I think I have mastitis ?

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
Out of nowhere my right breast is hurting really bad, it feels like there's a lump that's painful to touch even when baby is laying on my chest

I feel really cold and I'm shaking like when I have a flu? im away from home at the moment so I won't be able to see gp any time soon. Does this sound like mastitis? And what can I do to relieve the pain?

Edit: I've taken ibuprofen as I feel really poorly :(

Definitely sounds like mastitis. Is there a walk-in clinic or anything that you can get to today? I've had numerous rounds of mastitis and needed antibiotics every time. It can get bad fairly quickly so I'd really try to get to a doctor asap.

In the meantime keep feeding from the affected breast as often as possible and try to gently massage or hand pump to try to get the milk moving if you can feel a clogged duct. But it's also possible for mastitis to start without a clogged duct in which case you'd really likely need to see a doctor to clear it up.

If you can't find a place to get antibiotics, but can find a health food store, get some oil of oregano capsules. I took one a day and it knocked it out in just a couple days. Showering and massaging the area helped it feel a tad better for me and I also took ibuprofen. :hugs:

Like the others have said, you may well need antibiotics. However, some other things that may help are:

- feeding baby on the affected side as often as possible. If you are comfortable trying different positions, try to position the baby's chin against the lump.
- Apply heat to the affected area before feeding / hand expressing (hot shower or dry heat work), then apply cold after feeding/massaging to reduce swelling.
- Ibuprofen is good for pain relief, and also helps to reduce any swelling in the breast. Paracetamol is also good for the fever/flu symptoms.
- Drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as possible.

I have managed to fend off the start of mastitis a couple of times by doing the above. I took all my supplies to the bedroom and just stayed in bed and fed the baby and slept all day and it really helped. I have needed antibiotics quite a few times though too so I would recommend trying to get to a GP /walk in centre if you get worse.

Thanks a lot for all the advice ladies :flower:

I took ibuprofen last night as I was feeling so cold and shaky, LO fed from the painful breast and I've woke up feeling better and no longer have the pain thank god! I'm assuming I don't need to see a Dr now that I'm no longer in pain. Hopefully it doesn't return as that was awful x

You are very lucky that it seemed to clear up before it got too bad! I let my matistis get bad and had to get antibiotics and i stopped breastfeeding after as well (this was with my first child).

Hope you're pain didn't return babyjan! As you know I had mastitis and my symptoms were the same as yours. If you feel the same again dfinatley get to gp for antibiotics hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->