Im planning a homebirth, what would you say are the most important things to Researc?

Pixles

Reaction score
I don't really have any preferences, just that I want to stay at home, and I want delayed cord cutting/to birth the placenta attached.

but what else would you advise me to research and what was most important to you?

:hugs:

Reserch what reasons they would like you to transfer and if you agree with them.

Hi,

Just came across this thread so sorry if too late, but this website is fantastic when looking into home birth - I've been using it and it answers every question I could think of and more from how many midwives attend you to how to get blood out of your carpet!

The web address was in my maternity notes - really handy!

www.homebirth.org.uk

HTH x

Reserch what reasons they would like you to transfer and if you agree with them.

I agree with that. I'm planning a HB (despite being consultant led) and had a meeting with the Supervisor Of Midwives to go over the risks. It really helped that I was aware before hand what they saw as the specific risks for me, and I could explain how I planned to manage them, or how I was okay with those risks.

For me, it was: shoulder dystocia, BP spiking, access issues (I'm a large lady), slow labour, thrombosis, PPH.

Knowing the NICE guidelines has helped - the consultant stated I was to transfer according to her policy, which doesn't match the NICE guidelines, so I stated I'll be following the NICE Guidelines and feel more comfortable knowing that the MWs know that and so won't ask me to transfer prematurely.

Also, knowing what to do if I go into labour early (not at issue from tomorrow) or late, or if they are 'too busy'.

thankyou ladys! your all stars, =) Im not really very pregnant! 12 weeks!! but ive already gotten a pretty extensive birthing plann to go over with my midwife at my 15 week app =P I qulifie for consultant led, but my midwife refused that care on my behalf because shes feels for me i qulifie for the wrong reasons, and that because im physicaly fit and gave birth with a 4hr labour and 15 min 2nd stage without any pain relife (too late for gas and air, theyd already stuck me with a pre-labour pethadin shot at what would of been 8cm dilated) she feels she is compleatly capable to care for me as any "normal sized" gal. =) she looked at me and said. Were not all tiny! some of us like chocolate. dosent mean we need a Dr =P she wants to be my personal delivering midwife =) bless her. i do love my midwife.

I will resurch and ask questions about everything youve mentioned. Still need to find my waterproof table cloth! my living rooms suspended above the garage, and we have wood floor and breeze blocks. dont want the garage to have blood splatters! =P x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->