I love my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

I have a 7yr old blenham bitch, she sadly has a heart problem, so commen in this breed, I am worried to death as she is at the vets tonight for her first 6 monthly check since being diagnosed so I am hoping it is still the same as it was and hasn't got any worse. She is my princess x

I have a 7yr old blenham bitch, she sadly has a heart problem, so commen in this breed, I am worried to death as she is at the vets tonight for her first 6 monthly check since being diagnosed so I am hoping it is still the same as it was and hasn't got any worse. She is my princess x

i really hope it hasnt gotten any worse!:hugs:

My cavalier is 5 and he has a heart murmur too. The vet has never picked it up previously but noticed it a few months ago when he went for his yearly injections. I always knew he had one as I can feel it when I put my hand on his heart. Ever since I can remember... maybe since birth even. All the previous vets have failed to recognise this as a problem until last time. I read online that if you can hear the defect or feel it, its quite serious so god knows why no vet picked it up b4 if I was able to. It makes me very very sad :cry: but Im just hoping that its not gonna get any worse. Let us know how you get on at the vets :hugs:

My cavalier is 5 and he has a heart murmur too. The vet has never picked it up previously but noticed it a few months ago when he went for his yearly injections. I always knew he had one as I can feel it when I put my hand on his heart. Ever since I can remember... maybe since birth even. All the previous vets have failed to recognise this as a problem until last time. I read online that if you can hear the defect or feel it, its quite serious so god knows why no vet picked it up b4 if I was able to. It makes me very very sad :cry: but Im just hoping that its not gonna get any worse. Let us know how you get on at the vets :hugs:

I can't belive it has taken so long to spot it, what meds is your cavi on?
Jazz developed hers last year :(
Well it was a different vet today and they want me to play about with her meds as she has a cough so they think it is a fluid build up on her lungs while she is sleeping, so we need to reduce her heart pills to half the amount as she was on a dose double what she should be for her size, and she is now on a diuretic(sp) once a day too, I think it might have got worse because the vet just said she does have a v bad murmer but didn't tell me the grade, she also told me to reduce her walks right down to almost nothing and to keep her calm :( my poor baby. She said she could be fine for a fair while or she could go down hill very fast :cry: So we are doing what we can, hopefully she wont need to go again for 6 months for her next check up.

I can't belive it has taken so long to spot it, what meds is your cavi on?
Jazz developed hers last year :(
Well it was a different vet today and they want me to play about with her meds as she has a cough so they think it is a fluid build up on her lungs while she is sleeping, so we need to reduce her heart pills to half the amount as she was on a dose double what she should be for her size, and she is now on a diuretic(sp) once a day too, I think it might have got worse because the vet just said she does have a v bad murmer but didn't tell me the grade, she also told me to reduce her walks right down to almost nothing and to keep her calm :( my poor baby. She said she could be fine for a fair while or she could go down hill very fast :cry: So we are doing what we can, hopefully she wont need to go again for 6 months for her next check up.

He is not on any medication. The vet that mentioned it to me said to just keep an eye on him. Maybe because he is only 5. She doesnt seem to think its serious atm but like I said above, I read up on heart murmurs in cavaliers and it stated about hearing and feeling it being a serious factor. I do know that the internet is a devil for worrying us so maybe its just that, me worrying!! Even so.. he has had it for a very long time and even though I dont believe it has got any worse, he still has it which will more than likely cause him problems in the future. Maybe when it starts effecting his everyday life he may be given some medication. He is fine.. he is active, he doesnt cough. The only thing I have noticed with him over the past few months are his back legs are weak. He finds it hard to jump up onto the high sofa sometimes but thats not related to his heart, its just another problem that is highly visible with this breed unfortunately. Its awful when they are sick. I love my boy soooo much. He is like my son. Lets hope that Jazz doesnt get any worse. Hopefully you will find a good medication for her. Its upsetting just thinking about them being poorly :cry:

Ahhh... so lovely they were! I'd love to have a pet like them.
My tagpe left us last December. So, his buddy muning is now alone and not playful as she were when tagpe is around. How I wish i could find a replacement for her buddy.

i have 3 cavaliers, 1 blenhiam bitch called poppy. she is 6. and two tris. treva is 4 and is epileptic. alfy is my baby he is a rescue and is approx 3 years old. cavaliers are the best dogs haha!!

Oh, me! I have a 6-year-old Blenheim boy called Winston (it seems like all Blenheim boys are called Winston). He's adorable and EVIL! No, really, we had a trainer come in and it was only the second time he's been called for a Cavalier in his whole career.

I love him to bits. He's totally my baby boy. I work from home, so he's my constant companion (except when he can't be bothered to hang out with me... too busy sleeping on the forbidden leather chair while I'm downstairs not paying attention).

So far he's heart healthy, but he has a bad back thanks to an ill-advised leap off a wall a few years ago. His dad was heart-clear at 10, so we're hoping Winston will have a long, happy life. (I mean, naturally, he's going to live forever, right?)

Love the pictures!

hi,

i have 2 - a blenheim male, buster, who is 4 and a tri bitch, gypsie, that is 3. they came from the same breeder but are not directly related (great grandfather is the same), i have all papers for them etc.

neither have been done and i hope to breed with them BUT my dopey male hasnt quite the right idea - he tries to mount her head!!! so unless he learns correctly i wont be getting pups.

they are both really loveable and get on great with the kids. the male gets on with my cat - he got clawed at an early age and learnt. the female has been clawed by cat loads AND still hasnt learnt and annoys it.

so similar here i have a blenheim male and a tri bitch called gypsy lol and my male cant quite get the hang of dtd :dohh:

this is charlie and gypsy

Attachments

• camera photos 158.jpg
    camera photos 158.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • camera photos 228.jpg
    camera photos 228.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
  • camera photos 266.jpg
    camera photos 266.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • camera photos 267.jpg
    camera photos 267.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh, such sweeties!

Winston has the opposite problem. He humps everything in sight, though there's not a chance anything could ever come of it!

thank you,they are both 2 now,i tried to mate them this season but bless he just cant seem to get it in lol,it just sticks out the side:dohh:

thank you,they are both 2 now,i tried to mate them this season but bless he just cant seem to get it in lol,it just sticks out the side:dohh:

haha I'm sure he'll get the hang of it one day :D
I always regret not mating my 6 yr old Cav. He has a heart murmur though so I was always reluctant. Plus I have no kennel club papers for him :cry: Someone did say they wanted to use him for their bitch but I said no :/ why why why!! Even if it was just to get a pup from the same bloodline for myself to keep, woulda been worth it!!! xxx

He looks like an old man on the last pic haha.. bless him xx

Attachments

• 09092011074.jpg
    09092011074.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 10092011080.jpg
    10092011080.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 09092011069.jpg
    09092011069.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2
So, those of you with Cavs and children... How are they at coping with babies?

My youngest was a toddler when i got mine,but they are great with him,even when he plays a little 2 rough sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->