I'm craving sand, were can i buy some that is safe to eat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a condition called PICA. very dangerous to eat what you're craving. call your doc and he'll put you on diff vitamins... or vice versa.

Hi ladies, sorry to hi-jack but i am kind of in the same situation. I have really tried hard not to tell anyone as i feel that people wouldn't believe/understand me. I am craving chipboard wood and shoe polish. So much so that the other day my mouth was watering at the though of the polish in the cupboard. Fortunately i found that if i got an old duster and put some on that the smell was enough for me. Even writing this is making me have to go and get the cloth. I was worried about it being toxic but checked on the tin and there was no warning etc. I never knew that it could mean something!

oh wow. Im sorry, that sucks hun.
I would mention to your MW .....

Hi ladies, sorry to hi-jack but i am kind of in the same situation. I have really tried hard not to tell anyone as i feel that people wouldn't believe/understand me. I am craving chipboard wood and shoe polish. So much so that the other day my mouth was watering at the though of the polish in the cupboard. Fortunately i found that if i got an old duster and put some on that the smell was enough for me. Even writing this is making me have to go and get the cloth. I was worried about it being toxic but checked on the tin and there was no warning etc. I never knew that it could mean something!

You might be missing something in your diet... talk to your doctor.

I wouldn't eat sand, it doesn't sound safe (it will probably sit in your stomach and give you a tummy ache, not to mention buggering up your teeth!). Cravings tend to come about because your body is craving something it needs. Could it be that you're short of a certain mineral? Are you taking a antenatal supplement. I'd contact a doctor and ask their advice, they may also have an idea about what mineral it might be that you're lacking in.
Alternatively, would smelling sand from the beach satisfy your craving? Maybe it's the smell of the sea you want.

https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_eating_sand_bad_for_you

I know that you shouldn't put sand in with snakes and lizards etc because when they accidently eat it the sand causes impaction in their intestines and can kill them. Obviously we are a lot bigger than lizards, but imagine our bodies also can't digest rock so it could cause serious problems to your insides. Hope your craving goes!

It messes horses up too, giving them sand colic. And a horse would only eat sand if it was starving or lacking in minerals. Apparently it's likely to be iron.

Thought I was the only one!

Im craving sand and chalk..just the gritty feeling..
I was walking into the grocery store, saw sand and rock outside the store, and thought man that looks so good! ?????

I have eaten chalk, I would just break off pieces and rub it accross my teeth.
My doctor said it was an iron dificiency and that the chalk wasnt neccassarily bad for me but that it had no nutrients so it was not good to eat.

Here in the US they have packages of dirt you can buy that is edible but its deep in the south..very very rural or country areas.

I have been mixing kool aid packages with sugar and that helps alot.

YOU ARENT ALONE!

Thought I was the only one!

Im craving sand and chalk..just the gritty feeling..
I was walking into the grocery store, saw sand and rock outside the store, and thought man that looks so good! ?????

I have eaten chalk, I would just break off pieces and rub it accross my teeth.
My doctor said it was an iron dificiency and that the chalk wasnt neccassarily bad for me but that it had no nutrients so it was not good to eat.

Here in the US they have packages of dirt you can buy that is edible but its deep in the south..very very rural or country areas.

I have been mixing kool aid packages with sugar and that helps alot.

YOU ARENT ALONE!

One of my teachers in HS ate chalk. He would be using it to write on the board and would literally just break off a piece and pop it in his mouth when he thought no one was looking. But chalk honestly isn't harmful.

Kool-aid! I want some soooooooooo bad! But it has way too much sugar in it and the sugar free stuff is nasty! :cry:

..this is the most brilliant thing i've ever heard in my life so far,

I thought I was odd craving wet sponges! But sand.......wow! :) xxx

Ok sweetie..Yeah..you need to mention this to your doc..Are you taking some good vitamins? I would hope that with the twins, you have a great diet..But, even so, it's really tough to get all we need..I know..believe me! Don't let this go!

