I'm fascinated by space, planets etc any one else? Let's talk!

porkypig

Reaction score
I've always been interested in it but I have so many questions that I'd love to get answers for but I guess we won't ( not yet anyway) like, is space really infinite? I can't get my head round that? Is there life out there? I fail to believe that there's just us- how did the universe form? Will the sun ever burn out? Are there other suns out there?

I'll ask Joshua when he wakes up, he's space obsessed!

Have you watched Dr Cox's Wonders of the Universe and Richard Hammond's How to Make a Universe? Both recommended to help answer your questions!

Yes the sun will burn out, it will go supernova. Yes there are many Suns in the universe. Our sun is just part of our solar system, a tiny speck in the outer part of the Milky Way Galaxy, there are countless solar systems in our galaxy alone.

I do believe there must be some other life out there, the amount of galaxies they are, there must be at least one planet somewhere with some kind of life.

ETA: Stars in the night sky are other suns that can be seen by earth.

I'll ask Joshua when he wakes up, he's space obsessed!

Have you watched Dr Cox's Wonders of the Universe and Richard Hammond's How to Make a Universe? Both recommended to help answer your questions!

Yes the sun will burn out, it will go supernova. Yes there are many Suns in the universe. Our sun is just part of our solar system, a tiny speck in the outer part of the Milky Way Galaxy, there are countless solar systems in our galaxy alone.

I do believe there must be some other life out there, the amount of galaxies they are, there must be at least one planet somewhere with some kind of life.

ETA: Stars in the night sky are other suns that can be seen by earth.

yeah ive watched a few when theyve been on-i wonder what it is that keep the sun at such a high temp and keep it burning?

Taken from Nasa

The Sun is basically a thermonuclear bomb with a built-in thermostat. Just as in a hydrogen bomb, hydrogen atoms are fusing together to make helium atoms and this nuclear reaction produces heat (along with the light that we see). If the reactions go on too fast, the Sun expands slightly (just like a balloon expands when you heat up the air in it). This slows down the reactions and then the Sun cools and contracts. If it contracts too much, the nuclear reactions speed up, and then the Sun heats up and expands again. So the Sun stays at the same temperature, burning its nuclear fuel at a steady rate. At the rate it is going, we have about 4 billion years left until the Sun burns out

Taken from Nasa

The Sun is basically a thermonuclear bomb with a built-in thermostat. Just as in a hydrogen bomb, hydrogen atoms are fusing together to make helium atoms and this nuclear reaction produces heat (along with the light that we see). If the reactions go on too fast, the Sun expands slightly (just like a balloon expands when you heat up the air in it). This slows down the reactions and then the Sun cools and contracts. If it contracts too much, the nuclear reactions speed up, and then the Sun heats up and expands again. So the Sun stays at the same temperature, burning its nuclear fuel at a steady rate. At the rate it is going, we have about 4 billion years left until the Sun burns out

pretty interesting stuff but how did it get there/start?

Taken from Nasa

Lol, that will take some time explaining.....

The usual theory is the big bang. Google that and it will explain it better than I can.

Taken from Nasa

Lol, that will take some time explaining.....

The usual theory is the big bang. Google that and it will explain it better than I can.

lol thanks for your replies x

Fascinating stuff!

You should check out some documentaries. :)

"Through the Wormhole"

"Sci Fi Science"

"How the Universe Works"

:thumbup:

Yes, I love it. I love thinking of how big the universe is and its funny how we struggle to imagine the concept. I can stay awake hours thinking of space and stuff. I know NASA has answers but I dont really believe humans really know the true scale of the universe x

OOh, excellent idea for a thread. i love space related stuff.

Yes, I love it. I love thinking of how big the universe is and its funny how we struggle to imagine the concept. I can stay awake hours thinking of space and stuff. I know NASA has answers but I dont really believe humans really know the true scale of the universe x

im not sure we'll ever really know how big the universe is, i cant get my head round that, the fact that it goes on and on, like numbers i suppose x

After the dinosaurs this was my major interest when I was a child :D. could never turn it into studies as I lack in the maths compartment though :haha:

After the dinosaurs this was my major interest when I was a child :D. could never turn it into studies as I lack in the maths compartment though :haha:

same here, my understanding and grasp of maths is almost as incomprehensible as the idea of space lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->