I read that unripened papaya causes contractions. *edited*

jzgrace

Reaction score
The article (webmd) said that unripened papaya may cause uterine contractions. And that it should be avoided in early pregnancy due to the affects it has on the uterus. It said the latex (milky white substance) in the fruit is what causes the contractions. Something to do with triggering the release of two chemicals that start labor. Oxytocin and another one....starts with a P. Has anyone ever heard of this working to jump start labor? Try it? Did it work? Im so uncomfortable and if I dont have this baby in two weeks im going to try this.

Additionally:
I read that it is recommended to eat a green papaya salad 3 times a day to reap the benefits.
I read this from western research as well as Chinese.
The Chinese also say barley water stimulates labor. (Red bean and barley soup 3 times a day) but it says to talk to your doctor about the barley water because it has properties that reduce fluids (dont want to risk amniotic fluid reduction??) It is said to jump start labor and reduce swelling that comes in late 3rd tri. Anyone use this method??

No one has heard of anyone trying this or tried it themselves?? I'll be a guinea pig for this if my mw ok's it.

In India Pregnant women are forbidden from eating the raw papaya and pineapples in the early(and later) stages of pregnancy for the fear of a MC.

Oh thats interesting! The later stages too? I wonder if it can cause mc in the later stages. The articles I read said to avoid it in early pregnancy because of the contractions the fruits latex causes it didnt say anything about avoiding it in late pregnancy . I think the docs in india are very smart. There are some great indian docs here in the u.s. my first o.b. was indian and I LOVED him. He was the best. I'll have to talk to my doc about this.

The MW told me to eat pinaple core when I was overdue (I still went 10 days over). I've tried unripe (nothing to do with pregnancy) papaya though and its horrid. My mum was told to eat papaya during pregnancy to help with heart burn but that wasn't unripe.

pinnpeaple is good if your body is ready. It wont work unless your bodies kinda ready though and you have to eat it over several days.

iv never heard the papaya though :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->