I'm craving sand, were can i buy some that is safe to eat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like some of the other girls have said, please call your doc or midwife. It's not normal and not safe for you to eat!

sand is made from stone / rock that has been beated by the sea so much and so long it get's smaller and smaller. glass is made from sand, sand is not made from glass, doh
but on a serious not i do think it must be something u r lacking, if u have such strong cravings maybe call nhs direct and explain to them and maybe there is something they reccommend u need to take to make the craving go away.....like ratwife said, it's important u tell someone xxx

:haha: u made me smile... soil! sand! do u give birth to a plant hehe :flower:

I'm not sure about humans but I know in dogs and horses it causes acute colic and gastric torsions and can be fatal extremely quickly so I definately wouldn't advise eating any sort of sand. I would definately tell your doctor or midwfe though. :thumbup:

Dont sit around til Wednesday...you almost certainly have a deficiency in something, if you are craving "rock" (sand) then its likely to be an important mineral and you shoul not delay even a DAY in getting advise.
I would, infact, be ringing your local hospital and going in to have some tests run today as that sort of severe craving would suggest the problem is bad and needs immediate attention.

Meet your mate, I have had a very similar craving rite the way through, I told my midwife she said it was nothing to worry about.

It is more the texture of the grittyness between my teeth that eating it in spoonfulls, dnt know about you though,

I have a extra strong mints and a lot of them because they give a similar gritty texture but they are no real substitute for me wanting and to crunch on.

wow that is a wierd craving lol. I agree dont eat it! But call your MW. Hope sherbert helps

Sounds like you have pica, get yourself to the midwife asap hun and for god sake dont go to the ELC and buy sand to eat, its dangerous for you and the baby x x x

I agree with Eternal Rose, this sounds like pica. I would let your midwife know ASAP and definitley don't go and eat sand!

Hmmm defo dont eat sand please. How about buying some tablet to eat, when it melts in your mouth the texture reminds me of sand x x

can you not just have sherbert - the crystal stuff.

oh I cant bare thinking about someone eating sand, its making me feel queezy - please dont do it lol

x

a sudden onset of a craving which started just this morning would not be considered pica.

I know someone who used to eat sponges. She was bathing her son one day and thought 'mmm that looks nice' lol So she ate them while she was pregnant. Makes me heave just thinking about it.

I just looked on a medical website..

"There are only two signs of pica: cravings for non-food substances and eating non-food substances. "

So it doesnt really matter whether she has eaten the sand yet or not, the fact that she is craving it means she has it.

I dont know, I have never craved non-food substances in my pregnancy. :shrug:

I just looked on a medical website..

"There are only two signs of pica: cravings for non-food substances and eating non-food substances. "

So it doesnt really matter whether she has eaten the sand yet or not, the fact that she is craving it means she has it.

I dont know, I have never craved non-food substances in my pregnancy. :shrug:

yes but its not considered to be pica after a one off craving - if it was for a longer length of time then yes but given that it was just this morning does not point to it being this condition, if she had said she had felt like it for days or weeks then yes, i agree so I guess time will tell.

In the meantime op just contact your midwife if you feel you wont be able to avoid eating it - obviously not a good idea x

this has mad me giggle lol.
i havent had a craving as such but i am majorly addicted to bleachin things, its got to be citrus bleach, before i use the toilet i'll bleach it, before i have a bath (which is 4/5 times a day) i bleach it, usin the sink, i bleach it!
mums banned me from buyin anymore bleach and got me some citrus cleaning cream which is somehting like 86p from wilkinsons and i swear its the nicest smell i have ever smelt.
ive had urges to drink it but i dont think i could actually bring myself to do it.

i know many pregnant women go through a 'nesting' period but i was never a clean freek before infact i was the total opposite. at first i though it was like ocd or something and i was turnin into a full blown mad woman but when i thhink about it its not even the thought of things bein clean as such its just i loveeeee the smell.

maybe the citrus thing is sayin im lackin them, but my heartburn is that bad i darent eat any acidic fruits.

i just hope u havent indulged yourself with sand haha! and hope the sherbert helps! x

sounds like Pica..and you could have a nutritional deficiency...so you might want to see your midwife..eating sand isnt good for you..plus it will ruin your teeth enamel..and sand for LO isnt good

Sure is strange :haha: bless you
iv heard mostly people becoming addicted to ice cubes and sucking flannels/sponges not many really odd things.. like someone said something about play-doh i LOVE the smell of it through my pregnancy :wacko: lol but the thought of eating it makes me heave lol just imagine it how it takes :sick: lol! But as everyone else has said best thing looks like to get in touch with you MW soon as possible dont eat no sand! :hugs:
xx

I know that you shouldn't put sand in with snakes and lizards etc because when they accidently eat it the sand causes impaction in their intestines and can kill them. Obviously we are a lot bigger than lizards, but imagine our bodies also can't digest rock so it could cause serious problems to your insides. Hope your craving goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"