I'm just being a dick, right?

Google thinks everything is autism. The thing about the hand movements is that they are a typical behavior. With autism, they just get stuck there. Your kid is fine.

:hugs:

These bloody children, always worry us don’t they!

She sounds absolutely typical and above where she should be, google really is the worst! Big hugs for you. Xxx

Thanks! I'm completely over it now - she's totally fine - but Google still absolutely stinks. :hugs:

I'm glad you're OK now :) And yeah, I totally agree about Google. You can Google literally anything and it will always lead to something horrific. The amount of times I have been scared by this, but do I learn my lesson?! :blush:

I know Bev! It's horrible. When N was small especially, the amount of stuff I 'diagnosed' her with was truly shocking. :cry:

I'm a child psychologist and have done endless autism evaluations, and none of what you mentioned would concern me. I wouldn't even blink at any of it other than not knowing/responding to name, but that's only if she never developed that. At some point, toddlers figure out they don't have to listen every time, lol, and ignore when we call their name and that's fine. It's the kiddos who never develop that awareness, don't make eye contact or show interest in people/expressions, don't play with toys or items in developmentally typical ways, walk only on tip toes, etc. that concern me. All sounds normal to me!

oh beautiful lady I am so sorry you suffer so much with anxiety :hug:

The biggest thing I want to say to you is that generally most autistic spectrum behaviours are normal at a certain age and are generally something that all children will do at some point in their development. That's why a lot of people are so quick to jump on the "oh your child must be autistic... get them checked" and also why doctors wont even entertain it until they are older unless it is severe. I think its only natural for us all to worry when our children start doing things they don't normally do.

You will notice each time your daughter has a growth spurt she will be more clumsy for a week or two afterwards just due to them trying to align their bodies in a new way which they are not accustomed to. They go from walking a certain way and all of a sudden that dooesnt quite work for them anymore and they need to adjust to the new way the muscles are all trying to work. The same is also said for when they are ill, it knocks their balance off a little so to have both at the same time is a nightmare. Im so glad she seems more steady on her feet now but just try remember when it happens again to stop and think "is she maybe having a growth spurt".

You were likely right about the fidgeting also.. its a lot of new sensory input for a child when they are going through a development leap (have you ever heard of wonder weeks?), their body is suddenly working in all these new ways and their understanding and comprehension is becoming a little better so they grasp that when they do a certain movement it brings a certain sensation :)

For her blocked nose try some saline nasal drops and also some childrens menthol balm could help too. Im not sure where you are (Sorry I didn't look before I hit reply) but here we have things called calpol plugins which are AMAZING! I use them even when I have a blocked nose :blush:

Also please never feel bad for posting your concerns. Those of us who are dealing with autistic or non neurotypical children will always be happy to help as much as we can :hugs::hugs:

Re: the hand movements, I've been a hand-flapper all my life. I did it a lot as a kid. It helped release some mental energy, sort of like fidgeting. If you google "stimming," hand-flapping is a really obvious example of it and almost always seems to be connected to autism. But I'm not even on the spectrum. That's the only trait I have that's associated with autism. The funny thing is I passed it down a little bit to my older DS but he's also very neurotypical, doesn't have any other signs. I think it can be easy to read into every little thing our kids do ... I struggle with anxiety and I'm a big hypochondriac who also worries about her kids. But this all sounds really average and not upsetting to me.

Thanks to all of the last posters. I do really think now it was just a growth spurt making her clumsy as some time has passed and she is completely normal again.

She continues to add words to her vocabulary and interact. The hand-flapping/fiddling lasted a couple of weeks and has now gone away. I'm convinced she is 100% typical. So anyone who finds this through Google and is seeing similar definitely shouldn't despair.

As for me, I am having the most fantastic anxiety hiatus. I don't know quite where or why it has gone but I haven't worried about anything at all for well over a month now and I'm seriously hoping this is it for good. I've been working hard on myself for a couple of years but haven't seen drastic results until now, even though I haven't done anything different of late.

It's wonderful, though. I feel so healthy.

That's great news about the anxiety hiatus. That must be a lovely feeling! :)

It's a relief to know that it's actually achievable! I would love that!

I wish I had some advice or answer as to why it has happened but I don't really know! I think maybe it sort of started after my dad got arrested in August on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, following a hit and run. He was only a witness, and didn't do it - even rang the police himself to report it. But we didn't know that at the time, just that he had been taken in by the police for questioning and we couldn't speak to him, and the news was suddenly reporting that a 62 year old man had been arrested! Which was obviously him, and I was so scared he had actually done it.

So yeah, that was awful - possibly the most stressful 24 hours of my life, thinking he was a hit and run killer. :( But once we came through it and I found I had somehow survived, I felt so much stronger - maybe that started the ball rolling?

Oh gosh, that must have been such a horrible and scary time! I'm glad he was cleared!

Oh gosh, that must have been such a horrible and scary time! I'm glad he was cleared!

I wanted to add (I know this post is old) there is a medical term for when a baby is “clumsy” after being sick. It’s very common and very normal. My son couldn’t take two steps without falling for three days after a bad illness, and I took him to the ER because several falls were to his head. She told me the term but I forgot.

It’s not a diagnostic but it might make you feel better to do the MCHAT or ASQ-3 online. Modified checklist for autism in toddlers. Ages and Stages. Both are development checklists. Based on her skills i’m Sure it’d give you relief.

Always feel free to share your concerns with your pedi as well.

I am genuinely worried about my son having autism as his dad claimed to have it, he failed communication on the ASQ-3, and is at high risk for autism or minimally a language delay according to his MCHAT. It is mildly aggravating to hear you freaking out because my son says zero words and falls all the time, but on the flip I think it’s totally normal to worry about your kid. I’d rather you worry and ask and vent than give no poops. You know? But glad to hear all is well now

Was it transient synovitis by any chance? That's not a term, though - more of a condition, so maybe not. I wondered about it as she did seem to be crying sometimes when she'd do something like climbing up the stairs.

Yeah, I did the MCHAT - think I've done it for both my kids, actually. It came up fine, of course, as she definitely doesn't have autism. For me, it's not so much truly believing anything is 'wrong' with either of my kids as it is just extreme anxiety talking. Like, she could be saying a thousand words and running marathons and I'd still freak out over the tiniest thing that could be a red flag. Thankfully, though, that way of thinking seems to be a thing of the past for whatever strange reason, and I'm definitely not complaining. :)

I do hope your son will be ok, whether he turns out to be on the spectrum or not. I can't pretend to know how it feels, as my brief panic was basically based on nothing, but thank goodness we have these methods and diagnostic tests in place these days so that appropriate help is available if and when it is needed. Best of luck with it. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->