If you have had an elective c-section in the UK. . .

misshopefull

Reaction score
Please can you tell me about your experience :flower:

I am having a c-section on the 12th April but I'm not sure what to expect. I had an emergency c-section with DS so I know what happens once your in theatre so its the before details I want.

Like: What time did you have to get to the hospital? What time did you have to stop eating and drinking? When do they do the spinal, etc, is it just before they do the section? Do they numb your back first?

Sorry for loads of questions but just want to know as much as possible about what happens before the baby is delivered.

Thank you :flower:

sorry cant help but was wondering were you automaticly offered a section because of previous emergency one or did you have to ask ive just found out im 8 weeks pregnant and ended up with emergency section with son now 3 and was hoping i might get offered section because of last time.
x

Hi Misshopeful,

With my last section I was booked in for 8am in the morning, there was a couple of us told to come in at the same time. Once there we were taken in to a room and asked to change into a hospital gown and laid down on one of the beds and they would come in and get us when ready, as the other lady got there first she was taken in first, then there was an emergency cs. After approx 2 hours I was taken in for my epidural and to meet all the clinical team whilst my husband was given his scrubs to put on.

Niah was born at 11.20am and after having the cord cut I was allowed skin on skin immediately which was fantastic!!

If I remember correctly I had to stop eating 12 hrs before (so 8pm).

Any more questions ask away I will try to answer if I remember.........x

sorry cant help but was wondering were you automaticly offered a section because of previous emergency one or did you have to ask ive just found out im 8 weeks pregnant and ended up with emergency section with son now 3 and was hoping i might get offered section because of last time.
x

Congratulations :flower:

Yes I was told at my first appointment with the midwife that because I had already had a c-section I had the choice.

If I had opted for a VBAC they would have let me go until I was 41 weeks then I would of been booked in for a c-section at 41 weeks if I had not gone into labour.

I saw the consultant around 20 weeks pregnant and he said if I changed my mind about the c-section to go back at 40 weeks and he would check me again. There was a lot of pressure to try VBAC but I was happy with my decision.

I saw the midwife yesterday and she the thinks the baby is breech anyway!

:flower:

I've just posted my section birth story in the birth stories section.

hey there i had my c section on the 14th of march it was an elective section due to previous tramatic birth... i went into hospital at 8 in the morning and was brought o a bed to get changed into a gown the midwife came and aske d me questions and took blood pressure and then the anethatist came to tell me what he would be doing he put the iv needle in my hand first and the talked to me about the epidural they numb the area where the epi goes in before they put the epi in... then the surgon camr to talk to me to let me know what was going to happen.. they go through all the pros and cons before hand... then at 9 o clock i was in theatre getting reay for epi.. it all happened really fast and there was alot of people there taling to me and making me feel comfortable it was great... i had my c section in ninewells hospital dundee and to be honest they were fantastic i could not fault them... i could not feel anything as they took my son out but when they were doing the placenta it hurt on my right hand side.. as i was having tubel ligation aswell and was feeling alot of pain they put me to sleep and an hour later i woke and it was all done... you will do great hin it is over before you know it and it was the best choice i have ever made

hey there i had my c section on the 14th of march it was an elective section due to previous tramatic birth... i went into hospital at 8 in the morning and was brought o a bed to get changed into a gown the midwife came and aske d me questions and took blood pressure and then the anethatist came to tell me what he would be doing he put the iv needle in my hand first and the talked to me about the epidural they numb the area where the epi goes in before they put the epi in... then the surgon camr to talk to me to let me know what was going to happen.. they go through all the pros and cons before hand... then at 9 o clock i was in theatre getting reay for epi.. it all happened really fast and there was alot of people there taling to me and making me feel comfortable it was great... i had my c section in ninewells hospital dundee and to be honest they were fantastic i could not fault them... i could not feel anything as they took my son out but when they were doing the placenta it hurt on my right hand side.. as i was having tubel ligation aswell and was feeling alot of pain they put me to sleep and an hour later i woke and it was all done... you will do great hin it is over before you know it and it was the best choice i have ever made

I was Ninewells as well :thumbup:

I think some hospitals like you to get to the hospital for about 7.30am-8am, you get booked in with wrist bands and various pieces of paperwork, you see your surgeon who does your consent and anesthetist who talks things through with you.
For a morning slot you can't east after midnight and can have a sip of water 2 hours before you go in then nothing, The spinal is done in theatre they numb your back before the injection and make sure your numb before they paint your tummy, then your OH is allowed to join you in theatre

Hi,

I had an emergency c section in 2004, after which I had 2 vbacs.

