I'm a party pooper-not really looking forward to Christmas :-(

jakemybaby

Reaction score
Any one else or am I the only humbug here:haha:

Totally appreciate we are lucky to have family on both sides who want us around for Xmas, but I soooo wish we could stay at home as our own little family this year. Hell I've even offered to cook here at home for who ever wants to come... But that's not tradition apparently:dohh:

The current arrangement is us going alternate years to either side of the family. This year is the 2 hour drive to the inlaws... And I sooo don't want to go!

Anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas how to break this cycle without upsetting our families... Or just tell me I'm a Scrooge and suck it up... I guess it's only one day of the year.......

I'm looking forward to Christmas with MY family. (Me, OH & LO) Not so much looking forward to driving around to everyone elses houses either.

I think it's time we start our own damn traditions! :haha:

I'm lucky as when I left home my mums one piece of advice was not to habitually go to one or alternate parents for Christmas as she did and felt just the way you describe about it. It put my inlaws nose out a bit when we told them we won't be making a habit of spending Xmas but I'm looking forward to Xmas at home with my little family.
I think it's a hard cycle to break but I would advise telling your family how you feel. It may upset them a little but it will probably be even harder to break the cycle a few more years down the line.
Not an easy answer I'm afraid

I honestly think you should put your foot down & stay at home!! Theres no way I'd drive 2 hours to the inlaws on xmas day - hell would freeze over first :haha: I think its pretty unfair on you :( xmas day is about family but its also about relaxing with your LO x

I think once you have your own family you are totally within your rights to say you'd like to stay at home and if people want to spend it with you they can come to you!

We are making the 3 hour trip this year to go to the MIL's as in the 10yrs me and oh has been together we've never been as we've always been to my mums but next year I plan to say at home!

:hugs:I swear Christmas is the most stressful time of the year! I'm lucky in the sense that OH's family are abroad so we don't have to worry about offending one side of the family and I've always spent Christmas with my family so it would seem weird not to now, I'm just stressing about taking LO by myself 300 miles on the train to stay with them as OH is working right up until Xmas eve so he will join us then :wacko:

I guess it's a bit late to cancel your plans without offending anyone (unless you feel really strongly about it) but maybe going forward you could spend every third Christmas at home? Hope you work something out :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->