Im desperate I Need advise from people who have a child with ASD or ADHD please

I work at a school for children with a range of social skills disabilities, ADHD is often the most channlenging particularly when mixing children with ADHD with children with autism

It's difficult and I think different things will work with different childen, when I've worked with children with ADHD I've always been taught the importance of "I" messages. IE not telling them how awful what they're doing is, but asking them how they think it makes you and others feel, and if they think this is a good or bad thing.

Also I've aways been taught that small rewards work better than punishments, but rewards need to be earnt, and there needs to be clear visal signs of how they can earn the rewards, experiment with differnt thing. Like stickers or a star chart that can be carried around. If a certain task is completed, or a behaviour standard is met by a certain time they get a sticker, if they have however many stickers by the end of a period they get there reward.

Also keepiong them focused with competition, if you need them to go somewhere race there, if you need the to do something who can do it first, that kind of thing.

I can't say these things always succesful, or that they last indefinatly, but i think its worth a try, good luck!

I only read the first page so pardon me if I repeate anything.

I have a 3 year old with ADHD. He throws tantrums for no reason sometimes and they are a whopper of a tantrum. He is a lot like your son, but not as much, probably because he's younger.

What helps us is having an all organic diet. Artificial foods seem to make his ADHD flare. Also being in programs helps too. We do Awana, martial arts, library day, and this summer for his birthday he'll be taking guitar lessons. These are things he's interested in, and if your son has interests like sports or music you should get him into some programs. Also, the martial arts is a program specifically for ADHD children, so maybe you could see if you have one near you. It has helped a lot. He can be more focused and does tantrums a lot less. He has also been listening better too. For awhile there he was VERY out of control, it was pretty unbelievable, but I knew it wasn't something he enjoyed doing because he'd get very upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->