I'm a vegetarian... and just ate a BLT

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by LisK, Nov 15, 2011.

1. LisK

LisK Well-Known Member

Crazy pregnancy cravings! I have been a vegetarian for more than 15 years... but this afternoon I got the strongest craving for BACON and just had to satisfy it... so I ate a BLT. And it was delicious!!!

Pregnancy is so bizarre. Anyone else eating weird things?

2. pixydust

pixydust Married mama of two :D

My weirdest craving has been for green olives, which i dont normally like much, but I went through about 8 jars between weeks 17-19, it's faded now though x

3. erikab922

erikab922 Well-Known Member

Dairy! I'm lactose intolerant and drink oat milk and generally stay away from dairy products, but in the past few weeks I have found I can eat dairy with no side effects whatsoever. Hello cheese! Hello ice cream! I can even drink a glass of milk now, never thought I'd be able to do that.

4. Kristin52

Kristin52 Well-Known Member

mmmmmm BLT. sounds soooo good.
    and I was craving ice cream and scrambled eggs with ham mixed in with it and hot sauce.
    haven't had either of those for awhile though.

..now I want some chocolate chip cookies.

5. Skadi

Skadi Well-Known Member

I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat pork... and I've been craving bacon like crazy. I think it has to do with the salt so whenever I crave it, I just eat something else like salted peanuts and it goes away.

6. Tigerlilyb

Tigerlilyb Mum of one each

I'm a vegetarian too and the smell of my OH's meaty pizzas drives me crazy, it smells so good! And I really want frankfurters or bacon with eggs. Usually just the idea of meat would make my stomach churn.

7. Wantingbbbump

Wantingbbbump Airyonna is here 4/2/2012

I crave chips dipped in mayo..I can't get enough of it..lol

8. xPH03N1Xx

xPH03N1Xx Well-Known Member

I'm the total opposite... I've always loved my meat and loved nothing more than a juicy steak or a nice pork roast... But since being pregnant I don't want meat at all.... I'm seriously considering going vegetarian after the baby is born, or even now and just taking vitamin C so my body can absorb more iron. It wouldn't bother me right now if I never saw another steak... It's really strange what pregnancy does to you. I've also become a broccoli addict, I have to eat it every day and I hated it before lol

9. MrsSaraKate

MrsSaraKate Well-Known Member

I'm also vegetarian. I have been craving a turkey sandwich like crazy!

10. mamaduke

mamaduke Proud Mama

I'm with you on this. Pre-pregnancy, I was lactose intolerant to the point that Lactaid would help a little but not enough for me to justify cheating and eating ice cream or cheese. Now, I can eat them without the lactose intolerant pains. This LO likes string cheese, puddings, chocolate milk... so it's good that I can handle the dairy at the moment. :)

11. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Well-Known Member

Celery. I used to HATE celery. Now I love it with some peanut butter.

12. jenn2282

jenn2282 mom to Arianna

i'm not a bacon eater but this kid loves it. so i have a bacon and tomato sandwich like 3 times a week and thats me cutting it back haha.

13. bababel

bababel Well-Known Member

I've been eating BLTs like crazy! Bacon tastes extra good when you're preggers.

14. MommaCC

MommaCC Well-Known Member

That's really funny although I'm not vegi I woke up from a nap on a long 250 mile journey last night and had to make my husband stop to buy me a bLT!! So this made me feel less of a mad piggy lol! XxxxX

15. Maviyildiz

Maviyildiz Well-Known Member

Wow, did the BLT upset your stomach? I have heard that if you are a complete vegetarian pork can be hard to digest if you haven't had it in a long time. Maybe that is just a myth!

I would LOVE a BLT but I don't eat pork. Unfortunately, here all the turkey and veggie bacons have scary chemicals in them that I try to avoid, especially while preggo. Organic nitrate free pork bacon would be healthier, but I can't bring myself to do it!

16. erikab922

erikab922 Well-Known Member

Totally forgot about string cheese, nice one! Will have to get some of those. Really wishing I was back home now so I could drive to Wisconsin and hit all the cheese chalets!

17. Angharad87

Angharad87 Expecting no.1

I'm normally the opposite. I love meat. But since being pregnant unless the meat is mixed in with a sauce/other food (eg curry, stew or broth) I can't eat it!

18. smileygurl85

smileygurl85 Well-Known Member

I've never liked citrus it was always too 'tangy' for me but nowadays I just can't seem to get enough. Grapefruits, oranges, sweeties, pomelos... It's crazy!

I'm also another one of those 'usually' lactose-intolerant people - but Jellybean loves hot-cocoa, chocolate-pudding and cheese - and my stomach has been tolerating it fairly well so I'm enjoying while I can!

19. babyv_s2012

babyv_s2012 1st little princess

omg i want some bacon now! Smoothered in tomato ketchup and on a toasted bagel.....mmmmmmmm
    My craving is pickled onions- i normally cant stand vingear but cant get enough

20. MommyJaan

MommyJaan Well-Known Member

I was a meatarian, but cant stand meat now.... Well atleast till about a week ago.