I just found out DH has no sperm

CanadianMaple

Reaction score
We did a SA and they could no detect any sperm. He sees his doctor tomorrow. I don't think he can get on board with donor sperm. He's 43 and I think this means a full stop for us. I'm devastated.

thats awful hun, I'm so sorry. maybe try all the vitamins you can get your hands on and put him on a healthy diet???

:(

Hi CanadianMaple, I don't know your full story, so please forgive me if I've misunderstood you, but I would urge you not to give up just yet:

As I understand it this is OH's 1st SA, he is producing seman but there aren't any swimmers in there? Exactly the same thing happened to us - they brought us back for a confirmation SA (standard practice when they find '0 sperm in the ejeculate'). The 2nd SA confirmed that there wasn't any sperm in the ejeculate - but here's the really important thing for you: that does not necessarily mean that he is not producing any sperm, it can simply mean that if there is sperm it isn't getting out.

The condition is called Azoospermia, and the road doesn't quite end here:

So for us that meant a range of hormone tests for DH: these are the easy ones and if it's a hormone imbalance it can normally be corrected with drugs (at least that is my understanding!! Please don't hold me to that, I'm not a doctor).

Hormones came back normal for us, so the next step was a range of genetic tests, these are slightly more scary as at this point the answer can come back that there is no production, but you can also find, like us that there is sperm production but that for some reason the swimmers aren't getting out - this can be for a variety of reasons. These one's are more complicated and take a while to come back, but even here, some people don't get any answers

For them, and for many who need the genetic tests, they also need to move to the next stage for final confirmation - and that is a testicular biopsy (Tese) to check for absolute certain.

Azoospermia affects about 1 - 2% of the population, but accounts for about 20% of those seeking assisted conception. Only in about 30% of cases does Azoospermia mean the TTC journey is over, and even then donor sperm may be an option depending on the couple. There is a thread on this forum called 'Dealing with Azoospermia' which I'd encourage you to take a look at.

This is really crappy news, and right now I know you are feeling about rock bottom - I've been there. It won't get better quickly, so don't feel bad about feeling bad, you're going to need time to deal with this. I can't tell you how this is going to go for you, you're going to have lots of tests and some more waiting, but I do want to tell you this, we had our first SA result earlier this year and I am currently undergoing my first IVF cycle (with DH's swimmers)... so please don't give up just yet!

Lots and lots of :hugs: please know that you're not alone; the women on the Dealing with Azoospermia thread are pretty amazing and I know they'll have answers to just about any question you can think of.

Good luck

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope that we get some answers soon.

I really hope it's not the end of the road for you xxx

So sorry to read this :( :hugs:

Re the azoospermia, I have a buddy on BnB whose hubby has it, and they got preggers on the 2nd (I think) round of IVF and now have a beautiful daughter. Her name is MissAma if you wanna search her out. Good luck to you hun :hugs:

Don't give up yet! I had a friend who's husband got a SA of 0 turns out he was born without a tube that was needed for sperm to travel through. He had sperm they just couldn't get out. They had to do IVF, but she is now pregnant with twins. GOOD LUCK!

I am one of the "azoospermia" wives... Deb111 made the best thread relating to this topic since sliced bread! Here is the link:

https://www.babyandbump.com/problems-trying-conceive/376424-dealing-azoospermia.html

You will find much usefull info as well as all our stories and support! It is a blessing to me to have found this thread and all the ladies on it!!! And there are success stories as well! Hope you find the help you need and if you have any questions, please ask! :hugs:

Saw you over on the Azoo thread - glad you found it. Hope that you get through this stage quickly and with really good news.

Let us know how your next GP app goes

I am going to call my GP on Monday and ask for a referral for the RE. I also am really hoping that we see the urologist in December. I am sure that is wishful thinking, but I'll reassess in the new year if it doesn't happen.

We are seeing the RE on Jan 25th. I'm doing better now that I have a date circled on the calendar.

We did a SA and they could no detect any sperm. He sees his doctor tomorrow. I don't think he can get on board with donor sperm. He's 43 and I think this means a full stop for us. I'm devastated.

I'm ever so sorry to hear this:hugs:, I remember the first time I was told that my husband has a very low count, which at that point was so devastating.

Two of my friends are going through the same, their husbands have no SPERM whats so ever, and have undergone numerous test. One of my friends confided in me a while back, apparently her husband has only one testical due to a defect since birth. Instead of dropping down it stayed up and because of the immense heat was damaged beyond repair and had to have it removed. He's been offered a procedure which will cost him about £1500 to extract the sperm from inside of him. I don't have much information but I guess google will bring something up..(googling)

Ok here we go, there are two procedures Microsurgical Epididymis Sperm Aspiration (MESA) and Testicular Sperm Extraction (TESE).

Please have a read and I hope you find light at the end of the tunnel, thinking of you :hugs:

MissAma was my bump buddy. She is a fab lady! :thumbup:
I hope and pray you find the way to some answers soon. :hugs:

Good luck. I hope he does have sperm floating around in there! DH was diagnosed with klinefelter's syndrome which is where our infertility really comes from. It took him 2 yrs to decide donor sperm. We are on our second cycle now with that. Just remember there are plenty of us out there and does help talking to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->