I think it's time to throw in the towel :(

Reaction score
I think it's time to give up. I breastfed my lo for 17.5 weeks and it has been a struggle the whole time. In the beginning it was latch issues and when that finally got better, it was supply issues. A doctor stuck a bottle into my son's mouth at 4 days old and ever since I have been trying to get my supply back up. I have pumped, taken fenugreek, mothers milk tea, Gatorade, non alcoholic beer, prescription medication, and my milk has never satisfied my son.

It has been such an emotional roller coaster and I have mixed feelings about stopping. I took a trip about 2 weeks ago and decided that I would just nurse him morning and night and if when I got back home, I still had milk, then I would decide if I wanted to continue trying to get my supply up. I knew that there was a huge possibility that my milk would dry up but I didn't want to have to worry about pumping every 2 hours when I was on the trip, it would be almost impossible. About half way through the trip I needed to take antibiotics and I cannot nurse him when I am on them. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. I miss it and I am so sad that I am not nursing anymore.

Ty for all your advice. I really don't know where I would be without it. I am sure I would have quit a long time ago. I know that it is great that my son got 4 months of breast feeding and every drop he got was better than not but I am so sad how this turned out. I feel jipped. I never would have thought breastfeeding was this hard. I really hope that if I have another baby that bf is much easier. I wish I knew what I know now when my son was first born. I wish I could have a do over. I am proud of sticking with it this long. As much as I logically know I'm not, I can't help feeling like a failure.

On the positive side, my son is a thriving 19 week old. I love him just the same as when I bf him or when I give him a bottle. He is wonderful and I am happy he was able to get some breast milk from me and happy for the bond it created between us. I cannot wait to bf my next baby and I hope that everything I went through with my first will help me succeed with my second.

Sounds like you've had a tough time! You did better than I did with my first son :)

Just know you've done the best for your baby! Your love has little to do with how he is fed, please give yourself a little slack.

Well done for getting this far :) I struggled with my first too and gave up at a similar age. Next time around you'll feel much better prepared.

Four months is awesome! :happydance:

You are a great mum. I understand the agony over bf vs ff, but in the long run it's more important to have a happy and healthy mum and bubs. Be proud of your achievement and look forward to the next exciting feeding stage in a couple months - mashed fruit in your carpet and trying to figure out the best way to remove stains from bibs. Ha ha :winkwink:

Hun you have done amazing to get this far!! You've given your baby the best possible start. Formula is fine...at the end of the day your baby is getting fed!!! :hugs:

well done for all you've achieved, you've given lo the best start :thumbup:

Sounds like you've had a tough time! You did better than I did with my first son :)

Just know you've done the best for your baby! Your love has little to do with how he is fed, please give yourself a little slack.

I am better on myself now than when I first had to supplement. I am sure over time I will be ok with everything.

Maxy, I am so looking forward to that stage! It is just right around the corner!

You did well that you've reached 4 months with all these struggles! You are a terrific mommy.

You should look back on your struggles and say "I tried my very best". That's all anyone can ask of themselves in any situation. Carrying on would have just meant more stress for you, your LO and the whole family.

I've always said situations like yours is exactly why formula should be available. Sometimes BF just doesn't work. We can have all sorts of statistics bandied about, but the reality is sometimes formula is the best solution. Your LO is still fed well, is still thriving, is still getting what he needs so no need to beat yourself up. Well done for persevering.

You should look back on your struggles and say "I tried my very best". That's all anyone can ask of themselves in any situation. Carrying on would have just meant more stress for you, your LO and the whole family.

I've always said situations like yours is exactly why formula should be available. Sometimes BF just doesn't work. We can have all sorts of statistics bandied about, but the reality is sometimes formula is the best solution. Your LO is still fed well, is still thriving, is still getting what he needs so no need to beat yourself up. Well done for persevering.

The crazy thing is I just finished my antibiotics and the thought crossed my mind to start pumping and trying again. It's just too much work for not enough milk. I know I tried my best and that is all I can do...

I had to stop breastfeeding my son at 4 months as well. I returned to work fulltime and since I couldn't pump at work (plus I could get more out hand expressing than using that darn pump) my son took formula during the day. I didn't know anything of being careful of what type bottle/nipple to use. Had no idea nipple confusion existed. I quickly found out when he refused to nurse from me in the evenings when I returned home.

I wanted to take all the bottles and burn them :hissy: I was so sad and disappointed! Especially considering how well and easy it was to breastfed him. I hated staggering in the kitchen in the middle of the night to fix him a bottle. We never had any issues at all. He took to breastfeeding like a pro (thank goodness, don't know who I would've asked for help if he had not!).

