ideas on how to convince DH to go cloth??

mummygiraffe

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
He really doesnt get it, keeps on about the hassle of washing.

He doesn't think we will cope with making sure the washing goes on and we'll end up nappyless.

He also ranted about 'stains/can't just fold it bin it etc'

I really want to go for it but I can see his points also, and I'm struggling to decide when it's 50/50.

help??

potty train easier
not so smelly/overflowing dustbin in summer
savings
never run out (as long as you remember to wash them :dohh:)
who does most of the changes anyway?

my OH had the same issues with washing them... I quickly pointed out that I do all the washing anyway so what does it matter to him if there is a couple of extra washes a week?

Do you do most the changes/washing? I've found the easiest way to move over with an OH that isn't/wasn't convinced to do it slowly, is that an option for you?

Say you'll do the changes and the washing. You'll probably do anyway if you're on mat leave! ;)

My OH wasn't really into them at first, moaning about the same thing but now he wouldn't use sposies :shrug: men are just funny. I used to say how would you feel with papery pants on, and there's less chemicals and they DO smell better than disposables plus they'll look lovely in the summer. We've never had a rash using cloth either :)

The clincher for my hubby has been cost saving.

Thanks ladies.

I don't think he's bothered about cost compared to hassle.

I am however. I lost my job at Xmas. So i'll be at home washing changing most of the time. i think he worries i wont be able to keep on top of it. Think me being ill the last 12 weeks almost useless hasnt helped.

we'll see....maybe some bedroom favours are in order-haha.

My OH thought it was just a fad and I just got on with it. After a few changes of the fancier nappies he started taking a bit of an interest, now he happily changes her, washes them and will put them all back together. I say stick at your guns and he'll soon come round! Also cloth is a lot less smelly than disposables though I think it's only when you go from cloth to sposie you realise just how much.

Does he normally do the washing, or is it like with my OH where he appears to believe that the washing machine is a magical beast that you need a degree in animal training to work?! I'd ask him how long he thinks it takes to put a load of washing on! It's not like you have to sit around waiting for them to wash, you just put them in and turn it on! For me, it's MUCH quicker to bung a load of nappies in the wash than it is to empty a nappy bin and take it out to the outside bins.

We've never had issues with stains. We've had the very occasional poo that leaves a yellow mark but it's still clean so doesn't matter if you leave it. If you want sparkly white nappies, a quick wipe with a Vanish bar does wonders.

I'd probably just do it and tell him if he wants to use disposables when he does nappy changes, fine. He can go out to the shop and buy them, he can deal with a stinky nappy bucket, the nappy rash and emptying the bins when they smell!

I'd probably just do it and tell him if he wants to use disposables when he does nappy changes, fine. He can go out to the shop and buy them, he can deal with a stinky nappy bucket, the nappy rash and emptying the bins when they smell![/QUOTE]

good one!

I havent started cloth yet (still waiting for babba!), but i'll share my theory!

If ur using disposables you: put them all in a nappy bin throughout the day. At the end of the day, trot downstairs n empty the nappy bin into the wheelie bin (which is outside... in the cold n rain!)

If ur using cloth you: still put them all in a nappy bin throughout the day. At the end of the day, trot downstairs n empty the nappy bin into the washing machine (without having to go out into the cold and rain!) n push a button.

This theory makes cloth sound easier than disposables- try him with it! lol!

Easy peasy to use
Less smell
Easy to wash and I don't see the hype in all the "FUSS" behind washing them, I love nappy washing day :D
Pretty nappies
No nappy rash *yet*
Cost effective if you dont buy loads you don't need *ahem*
Can sell them on after!

My DH thought I was nuts when I first mentioned cloth diapers. Things that really helped with him were telling him about the chemicals found in disposables and other facts mentioned already by others in the thread.

The biggest step was when he attended a cloth diaper workshop with me. He loved seeing the diapers first hand and the people running it addressed common questions like how big of a pain is washing and such. After the workshop he was converted and loves helping me pick them out, lol. I think having a third party address his concerns helped put them at ease way better than I would have been able to. Plus I learnt a ton too. :)

My OH just kind of tried them as i had them..he was hesitant and never overly keen

however since actually getting ones he likes (Bumgenius V3's) he's totally converted...he shows off our stash when people come over and he very proudly tells people we dont use disposables!!

Id suggest breaking him in with an easy nappy (prob velcro as OH's big fingers hates fiddly small poppers) simple, just a basic pocket like bumgenius and showing him how easy it is to just put the one piece on, just like a sposie....

he'l soon see how easy it is and love the health benefits of not having those toxic chemicals that sposies contain next to your precious little baby's bum!

I just went out and bought a whole heap of cloth nappies and told him we'd may as well use them now we've got them! :haha: He's a bit snap challenged but does a good job anyway. I do all the washing and organising of them - we both work fulltime and I don't find it a hard job at all. He's still a bit iffy of them though cuz his mummy told him he had bad nappy rash when she used cloth on him when he was a baby! :wacko:

I just went out and bought a whole heap of cloth nappies and told him we'd may as well use them now we've got them! :haha: He's a bit snap challenged but does a good job anyway. I do all the washing and organising of them - we both work fulltime and I don't find it a hard job at all. He's still a bit iffy of them though cuz his mummy told him he had bad nappy rash when she used cloth on him when he was a baby! :wacko:

Cant remember where i saw it, but there was a link on here bout sposies n the chemicals in them. n it said that some researchers found 7% of cloth nappied babies had nappy rash.... and 67% of disposable nappied babies had nappy rash!!!!! How crazy is that?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->