This was taken from the American Pregnancy.org website:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/unusualcravingspica.html

Pica- is the practice of craving substances with little or no nutritional value. Most pica cravings involve non-food substances such as dirt or chalk. The word pica is Latin for magpie which is a bird notorious for eating almost anything.

It is true that the majority of women will experience cravings during pregnancy; however, most of these cravings are for things like pickles and ice cream. Pica cravings are most commonly seen in children and occur in approximately 25-30% of all children; pica cravings in pregnant women are even less common.

What causes pica during pregnancy?
The reason that some women develop pica cravings during pregnancy is not known for certain. There is currently no identified cause; however, according to the Journal of American Dietetic Association there may be a connection to an iron deficiency.

Some speculate that pica cravings are the body's attempt to obtain vitamins or minerals that are missing through normal food consumption. Sometimes pica cravings may be related to an underlying physical or mental illness.

What are typical pica cravings during pregnancy?
The most common substances craved during pregnancy are dirt, clay, and laundry starch. Other pica cravings include: burnt matches, stones, charcoal, mothballs, ice, cornstarch, toothpaste, soap, sand, plaster, coffee grounds, baking soda, and cigarette ashes.

Are pica cravings harmful to the baby?
Eating non-food substances is potentially harmful to both you and your baby. Eating non-food substances may interfere with the nutrient absorption of healthy food substances and actually cause a deficiency. Pica cravings are also a concern because non-food items may contain toxic or parasitic ingredients.

What can you do if you have pica cravings?
Don't panic; it happens and is not abnormal. The most important thing is to inform your health care provider to make sure you have a complete understanding of the specific risks associated with your cravings. Here are some suggestions to help you deal with pica cravings:

Inform your health care provider and review your prenatal health records
Monitor your iron status along with other vitamin and mineral intake
Consider potential substitutes for the cravings such as chewing sugarless gum
Inform a friend of your craving who can help you avoid non-food items
Last Updated: 03/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compiled using information from the following sources:

Mayo Clinic Guide To A Healthy Pregnancy Harms, Roger W., M.D., et al, Part 3.

American Dietetic Association, https://www.eatright.org/

American Academy of Family Physicians, https://familydoctor.org/

This is Pica, as i see others have mentioned. I would call your dr. and please do not eat sand!

What Angellicaa has posted is spot on. And since you've already downed some dirt before, I think you said in pregnancy too, this is a long thread to read:haha:, its going to probably be pica, its not only sand but clay and soil too, and its caused by an iron deficiency and being pregnant that would make sense! Hopefully you wont eat the sand, bear in mind if you do go source some sand pit stuff its been heavily treated with chemicals, bleached and sanitized and its full of silica and sodium so its by no means harmless!

I'm no doctor but this can't be good! I think I would definitely be ringing up the Dr before going out and chowing down on some sand!

And wannaB, I swear I'm not stalking you, but apparently you have the same interest in thread titles as me! lol

Eat some spinach! Dark leafy green vegetables contain lots of iron.

i dont think you should eat sand babe, you will just have to get over it.

Thanks ladies,

1. I'm soooo pleased i'm not the only one craving crazy "non-food" items. Thanks for being honest about yr crazy cravings!!
2. I've never heard of pica and that information was really helpful as i had low iron in my last pregnancy and to be honest my iron has not been cheecked since my first blood test at 14 week pregs and i'm now 30 weeks (and feeling really tired), so it must be.
3. After readin the posts i did not indulge, tried food alternatives but not quite the same.
4. Rang midwife who laughed said don't eat it but to tell midwife on wednesday and eat more greeny veg in meantime.

im so glad u didn't eat it :) im suprised they laughed at u tho?! it's quite serious but yes lot's of green veg till monday :)
well done for being so honest tho
xxxx

Well done for not eating it. Not very nice of the MW to just laugh at you though :hugs: xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"