I am also booked for a section on 12th April! Counting down the days!

I was offered a tour of the hospitals theatre and recovery room which are especially for electives and different to where the emergency sections are performed.
I must say it was scary but great to see where I will actually be going on the day. My only dread now is going into labour before the 12th! I forgot to mention that I'm having a section due to 2 previous traumatic births.

Good luck and hopefully we both can welcome our babies on the 12th!!

Hi

I had to take pre meds the night before. In hospital by 10am nil by mouth all day. Sat there till 1pm then signed papers, stockings on and walked to theater at 2. Spinal block done, i dont remember if it hurt as the whole day was a massive blur. I do know it all happen really quick, baby was born at 2:15.

Back on ward by 4

Hey I had my section 6 months ago...

I was told not to eat from 12 the night before and only to drink water.
We had to be at the hospital at 8am, but me being me, we were there at 7.30.We were put into a private room had to go over the paperwork and I had to give a urine sample.

We ended up in the room for about 4 hours ish. The surgeons and thier team came and introduced them selves, as well as my midwife, the anesthiesist (sp) came and explained everything, then the doctor came in to speak to me. I had one final scan to check dd was still breech then I was told they would let me know when they were ready for me.

Finally they brought my gown and hubbys scrubs through and told us they were ready. I had to put socks (cant remember the name) on to stop blood clots then they walked us to a little room where the aneastesist waited. I had to sit on the bed facing out sideways with my feet on hubbys knees. They numbed the bottom of my back then did the spinal. I couldnt move my legs so they mived me and lay me back on the bad. Then they sprayed my hands/arms/legs with really cold water. To check I couldnt feel anything, then they wheeled us through...and our life changed :) xx

I had an emergency c section in 2010 then chose to have an elective section in February this year with my dd2.

It was by far the best decision I made. I had a fantastic experience. I had to be in hospital for 9.30am and had to stop eating at midnight the night before. I had to take a ranitidine (sp) tablet that night then one in the morning before I went into hospital. I was given those tablets at my pre op appointment.

Once in hospital I had my wrist band put on and then the consultant went through my consent forms again as I'd already signed them at my pre op appointment the day before. He checked that all my details were correct and that the details on my wrist band were correct etc.

We were then taken upto a private room and I was told to put my gown on and they took my husband to put on some scrubs. The anethatist came in to speak to me to just run through the forms again and to confirmi had no know allergies and to answer any questions. I had been told I was booked in for my section at 3pm but at 10.45am we were walked into theatre. My husband was with me the entire time and sat in front of me while they put the iv in my hand and did the spinal. They numb your back first, they sprayed a really cold spray first which cleans the area and makes it sterile then I had the numbing injection which stung a bit but then I didn't feel the spinal. To have all that done I was sat on the edge of the operating table with my feet on a stool in front of me, i was told to keep my feet together, let my knees flop apart and relax my shoulders. My husband held my hand throughout that and I had a midwife and a lovely nurse chatting to me too. Then I led back on the operating table and they tilted it to the left. The curtain was put up instantly. From laying down on the table it was only 5 minutes or so before my daughter was born.

Also it's a bit different than an emergency as obviously it's all planned so if you want to take a camera into theatre then you can, we have some amazing photos of my daughter still attached by the cord to me being held up by the surgeon.

It was a totally different experience to my emergency c section even though I had a good experience then too. I loved my c section this time, it was so relaxed and calm.

Good luck!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"