If baby is breech, when would they schedule a c-section..

Ann-Marie

I adore my 3 children !!!
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, as Mia is still very much breech !!

With my last pregnancy, my waters broke on the 26th Dec... I was due on the 2nd Jan... so do they go with when your earliest labour is, and then go a bit before.

I really don't want to have her in August :(

Also, my eldest, Lewis, starts year 2 on the 3rd Sept, and Ethan starts Nursery on the 8th.. and I really need to take them for their first days !!! :hissy:

Any ideas.... I wouldn't mind if they did it on the 10th onwards... but will they leave it that late with a breech..???

I don't really know but i wouldn't imagine they will let you go to full term.

Get that bum in the air and turn this girl around.

They usually schedule a c section for breech reason at 39 weeks

Hope that helps

Every place is different. But a couple of factors: one- though rare, some mw's will deliver a breech baby, in which case they don't schedule a c-sec. Also, you have some choice. Babies have been known to flip into proper position when labor starts, so you can request not to schedule a c-sec and just go in at the first signs of contractions and if she doesn't flip, they can do a c-sec at that time. Also, some docs do cephalic aversions (where they manually flip baby) and this is also usually done once labor starts and baby hasn't flipped on her own. So they should discuss with you what your choice is in terms of scheduling it if they prefer to do that- but don't feel like you HAVE to schedule it before the due date if you are not comfortable- they can always schedule it later and if you go into labor before reaching the date they can go ahead and do it at that time.

i had all my 3 my c sections at exactlly 39 weeks . violet xx

i've been told my baby is breech and i have to have a scan at 37weeks and if baby is breech they will book u in for a c-section

I have my 34 week appointment on Monday, and I know that's when they really start to monitor the babes position from.

I know they can manually turn the baby... I daren't google it, but surely this must cause the baby some distress, to be forced to move in such a small place !! What if they poo in the womb or get tangled up in the cord... probably sounds silly, but I don't know :confused:

Hi Anne-Marie,

I was worried that my LO was breech for a few weeks as nobody could tell me the position she was in at 34 and 36wk appointments! My GP sent me to the JR to the ECV (External Cephalic Version) clinic on a Tuesday. Apparently at this they do a scan to check for breech and then use the ultrasound to guide them as they try to turn the baby. Luckily my baby was head down, so I didn't have to have an ECV. I met a lady in the waiting room though that, was 37.5 weeks and was there for a second ECV (turning) attempt. If that didn't work I think she was booked in for a C-section a week or so later!

I read a lot about ECV before going and there is a small chance of distress to the fetus, but I think both Breech birth and C-sections are more dangerous from what I can tell. I was also told that Dr Edward Impey and his Midwife have an excellent reputation and have a success rate of 70-80% in turning breech babies.

As it's not your first, the baby is more able to turn later I think, but you will probabky be offered a scan around 36wks and an ECV around 37wks!

:hug::hug::hug:

Thanks for the info Becky, that was great !!

I really do think she's stuck there, I can feel a huge hard lump when her head pushes up at my ribs, it's so sore. I'm half tempted to give her really hard prods to try and make her move that way :lol:

Hey hun

try not to worry too much at teh moment (easier said than done am sure!)

Becky is absolutely spot on - I was going to say the same as we had our first antenatal class last week and that question came up. The mid wife said that they don't usually worry about baby being breech until 36/37 weeks and then would book you in for a scan and an obstetrician if you are still presenting as breech and they will try and turn baby during the ultrasound. I asked what the chances were of turning and she seemed pretty confident that in most cases they can turn them but also babies can turn at the last minute anyhow just to keep us all on our toes!!

I was breech until about 24 weeks and thankfully LO turned to hammock and now head down but it feels like is moving all the time so who knows what LO will present next appointment!

good luck sweets am sure little mia will turn for you she is just being obstenant female !!

Honey, Mia still has time to turn herself around. Mine was breech up until last week and the gynecologist said that she things he's turned himself the other way. And it feels like he has.

However, not sure if baby is breech until the end when they would schedule a C-section.

I feel your pain hon. After I get out of the hospital I have three days at home before bringing my kids back to school on September 2nd. Going to be tough.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"