Icsi

avenna

Reaction score
Hello,
just back from the FS and we have been referred to IVF clinic for ICSI.
I have never ever heard of this treatment but the leaflet says it is a relatively new treatment. looked on the internet and its says there are some risks with it. Me and hubby aren't sure wether or not we feel comfortable with having it but we are desperate for a baby!
Just wondering if anyone has had or is having this treatment? Any information and advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!
Thanks
xxx

hi aveena

im having ICSI. if you dont mind me asking why are you having to have ICSI?
ICSI is helpful if there is a problem with sperm as they put the sperm into the egg instead of them being left to do it on there own.

Hiya wrightywales thanks for replying.

Found out yesterday that hubbys SA came back with quite a few problems, not all of them i understood fully but had only 3,000,000 sperm count (FS said it should be at least 20million!) also only 3% were normal (should be 15%) and shown 0% motility which from what i understood was they weren't swimming. FS said as I was ovulating normally and we were being referred for ICSI they weren't going to test me for any other fertility problems.
We got a leaflet which seemed very brief too be honest and didn't really explain what ICSI was. teh doctor said ICSI wasnt his 'area' so he couldnt answer any of our questions but we've been referred and he said it should take 6 months. Not sure if that's 6months before we start treatment or 6 months just to see someone at the IVF clinic.
Both me and hubby are very confused.
What's you're experiences with it (if you don't mind sharing)?! Ive just read another post that somebody who is having ICSi saying that the girls have to have injections everyday!!! eeek! x

heya hun x x x

i've had ICSI, so i'll try and help you x x x

the ICSI and IVF treatment is the same all the way up to egg collection, so you will have to inject either way. The difference is that with IVF (after egg collection) the sperm and egg are left in a petri dish, soft music is put on, lights are dimmed, and it's hoped that they'll get jiggyjiggy ;)

with ICSI, the skilled expert will select the best sperm, and inject the lil bugger straight into the egg - this is because the sperm is unable to penetrate the shell on it's own. After that, everything is identical once more to IVF regards the culture they put it in for the cells to split, the transfer itself and the dreaded 2 week wait (2WW)

Most places now appear to do ICSI as a matter of course as "conception" is guaranteed. But after that, it's all down to nature (for both IVF and ICSI)

hope that helps hun x x x x :hugs:

The Only Difference With IVF & iCSI is Only what happens in the lab u will still have to do all the injections and things but in the lab with ivf they put the egg and sperm in to a dish and they meet together with icsi they inject the sperm in to the egg as the sperm are not able to swim to the egg so thats why they inject them.

re injections my sister is a nurse so im getting her to do mine as i couldnt do them myself and i wouldnt trust DH to do them lol xx

Hope this helps

Thanks for replying. that has eased my mind knowing that it's similar to IVF. I think is was the fact that ICSI is a relatively new treatment. At first we both flat out said no to it. But it seems the more we look into it, the better it seems.

MRSF how many cycles have you had? The FS said he's goin to recommend 3 cycles for us on the NHS. But we're not really sure what '1 cycle' includes. Is that its just 1 egg? and if that doesnt work they'll try another 2 times?!

what's it like for the girl? is it really invasive getting the egg out and then puttin it back in?!

xxx

also, just found out the correct terms for hubbys prob: common low count, low motility and bad morphology.

feel like i'm getting more knowledgable now! :D x

Hmmm - I can't wait for you to get to the IVF clinic, I can't believe your FS wasn't very knowledgable about it, ICSI has been around for quite a while! (1991).

As the others have said ICSI is identical to IVF, other than the short period of time it takes the embryologist to inject the eggs.

It's a real bummer that even though the problem stems from your hubby, you are the one who has to go through this process, and he just need to do his business in a beaker! I'm assuming that your FS did the basic CD3 and CD21 tests on you? We were referred to the fertility clinic based on hubbies poor SA results, but it now turns out my eggs are as useless as his sperm!

Hello avenna, hope you dont mind me butting in!! we have had icsi twice on the nhs. You can get a varied amount of eggs retrieved from 1 cycle to the next depending on how well you respond to the stimming drugs, I had 23 eggs from 1 cycle and 24 from the next i responded quite well!!! From there they will inject all the healthy eggs with sperm and then wait till next day to see weather any properley fertilise, they then leave them to grow on for a few days and then it is time for egg transfer :happydance:. You may have a few eggs that are of good quality and you will get the option to freeze the rest, so that if the 1st transfer doesnt work you have some on ice so to speak ready to be put back and you wont need to go through all the injections again. However you may not have any to freeze like we didnt so therefore if it doesnt work you will have to start a fresh cycle. sorry for the mega long post, but thought i could help a little (i hope it has) good luck x

Hi

Just wanted to say lots of luck. We had ICSI and now have a very gorgeous 4 mnth old :cloud9:

xx

Hi Avenna,

ICSI is relatively new, being invented and successfully carried out since 1992. However, it is considered to be of the best chances for fertility statistically when compared to other methods if there is male fertility issues.

1 cycle means 1 try. The fertilised embryo is transfered back into you and you go through your 2 week wait to find out if you are pregnant. 3 tries means you get 3 chances at it to get pregnant.

The number of fertilised embryos transferable per cycle very much depends on where you live and the laws surrounding ICSI/IVF in your country and at your clinic.

My prayers and hopes are with you that you are blessed with a beautifyl baby :)

Thanks for all your replies. We're both feeling quite positive about it now. At first we were a bit wary of it and didn't really want to do it. Looking forward to getting over to the ivf clinic now and getting it all started! FS said it should be within the next 6 months and that we're lucky to have to only wait that! Xx

ICSI does sound daunting and I was feeling the same way you were when I heard the risks and I didn't want to do it at first. But, we did it, and we have a happy, beautiful, and most importantly, HEALTHY 6 month old! Good luck to you! :hugs:

Do you do anything special with your eating habbits, etc to prepare for this? I am so stinking nervous, I only have so much money and I am affraid of losing it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->