them ripping, but it has never happened to me. Good luck!!!

Yeah I heard about those. My only concern is if it does split he may try and pressure me into taking the morning after pill.. I don't think he's that harsh. Will have to speak to him.

I understand what you mean bab!
Can't stand hormones in my body either = ]

Do you get on with condoms ok?
Just asking because we're not having a good time with them
&& have actually been using the pull out method during the times I'm not fertile

xx

Yeah we use them as well as the pill so we're okay with them.

shambaby said:
It's not at all irresponsible if you're planning to use alternative contraception. the pill is about 99% effective, condoms about 97% so same difference really if you use them properly.
If the only reason to stop is an irregular cycle, though, see your GP - it should be pretty regular on the pill (I know when to expect AF pretty much to the hour) so you may just need to change your pill

It's not just that really. I just think it's not fair on me when i'm so broody and i'm on the pill just for my OH. I can't shift any weight either which is bringing me down.

Make sure you use them properly and maybe chart at the same time (trust me, you'll know when you ovulate). I use condoms! The other day we had a slippage, which was the FIRST time in 4 1/2 years so don't stress. Make sure you're not too dry to avoid friction and splitting. And when he withdraws make sure he holds the condom at the base to avoid slippage. I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, but I want it anyway!

I came off the pill 3 years ago, NEVER again!

Make sure you use them properly and maybe chart at the same time (trust me, you'll know when you ovulate). I use condoms! The other day we had a slippage, which was the FIRST time in 4 1/2 years so don't stress. Make sure you're not too dry to avoid friction and splitting. And when he withdraws make sure he holds the condom at the base to avoid slippage. I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, but I want it anyway!

I came off the pill 3 years ago, NEVER again!

Good advice... even though I want an 'accident' lol

Hey hun, I came off the pill a few months ago, and we used condoms for a while, we are not NTNP so we arent using anything, but we only ever had 1 split and that was when we first got together in 2007, and that was with using extra safe condoms.
OH used to go check for any holes by filling it up with water after we had :sex: lol, it took all the fun out of doing it! so the pill is the easier option, but I had trouble with it affecting my cycle too, so know how u feel!
only you and your OH know whats best for you both :)
Good luck with whatever u decide xx

Hey! Just to clarify: The perfect use failure rate of condoms is 2%, so if 100 women use condoms in exactly the right way, 2 of them fall pregnant per year.
The typical use failure rate is 15%, that means out of 100 actual women (who don't always use them perfectly, e.g. might put them on wrong) 15 fall pregnant every year.
But I think there's one even better reason why you shouldn't be coming off the pill just yet. It's this one:

I think that (whether subconsciously or knowlingy) you might be coming off the pill hoping that an accident may happen. Which of course will make it more likely that you make a mistake with the condoms or even "forget" them every now and again.
But you and your OH have made a decision that you're not ready for a LO just yet, you can't afford it financially and still have goals you want to reach first, like your degrees. Those are good reasons, so you shouldn't trick yourself (and especially not your OH) into getting around them. Plus you don't know for sure how an "unwanted" pregnancy would affect your relationship. What if your OH can't deal with it, doesn't feel ready? What if you get upset that he's not as happy as you are? Or he gets suspicious because you aren't as freaked out as he is? A pregnancy and the resulting :baby: put a lot of stress on a relationship even if both partners made a conscious decision that they want a LO.
I know it's hard when you really want a baby and know you're not ready yet (for whatever reason really) but you should really trust your head on this. You're still very young and have loads of time to start a family. But there's some things that you can only do now (uni, travel, a career to name but a few).
The time will come, I promise! :hugs:

Hey! Just to clarify: The perfect use failure rate of condoms is 2%, so if 100 women use condoms in exactly the right way, 2 of them fall pregnant per year.
The typical use failure rate is 15%, that means out of 100 actual women (who don't always use them perfectly, e.g. might put them on wrong) 15 fall pregnant every year.
But I think there's one even better reason why you shouldn't be coming off the pill just yet. It's this one:

I think that (whether subconsciously or knowlingy) you might be coming off the pill hoping that an accident may happen. Which of course will make it more likely that you make a mistake with the condoms or even "forget" them every now and again.
But you and your OH have made a decision that you're not ready for a LO just yet, you can't afford it financially and still have goals you want to reach first, like your degrees. Those are good reasons, so you shouldn't trick yourself (and especially not your OH) into getting around them. Plus you don't know for sure how an "unwanted" pregnancy would affect your relationship. What if your OH can't deal with it, doesn't feel ready? What if you get upset that he's not as happy as you are? Or he gets suspicious because you aren't as freaked out as he is? A pregnancy and the resulting :baby: put a lot of stress on a relationship even if both partners made a conscious decision that they want a LO.
I know it's hard when you really want a baby and know you're not ready yet (for whatever reason really) but you should really trust your head on this. You're still very young and have loads of time to start a family. But there's some things that you can only do now (uni, travel, a career to name but a few).
The time will come, I promise! :hugs:

Thank you for the advice. I only say those things in moments of weakness tbh. I would never trick him into getting me pregnant. I've spoken to him about it and he's 100% behind me (he's in charge of condoms anyway).

I guess after re-reading everyone's replies... I might stay on it and just put up with the weight and bloody irregular cycles. I suppose it's only a small inconvenience for my OH.

Do what YOU want to do. Condoms are reliable IF used properly.

Do what YOU want to do. Condoms are reliable IF used properly.

I know I should, but I think Amygdala is right... If I come off the pill i might try and trick him into not using a condom or something. I am so broody for an 18 year old it's unreal. This is what's best for him in this case.

Ok, but just so you know I'm majorly broody and I'm 22. I wouldn't do that, and if you both agree to use them ALL the time under no circumstances you should be fine.

Yes, but if you were to trick him, you could have done it the past pretending you were taking the pill and then not.There has been many a case of people that got pregnant like this (not defending this or anything, just stating a fact). So I don't think you would trick him. If you don't like the side effects of the pill, go for it, you can always go back to it. Try the condoms, if anything he is more in control than before so it shouldn't be a problem for him.

have you tried talking to your dr?? if your periods are irregular on the pill then it might not be the right one for you. I used to be able to tell you literally to the 10 minutes when my bleed would arrive, only now after many years on the same pill is it being more irregular (by that i mean i can be jusr 1 day late which is different for me) but i know i am only taking it for another 6 months so am not gonna mess with it too much :)

Why don't you have a look at the implant?
It is hormone based but if your staying on the pill then that's ok right?

The thing with the implant is that you don't have the chance to forget it or it not work if you get sick. I honestly promote it to anyone lol.

If you had it now it would be exactly the same as what i did. It would cover your first two years of uni.

I think this would be good for you because it takes away the responsibility of contraception and will maybe stop you thinking so much about getting pregnant! = ] lol

xx

Thanks for your advice ladies. I've still got two weeks to decide if i'm coming off it as i'm half-way through a pack. I don't like the sound of the implant because I hate needles as it is lol that would be weird for me. I think this pill suits me - been on it for 5 years - it's just my broodiness is delaying my period when I hope it won't come. Just been to the doctors about it and he thinks I may have anxiety about it all. Might need therapy :hissy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->