I think we've settled.

sojourn

Soon to have 2 under 2
Reaction score
My husband, I love him, but he has the most insane ideas for baby names (Mackrellious, Debarkavius, Demetri, Mingo) They're not all bad, I just don't think they would suit the chubby, freckled face little blonde kids that we'll end up producing.

Plus he sold the naming rights of his first born child to his best friend. He teased me that "A deal's a deal!" and I was adamantly NOT going to let that happen. Til I talked about it with his best friend. The friend and I were instantly able to agree on a great name, so now, as the husband says...a deal's a deal!

For a boy we named it the least offensive of the names my husband liked (and his favorite) his best friend's first name and my father's first name.
Crasher Joseph John
It took me a long time to come around for Crasher. I was disappointed when my brother named his kid Asher because I *almost* had my husband convinced to go with it.

The girls were a bit easier, my husband didn't pick horrible names for girls.
Coral Louise.
Coral like the Coral Sea (our last name is pronounced the the same as sea, though spelled differently) and Louise for my bad-ass great-grandmother. Joe didn't care what we named a girl, so that was easy.

We probably just need to have a boy and a girl and stop, because we are never going to be able to agree on anything else.

Im lucky my other half is quite relaxed and his choices mostly fit with my style luckily... although when I was pregnant he wouldn't take it seriously and kept suggesting:

Hilarious - this was in the baby name book, frend says it pronounced hell-ee-os not sure, pretty sure thats spelled different
Financial - our surname is another word for responsibility
Balthazar - not bad but all I can think is charmed
Pumphrey - are you kidding me really lol

never heard of crasher as a name before but coral is lovely

out of curiosity whats wrong with Demetri?
I used to love that when I was little because its the name of the pterodactyl in land before time but I couldn't say it so used to call him pete-tree lol

I like the other 2 names you have for the boy but as far as crasher goes I really am not keen, I feel that child may get picked on as the name is so out there

If your brother named his son Asher, I would personally avoid Crasher.

Coral is lovely though!

I kind of liked Demitri, I don't think it fits with our last name. Demetrious is what he originally picked, but it's very common where we live, so he liked Demitri. IDK I just don't love it.

I understand not being in love with the name Crasher. Though, I'm of the opinion that a kid can get picked on with any name. I am Danielle, I have a brother named Noah. Normal, right? Dan-smell, Dan-hell, No-duh. Kids will pick on other kids regardless of their name. I'd be less likely to pick on a kid name Crasher, because they'll probably pound you! lol... We'll probably call them Crash or Cash for short or something else entirely.

As for the Crasher/Asher situation, we don't care. My brother thinks that Crasher is awesome. I live in the US and my brother lives in England, so it's not like they'll get mixed up too often. My brother calls his kid Asher, Crasher, Dasher, Splasher or whatever reflects what the kid is up to.

It's weird for sure. But that's what the kid has two normal middle names to pick from. I'll be more than happy to let him choose when the time comes. That's my rule. If you have a crazy name you have to give the kid a normal middle or first name in order to let them choose to go with your dumb choice or be a reasonable person. Crasher is so strange that I'm offering the poor kid two extra names!

I jokingly talked to some of my 2-5 year old students about a kid named Crasher and they all, unanimously thought it was awesome and thought they would want to be Crasher's friend. One of my kids has a mohawk and is quite the little rebel, he would make a great Crasher!
That's clearly not the reason we're sticking with it, but I thought it was cute.

Either way. It's the ONLY thing we've remotely agreed on. So I am not rocking the boat. Trust me, it could get MUCH worse. My husband likes the idea of completely making up names or naming kids after obscure scientific facts/objects/phenomenon. So unless I want a kid named ketoacidosis or something I am leaving well enough alone.

That's so true, kids will find something about any name to make fun of. My name is Laurel and people would think they were so clever in rhyming it just about anything. Especially in high school, this one guy (total jerk) called me Oral Laurel for no good reason. Luckily he was an idiot and no one payed attention to him, so the name never stuck. But I absolutely love my name because it's unique.

I also think that more and more people are picking unusual names for their kids, so maybe but the time our LO's hit kindergarten they will be much more accepting of any name since there will be a bunch of different ones in class.

