id love a huge cheer up.

iluvbump

Reaction score
this isnt related to TTC but i hope no ones annoyed by me posting this.. i just need to vent off..

My nan..
shes 86, had had alzheimers and dementia for 6 years... diagnosed with lung cancer last year...
She lives in a care home..
I decided i wanted to go to see her after a dream i had made me think its a sign i need to see her a little more often..I took my brother and he hasnt seen her in the 6 years shes been diagnosed as hes scared.. but i said rather he try see her before shes on a hospital bed or something so he agreed..

Last time i saw her about 2 months ago.. she still looked like my nan.. still knew who i was everything...
Today, the lady i saw just wasnt my nan :(
She used to have her hair all done up... now they dont bother.. its just straight and just... not how i know she would have her hair... her buttons on her top.. not all done up.. so i did them up..
But anyway.. when i went up to her and said hello nan, she stared at me blankly.. she said "who are you??"
I said "nan its me ... sarah... and its ben.. we are geraldines children" and she went ooooooh hello.
She started talking about her mum alot
she was saying things like "i better keep this newspaper my mum said she wants it after i read it"
she was talking bout my mum and aunties and uncles like they were children..
she just... wasnt my nan anymore..
shes lost alot of weight too.

I understand a lot about alzheimers and dementia so i understand its all getting to her now.
just hate seeing her like that :(

:hugs: I cant imagine what your going through hunni, lots of :hugs: your way.x

So sorry to hear this! My nanna had dementia and it gets very hard when they dont recognise you! Hugs to you x x

thanks girls.. its just such a horrible disease xxx

this isnt related to TTC but i hope no ones annoyed by me posting this.. i just need to vent off..

My nan..
shes 86, had had alzheimers and dementia for 6 years... diagnosed with lung cancer last year...
She lives in a care home..
I decided i wanted to go to see her after a dream i had made me think its a sign i need to see her a little more often..I took my brother and he hasnt seen her in the 6 years shes been diagnosed as hes scared.. but i said rather he try see her before shes on a hospital bed or something so he agreed..

Last time i saw her about 2 months ago.. she still looked like my nan.. still knew who i was everything...
Today, the lady i saw just wasnt my nan :(
She used to have her hair all done up... now they dont bother.. its just straight and just... not how i know she would have her hair... her buttons on her top.. not all done up.. so i did them up..
But anyway.. when i went up to her and said hello nan, she stared at me blankly.. she said "who are you??"
I said "nan its me ... sarah... and its ben.. we are geraldines children" and she went ooooooh hello.
She started talking about her mum alot
she was saying things like "i better keep this newspaper my mum said she wants it after i read it"
she was talking bout my mum and aunties and uncles like they were children..
she just... wasnt my nan anymore..
shes lost alot of weight too.

I understand a lot about alzheimers and dementia so i understand its all getting to her now.
just hate seeing her like that :(

hi want to send you a big hug , i work with dementia , and i know what u r going thro its a horrible disease my granda had it ,:hugs:

My grandfather who was like my best friend had Alzheimer's before he died and it was absolutely horrible watching him slip away year after year. I am sorry that your Nan is going through the same. Just try and focus on the good times you spent together and be there for her.

In the end, it isn't all of the sad moments after the diagnosis that I remember about my grandfather - it's the man he was all the years before it.

yeah i always remember things from when i was little up till now.. that are reasons why i feel like she is an amazing woman.

i got a tattoo for my granddad (her husband) who died when i was a baby.. cause i want him with me all the time.. i feel like he saved my life one time.. when she meets him on the other side.. she will be on my other shoulder.. forever till the day i see them together again x

Hun you should tell the care home how she had her hair, they should do it how she liked not what's easier for them.

Even though she might not be able to say it, she will appreciate having it in her own style.
I work with dementia, it's so sad when they regress like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->