I only produce 1oz

Hope1409

My baby girl is here!
Reaction score
Hi ladies. Any suggestions on how to increase my supply? My LO is almost two weeks old and I pump every three hours but can produce 1oz combined....not even 1oz from each breast!!!! It's very discouraging and I don't want to give up. I have to supplement with formula when i don't have enough of mine.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!! :flower:

Are you exclusively pumping or pumping to build up a freezer supply? Xx

Are you exclusively pumping or pumping to build up a freezer supply? Xx

I am exclusively pumping because I like to know how much she's getting. So I pump and since I don't produce a lot, I keep it in the fridge until i have enough to give to her. I would like to produce enough where I wouldn't have to supplement with formula but I don't know how to increase :shrug:

Some women don't respond to a pump well though, I can only usually get 0.5 to 1oz but my babies gain weight fine so I know they are getting enough. Successfully exclusively pumping is very difficult to maintain and you might not be able to increase the amount you get out via pumping xx

summer rain is right - pumping isn't a good indicator of how much your baby is getting at the breast. Babies are much more efficient at pulling milk from your breast than a pump. I was never able to get more than 5 oz at a time, at that was after months of breastfeeding. I had to pump in the beginning because LO was jaundice and I never got more than an ounce. If your comfortable BF, I would just do that. You can still pump but you're going to build up your supply faster if you put your baby to your breast.

I never responded well to the pump and struggled to pump enough when I went back to work. I also nursed though, so that is how I kept my supply up. However, if you want to exclusively pump, check out kellymom.com (great resource for anything BF related) there might be tips/tricks you can try. I believe there is a section on exclusively pumping.

I had the same issue, then I tried using a manual pump instead of the electric and it made a world of difference. I think my electric was the wrong size, it was made for small breasts but when I breastfeed I get huge! haha!

I only pump once or twice a day and even then I only do the breast that's not being used at that feeding time. I find I get more if I'm nursing on the other breast. The most I've got is 4oz from one breast and me wee one is just over 6 weeks.

You can pump no where near the volume that your baby can suck out of you so please don't stress it. We're about to try and introduce bottles today (as I'm off back to work after 6 months)... so wish us luck! we're trying the Calma bottles from Medela as we're wanting to avoid 'Pea' rejecting my boobies in preference for bottles.

Definitely stop pumping Hun.

You don't need to know how much baby is getting. As long as you have wet and dirty nappies then they are getting enough.

Your baby is so young, you both need the stimulation.

If you're only pumping once every 3 hours your supply won't get big enough. You shouldn't really pump before 10-12 weeks I thought.

I was exclusively pumping for the same reason but also because breastfeeding hurt. But the same thing happened, I had to supplement with formula. I started just sucking it up and breastfeeding, using a breast shield, and my supply shot up. I could tell cos LO was happy after a feed and I even had some extra to pump and keep away in the freezer. This worked for me after 6 weeks of not breastfeeding, don't let anyone ever tell you it's too late if this is what you'd like to try.

Otherwise, I did try taking brewer's yeast once a day when I woke up and it seemed to make me produce a but more. But no an exponential amount.

Good luck!

Thank u ladies! I will try to put her back on the breast and see where that goes. Now on top of everything it seems like LO is struggling with gas :/ i wish they could just tell us what was wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->