I need reassurance, and a hug..

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
I must be in a weepy mood. My DF works in the oil sands and he works away. He wont be back for a few months (nov/dec) where we wil; be eloping at christmas so im planning that. I am so afraid to book my first appointment. Im only 5w1d and im going to wait till im 7 weeks, but im just terrified. I don't know what they will do the first time round (this is my first) and I have medical anxiety. I just want to hear and see my baby, I have bad dreams about miscarriage all the time (we have tried for 15 months) and im just all around terrified, confused and scared. we moved across the country in janurary so my entire family is back in Ontario and I just feel like crap.

Can someone explain to me how to even book the appointment, and what they will do and when I can see my baby? DF wont be with me and I just feel beyond alone and confused.

I understand what you're going through hun. Hugs.

When I got pregnant many moons ago I made an apt with my gp first cuz I didn't have an ob. In that apt (and it's been the same with my subsequent 2 pregnancies) she checked my blood pressure, lungs and belly. She offered to do an exam if I wanted one. They took around 6 vials of blood and a urine sample and that was it. My ob doesn't see her patients unless there's a reason to before 12 weeks. At that apt they do weight, medical history if it's not available, blood pressure belly etc and check for a heart beat with the Doppler.

I don't know if that helped, but for me that's how it all went. Good luck.

thank you <3 that does help. I may try and have a friend come along cause I get dizzy with blood work. When can I ask for my scan? If they don't look for a heart beat can I request it with the Doppler?

I don't know under what circumstances if nothing is wrong that you get a scan before 20 weeks. As I said, I'm just going off my Dr. Every Dr is different and it is certainly worth asking if you want one. Your gp if you see them first won't look for a hb, your ob will for sure at first apt. For me that's never been before 12 weeks. If you're really anxious to see you can look for a local ultrasound place that does non diagnostic imaging. You'd pay for it, but you'd get to see baby before your Dr would send you most likely.
First apt always takes a lot of blood so if you get dizzy or queazy bring a friend :)

You may get offered the 12 week scan to check for downs etc
I did this just to see the baby sooner other wise it is at 20 weeks xx unless complications of course xx

I just called an ob office and they set me up with one (ended up switching but within the same practice). Just Google obs in your area and call and say you just moved to the area and just found out your pregnant. They'll get you in with probably no questions asked. I'm not sure how it works in Canada though. I was able to get a scan at 7 weeks. Got to see Peanut and hear his heartbeat. But I've had previous ectopics so an early scan was needed to rule it out again. They did take blood, 3 viles and a urin sample. Gave me the list of no-nos when it comes to medicine and food and some information on being rh- as well as a couple scripts for morning sickness (I got it BAD) and sent me home with an ultrasound pic. :)

It's smart to wait until 7 weeks. I hope you can get an early scan. I changed OB/GYNs between pregnancies, and they both do scans at every appointment. This time, I've had one at 7, 8, and 10 weeks. Will have my next at 13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->