Ibuprofen can delay ovulation?

mammag

Expecting a Rainbow
Reaction score
Going to copy and paste here, sorry it's so long, but I O'd 7 days later last month and the only thing I did differently was taking Ibuprofen for a headache I kept getting, so I looked it up and found this!

Can Ibuprofen Interfere with Ovulation?Posted Apr 23 2009 5:28pm Yes! Ibuprofen and other drugs that belong to non steroidal anti inflammatory drug class like aspirin, excedrin, motrin, advil, aleve etc. can interfere with ovulation. A study published in Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (Bata MS, Al-Ramahi M, Salhab AS, Gharaibeh MN, Schwartz J. Delay of ovulation by meloxicam in healthy cycling volunteers: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. J Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Aug;46(Cool:925-32) showed that women who took NSAID medication had delayed ovulation by approximately 5 days, decreased levels of serum progesterone in the second part of the cycle and increased follicle size. Other studies have suggested that NSAID’s can interfere with normal implantation.

If you trying to conceive it is important that you refrain from taking drugs that belong to NSAID category especially around ovulation time. Tylenol can be used since it does not belong to this category but it is definitely better to avoid any over the counter medications if possible.

If you are suffering from chronic pain, it is important to address the root cause of the issue and use safer and more gentle alternatives like acupuncture, herbal medicine, physical therapy, massage, yoga therapy, nutritional therapy, essential oils and others.

Common herbs that are used to decrease inflammation and relieve pain are ginger and turmeric. Both are commonly used in cooking in China and India. Adding ginger and turmeric to your food will not only add nice flavor and color to your dishes but also help with pain control. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant so if you suffer from muscular pain and stiffness taking an Epsom salt (magnesium) bath can help. Fish oil and cold liver oil can also help decrease inflammation and provide pain relief.

Myrrh, the resin of a tree Commiphora myrrha, has been used in both traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine to fight pain caused by inflammation. It is commonly paired with frankincense to create a powerful pain control formula.

Please consult with the licensed health care professional for treatment option that is appropriate for your condition.

I also had a very painful ovulation, which I have NEVER experienced before, but it makes perfect sense if the meds messed with it and caused my follicle to grow to large, so no more NSAIDS for me!

This is new to me! My doc had said not to use NSAIDs after OV as they can thin the uterine lining, making implantation more difficult. He did not mention anything as to delayed OV...good to know.

Thanks for sharing this! I read this previously and switched to Tylenol if needed.

No more Advil for me!!! Thanks for sharing this. My DH always says there is no need to worry about meds, drinking alcohol, ecetera until you know youre pregnant, thinks im paranoid for being so careful while ttc. Silly, silly man.

Thats good to know, no more neurofen or anadin for me! This is our first month ttc, it's probably a silly question but would bog standard paracetamol be okay or should I abstain from that too?

Thank you. I had never heard this before.

Gonna lock them all away. My OH can't take NSAIDS anyways, for other issues, but I had them around for headaches/muscle aches. No more.

so no advil for all of ttc or close to o time?...I am wondering because I am on cd7 and I am cramping, weird for me to do, but I am hurting so bad that I took an advil...

I guess I just screwed myself... :nope:

Thanks for sharing! Motrin was my otc drug of choice. Not anymore!!!

Thats good to know, no more neurofen or anadin for me! This is our first month ttc, it's probably a silly question but would bog standard paracetamol be okay or should I abstain from that too?

no hunny paracetamol are perfectly safe even in pregnancy, they wont interfere with ov, implant or pregnancy :)

I read this a few days ago... and i lived off Ibuprofen, Tramadol and Codeine Phosphate (i think thats how ya spell it lol) I had brain surgery not so long ago and still suffer from terrible headaches, so i basically did live off these.... Glad ive found it, though been referred for acupuncture :) x

thank you for posting this! I have been taking Naproxen for my hip bursitis and had no idea. I am on CD 19 and still no pos opk....wonder if this is why??? I will stop for sure now know this...agh!

so no advil for all of ttc or close to o time?...I am wondering because I am on cd7 and I am cramping, weird for me to do, but I am hurting so bad that I took an advil...

I guess I just screwed myself... :nope:

One advil isn't going to mess with anything, I still take the ibuprofen during AF because I get bad headaches at that time, but I wouldn't suggest it any later than CD7-8, tylenol or the UK alternate parcetamol would be best for ANY time after that, before or after O, as the ibuprofen can also interfere with implantation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->