Im not very happy with my mums doctor regarding menopause/prozac

claire1978

Mum of 4
Reaction score
my mum has been having symptoms lately that i think is related to the menopause (she is 54), i actually think it started 2 years ago but lately it has got worse, i told her to go to docs so she went last tues and the dr asked her what she thinks is the prob, she said that i thought it was menopause but even with all other symptoms the dr thinks depression and has handed out prozac, im so cross tbh, its so easy to get these prescribed but hard to get off of them, the dr didnt even take a bllod test to test for menopause, my mums boss has said not to take the tablets which is what i said aswell but she started them last tues, i have just told her to go back to the drs and see someone else for a second opinion, she at least needs testing for menopause, i feel like foning her drs myself and having a moan

just had to get it off my chest, i really am not happy, shes gonna get hooked on this medication which wont help her in the long term

I don't necessarily think she will get hooked on the meds, but the doctor didn't sound very thorough at ALL. Sometimes doctors will go to the end all when a patient comes in with common symptoms. I have severe depression so my fatigue was put down as depression-caused. Ah, no- I went in for a second opinion and found out I had a severe iron deficiency.

So I guess my point is that you should definitely strongly suggest your mom go to another doctor. Is she reluctant to go?

Did you go into the appointment with her?
There may be stuff she told the doctor that she hasn't discussed with you, I would leave off ringing the doctor but encourage your mu to get a hormone blood test:flower:

I don't necessarily think she will get hooked on the meds, but the doctor didn't sound very thorough at ALL. Sometimes doctors will go to the end all when a patient comes in with common symptoms. I have severe depression so my fatigue was put down as depression-caused. Ah, no- I went in for a second opinion and found out I had a severe iron deficiency.

So I guess my point is that you should definitely strongly suggest your mom go to another doctor. Is she reluctant to go?

no shes not reluctant to go, she has booked another app for 2moz and im going with her, i think shes thankful for the support

Did you go into the appointment with her?
There may be stuff she told the doctor that she hasn't discussed with you, I would leave off ringing the doctor but encourage your mu to get a hormone blood test:flower:

no i didnt go with her, she told me the whole conversation with the dr, she doesnt hide anything

im going with her 2moz and will insist on testing for menopause, the dr she is seeing is so lovely so hoping we will get results

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->