Crasher is cute and the plan of giving him normal middle names is great. A woman I know named her kids Alandra, Kaelise, and Alaric and gave them very normal middle names....just in case. They all love their unique names, though, so it was never an issue. :) Go for it!

We're naming our boy Maverick, so I understand the slightly different, but awesome name thing ;) And you guys are right, kids will make fun of whatever, regardless of the name, but at the same time kids these days are used to different names. Besides, every common name today was the new name at some point! I think if you're ok with it and DH loves it, go with it, there are tons of dads that could care less.

Either way. It's the ONLY thing we've remotely agreed on. So I am not rocking the boat. Trust me, it could get MUCH worse. My husband likes the idea of completely making up names or naming kids after obscure scientific facts/objects/phenomenon. So unless I want a kid named ketoacidosis or something I am leaving well enough alone.

lol my medical chemistry lecture told us a story about how her god-daughter is called Malena (seems pretty enough right) and how she had to stop herself from laughing... seriously research you child's name first because she never had the heart to tell the parents that Malena is a medical term a lower GI track bleed so literally means 'arse blood' :dohh: lol

THIS!
If I am not careful, I could totally end up with a little baby Arse Blood. LOL

See? Crasher isn't so bad after that, is it?! hahaha

lol my medical chemistry lecture told us a story about how her god-daughter is called Malena (seems pretty enough right) and how she had to stop herself from laughing... seriously research you child's name first because she never had the heart to tell the parents that Malena is a medical term a lower GI track bleed so literally means 'arse blood' :dohh: lol

I've met a couple of Malenas and I always think of arse blood and the awful smell that comes along with it!

I must admit Crasher is kind of cool. I wouldnt have the courage to name a kid that but if he has the cool attitude he could totally pull off that name.

I like it! Crash is a cool nn!

To be fair, my name is Sophie and one idiot ended up calling me Pie all the way through high school (I was a little chubby :haha:) I don't think it matters what your name is, you're always going to get one fool :shrug:

I love Asher! Crasher isn't Asher but Its still pretty cute (Asher is in my top10), my cousin named his baby cash and I love it!

My name is Melanie and I was called smelly melli (I didn't stink I promise!)

I'm naming my boy Edison after my dad Edward.... Eddy for short. I've had mixed reviews but I really like the name and am not changing my mind for anything. I say if you like the name and you and the father agree on it then who cares what others think. As long as its not something like Dumas (a name kids will for sure make fun of) then go for it! I like Crasher as a name, I'd just be scared to jinx him and he be a clutz :)

I'm naming my boy Edison after my dad Edward.... Eddy for short. I've had mixed reviews but I really like the name and am not changing my mind for anything. I say if you like the name and you and the father agree on it then who cares what others think. As long as its not something like Dumas (a name kids will for sure make fun of) then go for it! I like Crasher as a name, I'd just be scared to jinx him and he be a clutz :)

I might be missing something but whats Dumas and why is it bad :confused:

I might be missing something but whats Dumas and why is it bad :confused:

I saw a commercial where the boss' name was Dumas and everyone kept calling him dumb a$$, whenever I think of names I always think of that commercial. It's random but that's honestly the only name I will forever think of the bad name instead of how it should be pronounced.

I love Edison! That is so cute.

I am the clumsiest person EVER! But my husband is super graceful and athletic. I figure the kid's got a 50/50 shot of being either.

Crasher is sure to stand out among his cousins (whether it's this baby we get to use it on or a different one). We have some lovely, but mostly normal names. Asher, Hannah, Zachariah, Nathaniel, Daniel, Peter and Carissa. When I told my older brother he was sad he didn't name his son Daniel Crasher instead. It suits him!

When my brother and sister-in-law were in the hospital with Daniel my then fiance and I came to see them. They told us the name "Daniel Mitchell", (my name, at the time, was Danielle Mitchell) my husband was quite touched and he said "Oh wow, you named him after..." and my brother was like "what are you talking abo-. Oh! We didn't even think of that!"

My dumb ass brother named his kid two letters off from my name and didn't even think of me. They'd even had this name picked out for months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->