I thought that it they were going to make it 'pay to work'

I pay more than £700 a month for my children to be in childcare for 2.5 days. We couldn't afford to pay full time, we couldn't afford for me to give up. So we have to juggle OH's shift work, my leave and rely on family and friends to help cover the days when I'm in work.

I have a friend who is £20 per week worse off working part time, than what she was on benefits. She wants to work and has taken that drop - but what kind of example is that?

To know these people on benefit 5.2% rise and she'll only get one should her bosses give her one, same with us public sector workers!

i agree.. especially after todays strikes..
i feel so sorry for the public sector workers, who have been paying for years into their pension fund..
it's like someone stealing your savings, or coming and taking your house, saying sorry not yours any more, we're gunna rent it and use that to pay our countries debt.. x

Thats ridiculous. People who work have to budget for things when prices go up so why should it be different.

The other thing was that it would have cost the gov't MORE if I worked when I was a single mum, cos of the help towards childcare, than me staying on benefits :wacko:

I *THINK* things like carers and DLA go up but not Jobseekers if I am correct.

Jobseekers is too hun....there was a man on tv saying it would only be enough for 2 loaves of bread......or some fags :dohh:

Yup I believe benefits all rise at the start of the new tax year (April) by the rate of inflation the previous year (think that's right)

So the reason the rises are high is because of price rises being high. It's ludicrous that working people are up shit creek again though, make work pay??? :wacko: They should NOT increase benefits by more than whatever average WAGE increases are IMO.

:flower:

Jobseekers is too hun....there was a man on tv saying it would only be enough for 2 loaves of bread......or some fags :dohh:

:rofl:

I know I shouldn't laugh but dja know what...it just sums up our country!

After all the shit we've had today and then this :roll: If I don't laugh, I'll cry.

"Oooh...more money for me fags"

Couldn't help myself....

sorry lol

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/bigtan22/lets-cut-benefits-for-those-who-refuse-to-work-uk-tory-conservative-poster-2010-555x277.gif

Irony ? :haha:

benefits will never stop puzzling me, if you work and have more kids your wages don't go up but benefits go up every year :shrug: they are really throwing working families under the bus, they want people to work but they offer a dead job market with not much prospects, they need to get more jobs and increase wages. :wacko:

I was made redundant in October so I booked an appointment with the Job Centre to help me find another job and they worked out how much I was paying out every month, I was left with just £5.56p at the end of paying all my bills, she worked out how much I would get in benefits and I was better off by £230. :shrug: she said I should really just claim IS until the girls go to nursery and then at least I wouldnt have to pay nursery fees so thats what I did.
I have worked from the day I left school and have continued to do so until October. I dont agree that it should go up because I have been in both situations and being at home and having my rent, council tax and everything paid for me pays off.
How do they expect someone to want to work when this is what happens? I was raised to work hard and to spend what is mine but right now I honestly cannot afford to work so I dont.

So if benefits are going up by 5%, will our taxes go up to accomodate this increase? Ridiculous.

maybe worth remembering that not everyone that claims benefits has it so easy and certainly don't wish to be in the situation they are in. For every 1 that appears in the papers saying how they get there 5 bed hours paid for and has flat screen TV's, all the mod cons ect, you can bet your bottom dollar that are another 100 that are struggling too keep their heads above water. yes there are a few that play the system but most don't, most are in a situation of 'no way out' they have been made redundant during a recession, they are now fighting against 20 or more other people for every job that comes up.

I see what your saying about if public sector workers can't have pay rises then why should people on benefits ....... but on the flip side it comes across as 'I can't have it so why should she', which seems a little ...... I dunno the word lol

So if benefits are going up by 5%, will our taxes go up to accomodate this increase? Ridiculous.

I am guessing all those middle income earners that are losing CTC's & child benefits will cover what is needed for the rise in other benefits

maybe worth remembering that not everyone that claims benefits has it so easy and certainly don't wish to be in the situation they are in. For every 1 that appears in the papers saying how they get there 5 bed hours paid for and has flat screen TV's, all the mod cons ect, you can bet your bottom dollar that are another 100 that are struggling too keep their heads above water. yes there are a few that play the system but most don't, most are in a situation of 'no way out' they have been made redundant during a recession, they are now fighting against 20 or more other people for every job that comes up.

I see what your saying about if public sector workers can't have pay rises then why should people on benefits ....... but on the flip side it comes across as 'I can't have it so why should she', which seems a little ...... I dunno the word lol

I dont know, in my town i know that alot of people abuse the system and dont want to work, have children to get a house or because they dont want to work....alot of my brothers friends claim they are 'depressed' so cant work and claim benefits whilst my brother works his butt off for nothing once all the bills are paid and foods on the table... the ones who work sometimes 2 or 3 jobs are the ones struggling to make ends meet, i know there maybe people out there who are honestly in a situation they are trying hard to get out or and trying to find work etc etc.......but where i have grown up around its certainly not the majority.

people on benefits shouldnt get a rise when public sector workers are having no pay rises.....the cost of living is still increasing yet our pay rises arent increasing which makes the working parents lives more of a struggle. My husband hasnt had a pay rise in 4 years.

I've been on benefits and know its not easy...far from it.my point was the ones who fiddle the system arebt going to be put off if they are getting more money.xx

I have to be honest here, i have been on benefits, and because they pay for your rent, and your council tax etc, i really am confused when people say they struggle, what are they doing with their money?! i know i only have one kid, and would like to think that maybe it gets harder the more people you have to support, BUT i can only think of people who have it easier based on the more children they have. I'm not saying its a LUSH lifestyle i'm just saying from my experience they have it no worse then low earning working families, of course i am talking about my experiences, as thats all you can really do, and i don't know anything about pensions, or disability. Etc. This is a real kick in the teeth. especially when i cannot see the justification

It's laughable. When you take into mind that they have capped public sector payrises at 1%... but then up benefits by 5.2% to cover the increasing cost of living. WTF? Do those on benefits shop at different shops with a higher rate of RPI than working people or something? Ugh xx

Buttonnose I get what you are saying I really do. I don't believe for a minute that the whole benefits system is just people who are on the fiddle.

However in our house,
- my DH has been made redundant this year(thankfully he had a job to go to),
-he will get no payrise in the forseeable future
-we do not get tax credits,
-will lose CB pretty soon,
-as a teacher when I return to work in August I will be looking at a big hike in my pension contributions alongside a pay freeze
- And we pay 40% tax on the income we do have (DH salary)

It is getting to the stage that I am sick to the back teeth of give, give, giving out of our family income inorder to fund others. We may not be on the breadline but we have to survive like everyone else. DH got a new job but he has a 140 mile round commute a day with a petrol bill over £400 a month now. Previously he was £1.30 each way on the bus. It is around a £330 increase a month that we have to find just so that he can actual get to his job. So I am afraid that I am just sick and tired of this Government taking from our family and us getting precious little in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->