I think I missed something washing nappies...

ellers

Mum to Louie!
Reaction score
We've got a little stash of washables (BG, LL, ittibitti, and about to get a couple of flips), mostly pocket ones.
I think I need to wash them all first, as in, before LO uses them for the first time, is that right!?
Just liners, or outers as well?
Confused, sorry :wacko:

Yes you do really need to wash them a few times before use. I throw the whole lot into the machine (obviously not the Flip covers) and have washed everything with a bit of non bio once and then done several hot rinses (think all of them have been done at least 4 times).
Others just rinse them once or twice and use, they just change them more often until they have reached full absorbency which can be up to ten washes for some nappies I believe.

Thanks!
See, this is where i'm getting confused :blush: - where we've got nappies that use microfibre, bamboo etc inserts (so the pocket ones, I guess) do we just wash the inserts a lot to get them absorbant, but not the actual nappy they go into?
And with the two part systems, do we NOT wash the wraps, just the inner nappy and their liners?
I can see myself sitting on the floor in the kitchen, surrounded with nappies, trying to figure out what on earth I'm doing! I'll get there hopefully...

I did wash the pocket ones, the ones I didnt were the two parter outers so any bits that are specifically "wraps".

Oooh. Sorry to ask a question in your thread but it's kind of related. Do you need to dry them between washes or can you just pop them damp back in the washer for the 2nd/3rd etc wash?

I just rinsed repeatedly unless I was trialling drying methods.

I normally let them dry inbetween and let Lo wear it for an hour, mainly because i hate washing clean nappies :blush: after 2/3 washes i increase the time accordingly.

Yes you do really need to wash them a few times before use. I throw the whole lot into the machine (obviously not the Flip covers) and have washed everything with a bit of non bio once and then done several hot rinses (think all of them have been done at least 4 times).
Others just rinse them once or twice and use, they just change them more often until they have reached full absorbency which can be up to ten washes for some nappies I believe.

actually cotton babies advises you wash the bumgenuis flip covers as they won't confirm them as being totally colourfast on a hot wash until they've been wash at least 5 times. i guess it's so they cover themselves from any accidental dye issues.

haha, funny you should mention the Flip covers, I almost added on the end that I put the covers in the machine with some green bath towels as I was concerned about colour leaking onto my nice white inserts and nappies during washing or use as Id heard quite a number of people mention that BG nappies sometimes run colour (not something Ive experienced as yet but you never know!)

no i never experinced colour run with Bg either, apparently the zinnias supposed to be the worst but never had a problem, tbh i never even thought about seperating :laugh2: :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->