If you were a victim of violent crime.

My partner was a victum of voilant crime more than once.. Last time it was by some young ones who broke his leg only thing was since two where too young for court and accomplaces, also female they went to youth thingy and they set up meetings face to face. Parents of the girls where there to. Parents where laughing at my partner disturbing what pain he went through , how he couldn't go for walks with his kid and the depression,. The fact I was pregnant too. This was to keep them out of more trouble. Same girls who came just before the meeting and vandalised all our kids stuff in the garden so next meeting was set up for other sister and we declined. Let them take the punishment. The other guy had it thrown at him in court and that was the second time he attacked my other half leaving him with permanent injuries. I dont think its good if they arnt taking it seriously and mocking the victims. And especially if they re offend. I have little sympathy for them.

If you had the choice to send them to prison or confront them face to face and accept an apology which would you choose?

Just watching the wright show, a lady chose the latter. She said it was like a therapy for her being able to tell the perpetrator how he made her feel.

Would you be happy that they don't get 'punishment' by being locked up? Is it a good thing letting the victims have control over this sort of thing?

I have been the victim of a violent crime. I would send them to prison, still.

I really don't think those particular justice systems are quite getting it right. The "apology" should not reduce the sentence at all. Both parties should want to do it after having help dealing with their emotions and being sure that this would be something that would help them understand, repent/forgive, and be able to learn/heal from the incident and move on wiser and healthier.
Dragonfly, are you saying that court/prison officials witnessed this behaviour of the criminal's family laughing at the victim during the "apology" and still allowed those girls to get off with lighter or no sentences? That is mindblowing. :shock:

I really don't think those particular justice systems are quite getting it right. The "apology" should not reduce the sentence at all. Both parties should want to do it after having help dealing with their emotions and being sure that this would be something that would help them understand, repent/forgive, and be able to learn/heal from the incident and move on wiser and healthier.
Dragonfly, are you saying that court/prison officials witnessed this behaviour of the criminal's family laughing at the victim during the "apology" and still allowed those girls to get off with lighter or no sentences? That is mindblowing. :shock:

The program the court sent the girls to was called yoith justice NI, rthey where ordered to go for counselling and help and one of the things was they offered was to meet the victums. If she didnt go through with it or messed it up it went back to the public prosecution. The councillors witnessed the mum laughing and making faces when my partner said how she vandalised our kids stuff in the garden, She used the excise she didnt know we lived there. Which was bull you have to walk a few mile out of town to my house and cross over a big gate to get in. See to get off they admitted taking part in assault . The other guy was given a years suspended sentence and a fine. And that was for tearing my partners part of ear off in front of a camera while he was with my son who was 3 at the time. And the threatened to smash the car windows around my son if he didnt get out of the car. His disabled bro in a wheel chair was also with him. Same fella who broke his leg previously. Bad family in the area always being lifted by police and fighting.My partner has to go for another op to get plates and pins taken out of his leg and hasnt walked right since.

I think it depends on the sort of crime it was, a one off random thing would be different to me than say what a friend experienced earlier this year. He is a man in his 50's and after a football match he was set upon by eight men in their late teens, twenties and one thirty-two year old. Witnesses say it was unprovoked, it just happened to be that he supported the opposite team. He ended up with a broken jaw, missing teeth, head injuries and some degree of memory loss, a few broken bones in his arms and legs too. He needs his jaw realign and all sorts.

In a case like that an apology would never be enough for me but I think there are situations where it would be.

I was a paramedic and had a patient shoot at me. She actually has us pinned with no way to escape until police officers arrived something like seven minutes later. The longest seven minutes of my life.

She was sentenced to ten years, but the judge suspended it on the condition that she complete intensive rehab and therapy. I was fine with that. She was on drugs at the time, and I would rather she clean up her life then spend time in jail. I never got an apology from her, but at the scene I talked to her husband. He was devastated, and I have never felt so sorry for anyone in my entire life.

I might feel differently if I knew the person.

I think they should absolutely get locked up - I don't feel the victim should be given that decision because there is no saying that the perpetrator wouldn't strike again.

I'd demand both given the choice, a severe custodial sentence and answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->