My daughter was a different story. She had latch issues from the start. It took about 3 weeks before I stopped curling my toes and crossing my eyes when she latched on. My nipples were cracked, blistered, bleeding and oh so sore :cry: I dreaded when it was time to feed her. But I knew it would eventually get better once she got the hang of it and it did :) She's now a year old and we're still breastfeeding.

I did have a doctor try to tell me at her 8 week check up that I needed to give a bottle of formula before bed to help her sleep. I couldn't believe my ears. Her weight was up, she was longer in length, and was sleeping 5-7 hour blocks at night by 6 weeks old! My son didn't sleep that well even after he was on solids! Needless to say, I switched doctors. :winkwink:

I think what makes the end of breastfeeding worse is not only the fact that you feel as if you have failed but the hormones pile in on you as well. I was a mess when my son would no longer nurse from me. You did a great job going as long as you did. :thumbup:

Next time around you'll be more informed and more confident and will be able to breastfeed longer. I am sure of it. If my daughter was my first child I am not sure I would've been able to hang in like I did. I got incredibly lucky with my son. I also read and researched EVERYTHING while pregnant with daughter and found out things that I didn't know with my son. Confidence in yourself to breastfeed is a game changer. As long as baby has output, you know he/she's getting input. Don't let anyone make you doubt yourself and you'll do even better next time. :flower:

I had to stop breastfeeding my son at 4 months as well. I returned to work fulltime and since I couldn't pump at work (plus I could get more out hand expressing than using that darn pump) my son took formula during the day. I didn't know anything of being careful of what type bottle/nipple to use. Had no idea nipple confusion existed. I quickly found out when he refused to nurse from me in the evenings when I returned home.

I wanted to take all the bottles and burn them :hissy: I was so sad and disappointed! Especially considering how well and easy it was to breastfed him. I hated staggering in the kitchen in the middle of the night to fix him a bottle. We never had any issues at all. He took to breastfeeding like a pro (thank goodness, don't know who I would've asked for help if he had not!).

My daughter was a different story. She had latch issues from the start. It took about 3 weeks before I stopped curling my toes and crossing my eyes when she latched on. My nipples were cracked, blistered, bleeding and oh so sore :cry: I dreaded when it was time to feed her. But I knew it would eventually get better once she got the hang of it and it did :) She's now a year old and we're still breastfeeding.

I did have a doctor try to tell me at her 8 week check up that I needed to give a bottle of formula before bed to help her sleep. I couldn't believe my ears. Her weight was up, she was longer in length, and was sleeping 5-7 hour blocks at night by 6 weeks old! My son didn't sleep that well even after he was on solids! Needless to say, I switched doctors. :winkwink:

I think what makes the end of breastfeeding worse is not only the fact that you feel as if you have failed but the hormones pile in on you as well. I was a mess when my son would no longer nurse from me. You did a great job going as long as you did. :thumbup:

Next time around you'll be more informed and more confident and will be able to breastfeed longer. I am sure of it. If my daughter was my first child I am not sure I would've been able to hang in like I did. I got incredibly lucky with my son. I also read and researched EVERYTHING while pregnant with daughter and found out things that I didn't know with my son. Confidence in yourself to breastfeed is a game changer. As long as baby has output, you know he/she's getting input. Don't let anyone make you doubt yourself and you'll do even better next time. :flower:

I hate bottles as well! And formula! But I don't know what my baby would be eating if it wasn't for formula so I guess I shouldn't hate it too much. That must have been so hard for you when your baby didn't want to nurse anymore. I can't imagine a dr telling you that! That gets me so mad!

I really hope I will be able to bf my next baby! I know way more now and I hope I can mentally prepare myself for the possible problems. I was looking at my pics of when he was first born and I have one of him laying next to my boob as I tried to breast feed. My boob was HUGE! It was practically as big as him! I'm not sure if that was part of the initial problem too.

I know what you mean about the huge boobs. I still can't get over how big a boob can get and then go back to pre-breastfeeding size :saywhat: A friend told me to make sure you take pictures of before and after (I'm sure she meant covered but who knows :haha: ) because you really don't realize how Dolly Parton-ish you are until you are back to normal and look back at photos.

I think the reason my son did so well was because he was a large baby. My daughter was a small baby and just couldn't seem to open her mouth wide enough.

I'm sure you'll do great next time around :) Especially now that you have some experience under your belt. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->