Im looking for a little info on home births, please?

I was happy being in hospital for my 1st but next time i would love a home birth too...

i would definetely speak to your dad again bout being there to support you. you need somebody there!

every woman is scared of labour, but it is not all that bad( i do understand people have complications, but is a very small number) it is natural to feel scared and anxious

every woman is scared of labour, but it is not all that bad( i do understand people have complications, but is a very small number) it is natural to feel scared and anxious
Im like it 24/7 though, as im sure you have gathered from the way I type my posts.
I have my reasons though.

Why what's wrong Louise?xx

im sure you have ur reasons, everyone does, my mum gave birth to me not breathing, an my daughter had breathing complications at birth, she was in scbu for near a month, but all ur fears go out the door at hosp, cos ur concentrating on ur amazing baby!

i would agree that labour isnt too bad :) i would happily go through it all again!

This is my first and, all being well, it will be born at home. It is no more risky in an uncomplicated pregnancy to have your baby (first or otherwise) at home than it is at hospital. Part of the reason I will be having a home birth is because I hate hospitals, but the main reason is because I want to be in a place where I feel comfortable and relaxed (as much as is possible while in labour!). The thing to remember is that if you choose a home birth if things get too much you can always change your mind and transfer to hospital, but you can't change your mind and go back home if you choose a hospital birth. You have a right to give birth where you want to (within reason). A good compromise might be a midwife led birthing centre, are there any near you? Might be worth finding out.

I agree that having support there for you during labour would be ideal, but you are a strong woman and if need be you can do it alone. Take control of your birthing experience and you will be less likely to panic, no matter where you go to give birth.

I think its down to personal preference and experience. I had no choice in the matter first time round as i went into labour at 35 weekks 6 days, but my end stage was quick I went from mild contractions for an age to fully dilated within an hour, he was distressed, needed an assisted delivery and had everyman and his dog in the delivery suite. Due the fact Gabriel was distressed and our hospital is 40 mins away I opted for hospital delivery again. I again went from 5cm to 10cm dilated and 2 pushes Alisha was out, because she descended so quick she got the cord around the neck and was born blue and had to be recusitated, only took a couple of mins at the most, but had I been at home we may not have been so lucky.

With Kayleigh I was induced but would have had hospital birth again. She descended quickly too, and need a bit of oxygen to help her initially, although it wasn't as dramatic as Alisha.

I personally like the fact that there is a medical team on hand should the need arise and that you are not waiting for an ambulance and trying to get to the nearest hospital.

I do think you need a birthing companion of some sorts. They are there to support you, and convey your needs to the MW during labour. MW didn't seem too eager on giving me an epidural until DH spoke to her, then it was arranged straight away (not that i got it in the end).

I think you have to weigh up the fors and againsts a hospital vs home birth, read up, discuss with MW and then make an informed decission. At the end of the day you have to do whats best for you and your baby's well being.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do hun, and remember at the end of all this you will get to hold your darling little Nicky.

Firstly :hugs:
Secondly Labour is a scary thing its the un known, u dont know what to expect really, but honestly its not that bad lol i hear u sayin dont lie, but im not!
As soon as ur holding that little boy of urs u will completely forget whats just happened! Its bloody worth it!!!!!
I hope ur Dad can be there to support u hun cos its best to have that support!

I want a home birth but DH has said no not in a million yrs :roll: hes a worrier!!
xx

sophie i 100% agree with the once u hold baby its forgotton! it really is!!!!

I had pre-adema (SP) ???

Both kids had chord round necks and ellies head "bobbed2 when they broke waters and dropped so fast i was pushing 30 secs later.

Deffo prefer hospital no matter how much i hate them, i feel safer!

xxx

I'm going to disagree with some of you'se sorry. I had a long drawn out labour and felt very out of control. It took me ages to get "over it" and even now I get upset when I think aout it. Of coyrse it was worth it, and yes I am doing it again but this time I am going to have a home birth, and if I am unable to then I will go into hospital but I want out asap. I think hospital does have it place but for me there was too much intervention, and it scared me. if you have a low risk pregnancy a home birth is a perfectly viable choice.

You need to speak to your midwife. They will carry out a risk assessment and if there are no issues they should support a home birth.

I had a home birth planned, my mw brought all the equipment round and they just bring the gas and air on the day.
However my waters broke saturday but no contractions so I had to be induced in hospital on monday.
3 days later and the most horrendous back pain I got my little boy.

In a way I wish I'd had the homebirth seeing as I coped on just gas and air anyway and I had practically zero sleep for 3 days as the hospital was so noisy and buzzers going off all through the night.
At least at home I would have had a decent rest.

But then I'm glad I had the hospital birth as the back pain was absolutely excrutiating and I don't know if I'd have coped at home knowing there was limited drugs even if I didn't use them lol.

Its your decision but chances are as it's your first you'll go over so will have to be induced in hospital anyway.
And no offence but you come seem as an extreme worrier so I think a hospital birth may be better for you.

One thing I will say is during my labour I was in such pain I wouldn't have noticed if DH wasn't there half the time but he was great at giving me sips of ice cold water and wiping my face with a cold wet cloth which felt fantastic.
A mw will be too busy trying to get the baby out to do this so try and get a birthing partner :hugs:

And once the contractions start all your worries will go out if the window, you'll just want the baby out by any means possible, believe me.
I told the midwife to cut me open and get it out and she could keep it as I didn't want it anymore :rofl:

But on the plus side I would do it again tomorrow.

Cx

Just seen this - definately go for a home birth if it will help make you feel less anxious about the birth. You'll have 2 midwives, 1 for you and 1 for Nicky so there will be support there for you. My first was born in hospital, but had we stayed at home any longer she would have been a homebirth.

Alex was born at home but because he was early there was a lot of intervention and things that ruined the experience, however if he'd been on time I'm sure it would have been far less stressful!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->