I know she still needs her milk but how

Jkelmum

Reaction score
If u disagree with my reasons for weaning my baby keep opinions to yourself please as i do NOT want this to start yet another debate:flower::thumbup:
So on hv and peadertrion (sp) advise due to the fact that lily as lost wieght low weight gain and basically not thriving on milk probably due to reflux we have weaned earlier then i planned to ...she as now been weaned approx 6wks and loves any food i have given her but is starting to refuse her milk outright or only take a little ....Here is a example of what I offer her and what she takes

7am 6oz milk offerd 4oz taken
10am 4oz babymilk baby porriage with 2oz baby milk she eats all porriage but only takes 1oz baby milk
1pm 6oz milk & puree veg or fruit takes about 2oz-3ozbabymilk
4pm baby dried food made up with 2oz milk and 4oz offered takes about 2oz-3ozbabymilk
7pm 7oz offered takes 4oz max ...

so approx 16oz baby milk aday instead of the 35oz it says she should take

her weight gain is very slow still 2~3oz in 2 wks last weigh in :cry:

So yeah she is on 3 meals a day very fast due to her not takin her milk and she needs somthing milk is always offered first ...she will eat whatever solids i give her she never seems to fill ...yet wont take milk:shrug: ...any ideas ...she is 22wks old ..cant wait for 6 months so i can give her cheese/yoghurts. and loads of stuff with milk

I dont know what to suggest as you seems to be doing all you can....Maley was never a large milk drinker....even now she only has 12oz on a good day.....it is worrying though. Maybe give her extra vitamins in the milk that she does drink to ease your mind a little.

I weaned Molly early for the same reason, and she still now only drinks 10oz a day max :dohh:. Obviously use it on cereal and in purees as you say. You could try making custard from powder with formula, that uses loads. We also do angel delight. People probably wont agree with me as that is sweet stuff but I dont give it every day! I also use it in mashed potato and scrambled egg. (I also started uses cows milk in food at about 22 weeks as she stopped eating the stuff with formula in :wacko:). People just loko at me weird when I say she doesnt like formula.

I would say you are doing everything right by offering the milk first. I have been weaning my little girl for almost 2 weeks and although she is only on one meal she is starting to a lot less milk so i will have to keep a close eye on it. I would mention it to your HV, i can't imagine you are the only person with this problem.

Hope you get some useful advice!:flower:

I gave her some mash on sunday with baby milk in it ...she as never been a big milk eater ...Just worryin with her not gaining her weight x

Serina, Alex sounds excately the same!

he wont drink his milk (i always offer that first ) he takes 18oz on a good day

but will eat anything u give him untill he pops yet refuses milk!

i just keep offering him the milk before , feed him then about half hour later offer the milk again

i make up anything i can using milk too !

Today just to see I made double the amount up so she had 4oz of babymilk in porriage and ate the lot :rofl:

i done that with alex too but only because he puked up the first lot!

when he gets sick of it he starts to blow bubbles with it!

she doesnt seem to get sick of solids though she got pretty annoyed at a rusk when she kept missin her mouth :rofl:

p.s the dvd is sat in my pile of stuff to post sooorrry i need a kick up bum loads to post

lol thats fine i was beginning to wonder if it had been lost again :rofl:

Nope ...I have sweets postal orders dvds all need posting ...i have my friends lo stayin and havin 5 kids seems crazier then 4 ...trip to a&e into mix its great :wacko:

omg im having exactly the same problem ! im gettin really worried about aidan but i spose its nothing to worry about as he is eating and drinking milk but not as mch as he should be

I don't know much about formula, but would it be an idea to look at switching formula? Is it all milks she doesn't take much of, or could it be a specific taste?

Also, what teats are you using? Does she seem to get overwhelmed by the flow of milk, or frustrated?

Have you tried offering little and often? Say offering more at 8:30am? What about a dreamfeed when you go to bed?

I don't know much about formula, but would it be an idea to look at switching formula? Is it all milks she doesn't take much of, or could it be a specific taste?

Also, what teats are you using? Does she seem to get overwhelmed by the flow of milk, or frustrated?

Have you tried offering little and often? Say offering more at 8:30am? What about a dreamfeed when you go to bed?

Shes on her 3rd different milk ....Tried variflow slow flow med flow fast flow ...she just isnt interested in sucking ..today at lunch i gave her it in a beaker and yes she throw it about but had about 5oz so that maybe the way forward ...as for dream feed she is a nightmare she wakes properly then we have a crap night because she is out of routine :dohh: Great sugestions though as u can seee ive tried allsorts :hugs:

Shes on her 3rd different milk ....Tried variflow slow flow med flow fast flow ...she just isnt interested in sucking ..today at lunch i gave her it in a beaker and yes she throw it about but had about 5oz so that maybe the way forward ...as for dream feed she is a nightmare she wakes properly then we have a crap night because she is out of routine :dohh: Great sugestions though as u can seee ive tried allsorts :hugs:

Must be frustrating to have to keep trying so many different things!

Have you tried something like a doidy cup? Hopefully a beaker or cup of some sorts will mean you can get enough milk in to her. LO is going through a 'I'm not a baby' stage and doesn't want to be led down, cradled, fed like a baby, sat in a baby chair etc. Very frustrating!

Will she dreamfeed at all? Elyse was under the recommendations for formula intake (still is really) and I found I could dreamfeed an extra 4oz sometimes!

Ruby goes through phases of refusing to drink much milk and I found that feeding her in a quiet room with no distractions like the telly made it easier....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->