I thought that it they were going to make it 'pay to work'

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
Yet George Osbourne is raising benefits by 5%?what the hell?

It's a not a benefit bashing thread...but they aren't putting those off who claim benefits as a career choice...

I am currently in reciept on IS and if they up it by 5% then i will be better off staying at home :wacko:

Benefits is for when you are in dire need and on the bones of your arse not a bloody career.

V xxx

I am currently in reciept on IS and if they up it by 5% then i will be better off staying at home :wacko:

Benefits is for when you are in dire need and on the bones of your arse not a bloody career.

V xxx

Exactly hun....benefits should be a safety net.xx

They're putting it up!? Why? And when does this go into effect? Surely that will make the country worse off? xx

But they won't give the public sector workers a rise? All our pay is frozen.

Bloody joke.

How valued do I feel right now. They keep spouting they've no money for the workers...but then rise the fecking benefits by 5%!

Great move.

no wonder there are strikes! i believe in a society that helps each other, but this just feels like a kick in the teeth for many! xx

Well thats stupid, we just lost £90 a week in tax credits cause hubby got a 12p an hour pay rise! So now we are over £300 a month worse off. Can't believe benefits are going up 5% those who work haven't had a payrise for months or years in some cases and with the country headed back into recession it is just ridiculous to hand out what money the government does have.

Bloody joke.

How valued do I feel right now. They keep spouting they've no money for the workers...but then rise the fecking benefits by 5%!

Great move.

Agree with this :thumbup: ..........it really annoys me!

This country is ran by a bunch of morons. Fact.

Bloody joke.

Great move.

Great isn't it. WTC cut or frozen.

Public sector wages frozen and before then capped way below inflation.

Benefits go up loads.

So angry I don't even know where to start.

Can you imagine the uproar if workers got a pay rise of 5%.....there would be bloody uproar. Why the hell do benefit claimants need 5%?

instead of wasting this money..
why don't they spend it on helping people get childcare to go to college, or people into work..

it's ridiculous.. shouldn't they spend money on helping people off benefits and into work.. why would anyone do the lower paid jobs if they get handouts for free?

if everyone was offered childcare and not allowed to stay on benefits after their child was say 3 or 4.. then maybe more people would go back to work, and after the 2nd or 3rd child.. then they have to go back after say they were 1 or 2, then maybe we wouldn't have the benefit culture?

I agree, it is madness...

Can I just point out though, that they are also helping people get back into work. I'm a lone parent on IS and I have to attend compulsory work focused interviews or your benefits get dropped. And their also offering lone parents(not sure bout others) incentives to go back to work. Which I think is a good thing! Its not easy being on jobseekers either as my friend has to attend courses and voluntary work now which she doesn't get paid for nor her travel costs covered and has to survive on a measly amount a week. I read in a thread on here the struggle a family have had surviving on jobseekers because her partner lost his job... Benefits are not always the comfiest option... not for honest families/people only claiming what they should be(I'm well aware of people that fiddle the system!).

I wouldn't mind losing some WTC if the price of childcare was cut!xx

I wouldn't mind losing some WTC if the price of childcare was cut!xx

Yup!

Before I met DH I was a single mum of 2 and needed benefits to survive. It wasn't an easy ride but I was very grateful for being able to claim.

I asked them to calculate how much better off I would be if I worked, and it came out as £5 a week better off or some measly amount which would immediately be eaten up, and more, by transport costs etc etc.

The whole system is fundamentally wrong IMO. Childcare costs are so high that parents who want to work are priced out of that. The minimum wage is pitiful, whilst the gap between this and those at the top is ludicrous. Rent is so expensive that a huge proportion of families need top-ups from Housing Benefit, which can be in turn seen as propping up inflated rent and property prices via the buy to let lot.

It's not surprising that certain benefit claimants see workers as mugs :growlmad:

ahh sophie what i'm saying is.. they can soemtimes help to get back to work.. but only certain jobs..
there's no help for childcare - yet most people on income support are lone perants or "lone perants" ... either way..

i know me personally.. i want to go to college next year, but i can't find any way to pay for childcare, my local college don't have much funding, and will only pay £30 a term towards one child.. i now have to find £480ish a week out of my money.. which is impossible.. if i go and get a job.. then i will be in a low paid job forever.. if i wait till both my children are in school..
then i can go to college..

however.. by this time surely most people get accustomed to the way of life.. ?

i think their should be more support for adults with children.. and there should deffinatly be a lower cap on chilcare especially over the age of 2!
round here the cheapest i've found is a surestart one.. and they charge £240ish a week..

oh and btw - when i had my better off calculation - they worked out i'd be £64 worse off if i went to work because of the cost of childcare!

I totally agree about the childcare.

Alex - Only thing with going to college & uni these days is people still can't get a job at the end of it. It was on the news the other day... All these uni leavers can't get jobs because there are none. I would love to go to college aswell but also wouldn't be able to survive and theres still no guarantee of a decent paid job at the end of it. Basically... the economy is SHIT at the mo.

P.s I've just noticed your pregnant again, Eeeeeeeek Congratulations!! :) xx

thanks chick - facebook doesn't know yet soo shhh.. it's a bnb exclusive haha!

and yeah i know - but the job i wanna do you can't go into with no qualifications.. so i was going to college then going to a vocational uni..
i wanna be a nurse.. so just gunna do an access course at college, then try and get into a uni..
and that's because most uni leavers assume that because they went to uni they have a right to a certain level of job..
but if uni leavers competed for jobs against people who'd never been to uni their life, they'd probably more likely to get it, if they've had experience of working whilst at uni? it's just a relative thing..

like people who had never been to uni probably owuldn't try and jump in at a job earning 25k a year.. but someone who had been to uni assume they have a right to at least earn that.. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->