I know it isn't a real bump yet but... (anatomy knowledge appreciated!)

Mintastic

Reaction score
So I am nine weeks now and just a few days ago I had a horrible night with mild nausea (I haven't been sick) and the worst heartburn of my life and tossed and turned all night. When I work up the next day I could no longer suck my bloat-belly (that I have had since my BFP, a few days before actually) in all the way. Even my husband noticed that it looks a little different now. It has stayed this way for a few days now.

I understand that physiologically the baby is very very small and the uterus is still under the pubic bone so it isn't a "baby" bump but could it be more than just bloat and fat? Could it be caused by something else shifting upwards due to the uterus getting bigger? My gyno had made the comment in the past that I had a very large uterus (to begin with) - could that make a difference?

Oh also, I haven't gained any weight. Maybe one pound but I frequently fluctuate by a few pounds so that doesn't mean much. So I don't think the little bulge I can't suck in is just fat...

Would love to hear from anyone who has actual anatomy knowledge such as nurses! Thanks!

I'm 8 weeks 3 days and I have a similar little bump/bloat. Definitely no sucking in will work. I think it's just all the extra hormones and the uterus has now doubled in size so that's my guess haha. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, someone on a different thread mentioned that their doc said it was caused by the progesterone... but I am still not sure anatomically what that means...what is the progesterone doing exactly?

I think there is confusion about the uterus. I understand it to be 'behind' and not 'below' the pubic bone. If you think about it, your vagina and uterus would have to be very short to be below it.

This picture shows what I mean.

https://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p666/teddynorman/uterinelevels_zps6hy54096.jpg

well ive heard that if it feels hard, its your uterus you're feeling.

some women say its as hard as a rock. wont budge in like fatness. hahaha

even since 4 weeks people all over town thought i had a baby bump and im a small girl (123 lbs and 5'2)

i dont gain weight easily but if i ever do gain it i lose it before i even notice i have it. i know what people are looking at isnt the baby just yet but it sure does look like i have a perfectly small round belly. strange but cute i suppose!

Oh great diagram minties! Thanks!

Interesting Catiren, I guess it is still soft for me. Which is understandable - I wouldn't expect it to be hard yet. I am not petite (146lbs, 5'7") but I do have a small frame. People don't think I do since I have padding on it and am tallish but skeletally I do - my wrists are very tiny for example.

Progesterone makes your intestines swell slightly, hence the bloat.

Everyone is different - they say as a rule your uterus won't be at belly button level until 20 weeks. In my second pregnancy it was above my bellybutton at 16 weeks. I can feel my uterus now - I have always had proper little sticky outy bumps by 12 weeks.

I am 5ft 1 and about 8st 4/5lbs at the moment.

I'm 8 weeks with my third and by the evening I have a bump, nobody would walk past me in the street and question it but my oh definitely can. It's not like a fat or bloated tummy that you can suck in

Great diagram mintes!

Also, even though baby and uterus are still small, your internal organs are already starting to be pushed upwards.

That's what I thought NDH. Just couldn't find any confirmation anywhere - just a lot of sites saying all early bumps are just bloat.

Progesterone slows everything down in your digestive system so you can absorb more nutrients (at least that is the thinking). This causes more gas and bloat and probably means swelling in your intestines which most likely cause your tummy to protrude a little. Most likely your bump is bloat at this point. But from what I remember with my first is it eases up in the 2nd trimester. At least it did for me. Not so much bloating. Or maybe I couldn't tell anymore cause I had a real bump.

I felt really grossly bloated since about 7/8 weeks and I was convincing myself I was already showing from the baby because it was all.the.time. Ugh. I kind of just felt disgusting really.

But in the past several days I think the bloat is starting to get better and I don't feel so huge (even though I'm actually a thin person). I'm thinking like someone else said that when it feels hard then it's really the uterus and a baby bump. Until then just bloated nastiness :( now I keep poking myself to see if I can feel my uterus! I think I maybe can...who knows!

Seems like time will tell and it's different for every woman!

Great diagram mintes!

Also, even though baby and uterus are still small, your internal organs are already starting to be pushed upwards.

See that makes a lot of sense to me!

Mintastic, I have a very flat stomach and I can see it changing. Not bloat, but something. I guess it's the organs swelling or moving up? It's hard to know until You know... Ya know? Lol couldn't help that! But I guess when it's baby we'll all go "ohhhh"! Lol

Btw I'm like 7 weeks 2/3 days and 100 lbs 5'3".

Haha MrsLove!

I like the idea that it is something shifting up or intestines swelling because to me that is different from just bloat. To me bloat is water retention and I can suck it in.

I mean I am totally bloated also but there is a little something under the bloat it seems to me. Swelling intestines is kinda gross sounding but would explain it for me.

hi mint! yeah, i would bet some stuff is being pushed up/moved around. its not the actual uterus yet, but other things are shifting and the uterus is stretching in there.
i am starting to feel uncomfortable in my pants. i def can wear the, but am just noticing something changing and its not the uterus (not a baby bump yet) but just stuff changing around there. i am kinda nervous though when i will get a true bump starting, as each pregnancy it happens earlier and this is my third.
my second pregnancy we didnt tell until 15 weeks and by then it was def starting to show and hard to keep hidden. i hope i can make it 12-13 wks hiding it as we wont announce until then.

Hey Mint! I can't believe you're 9 weeks already! Anyways, people will always jump and say "baby is too small it's just bloat or water weight!", but the truth of the matter is, everyone's pregnancy is different. Every baby grows differently, every uterus grows differently, they are all angled differently. There are so many factors that could explain why a woman would start to "show" earlier than others. I think that if you're noticing a difference and your hubby is, it's probably your bump starting. I noticed my wife's at around 9 weeks too, it was very low though like yours, and she couldn't suck it in. When I used the doppler to listen for baby, I had to press pretty hard and could actually feel where her uterus was.

Hope all is well! :flower:

Thanks Jules - I hope you can make it to 12 or 13 without showing also. My boobs are so much bigger now too and I think maybe that's why one person may have guessed it already (the stepmom I mentioned in my journal). I keep reading the stat that most first time moms don't show until 20 weeks but that seems insanely far away to me if I already see a little change!

Eidson - I know! Almost 10weeks really! What seems nuts to me is that I felt like you and your wife got your BFP ages and ages before I did - but looking back now it was only 4 weeks! Crazy! Those must have been some of the longest 4 weeks of my life!

I definitely showed before 20 weeks both times, even being overweight, but managed to hide it from my MIL until 20 weeks with Sophie. She's pretty oblivious to anything that isn't all about her though :p

I'm super slim and wasn't showing until well beyond 20 weeks both times. No idea where it hid lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->