Im So Disturbed By This Image

Most of these beggars are Roma who are somehow indebted to gangs which make them go out onto the street and beg for money, often with babies which aren't theirs to make them more pitiful.

There are even some in London who put on headscarves and sit outside mosques because they know Muslims are obliged by their religion to give charity (Roma are not Muslim).

I saw a Roma woman in Munich begging with a boy of about 10 who had Downs syndrome and was smoking a cigarette. It's awful.

No probably not but it happens in the uk too allot! Most addicts still have there children its on our door step!!

:cry: Absolutely horrific. I can't believe babies and children have to live like this ? If I ever saw that on the streets of New York I would report it and wait there till someone came. I can't believe these children are not taken away and there is something in place to take care of them, no matter where they are from. So sad :nope:

:cry: Absolutely horrific. I can't believe babies and children have to live like this ? If I ever saw that on the streets of New York I would report it and wait there till someone came. I can't believe these children are not taken away and there is something in place to take care of them, no matter where they are from. So sad :nope:
What makes you think they'd be better off in the care of the city or a foster family?

The reason social services prefer not to remove children from their families unless completely necessary is because they are generally better off with their own parents, unless they're being abused or neglected, which isn't necessarily the case in this picture.

Aside from my thoughts on the image, I just don't understand why people repost things that upset them. I'm not 'picking on' the op as I've seen it a lot on bnb, Facebook and twitter. Horrible images of child abuse, animal abuse, things that I wish I'd never seen.
If they are upsetting you why go on to upset others? I never normally click on things or watch the videos but I just don't understand circulating these things.
We all know these things go on, I for one don't need the images in my head permanently.
Sorry for the rant but I really am curious as to why you would post a picture that has upset you.

Aside from my thoughts on the image, I just don't understand why people repost things that upset them. I'm not 'picking on' the op as I've seen it a lot on bnb, Facebook and twitter. Horrible images of child abuse, animal abuse, things that I wish I'd never seen.
If they are upsetting you why go on to upset others? I never normally click on things or watch the videos but I just don't understand circulating these things.
We all know these things go on, I for one don't need the images in my head permanently.
Sorry for the rant but I really am curious as to why you would post a picture that has upset you.

In the OP's defense, I think it's appropriate to want to have a discussion about it. Just because something is upsetting doesn't mean it's not worth talking about.

It would be different if she posted something that was purely malicious, like an adult punching a baby... Obviously we all agree that it's wrong and there's no discussion to be had at all. That's just upsetting for upsetting's sake.

BUT, drug addiction is a very real disease and it's not cut and dry. It's worth a conversation, IMO.

What makes you think they'd be better off in the care of the city or a foster family?

The reason social services prefer not to remove children from their families unless completely necessary is because they are generally better off with their own parents, unless they're being abused or neglected, which isn't necessarily the case in this picture.

Wait a minute, isn't the mother in the picture shooting up drugs? that is how i saw it and you don't think the child should be taken away from a dug addict? If I am not seeing this picture right, please tell me>?

In the OP's defense, I think it's appropriate to want to have a discussion about it. Just because something is upsetting doesn't mean it's not worth talking about.

It would be different if she posted something that was purely malicious, like an adult punching a baby... Obviously we all agree that it's wrong and there's no discussion to be had at all. That's just upsetting for upsetting's sake.

BUT, drug addiction is a very real disease and it's not cut and dry. It's worth a conversation, IMO.
That may be the case if the OP was having a discussion about it, but she doesn't appear to be. Nor does a discussion about the causes and effects of what the original article was about seem to have developed.

There's a fine line between posting disturbing images (without a warning I might add) from a rag such as the Daily Fail for effect (deliberate or not) and posting them for real discussion, and tbh this seems more like the former.

That may be the case if the OP was having a discussion about it, but she doesn't appear to be. Nor does a discussion about the causes and effects of what the original article was about seem to have developed.

There's a fine line between posting disturbing images (without a warning I might add) from a rag such as the Daily Fail for effect (deliberate or not) and posting them for real discussion, and tbh this seems more like the former.

Fair enough, you could be right. I do think it's important to be careful of sharing things just because we think they're "wrong" and they make us feel superior. Always best to err on the side of compassion.

But just for the sake of argument, I don't think it's wrong to post such a photo if you truly want to have a conversation.

Me neither. I would actually be interested to hear about the War on Drugs from an American perspective, so an image like this can be a good trigger :D

Wait a minute, isn't the mother in the picture shooting up drugs? that is how i saw it and you don't think the child should be taken away from a dug addict? If I am not seeing this picture right, please tell me>?
That's your opinion. I don't believe the child looks like he is suffering in the picture, although it's hard to tell from just one snapshot. I believe he would be suffering a lot more if he were taken by Mexico's social services, if they exist at all.

That's your opinion. I don't believe the child looks like he is suffering in the picture, although it's hard to tell from just one snapshot. I believe he would be suffering a lot more if he were taken by Mexico's social services, if they exist at all.

OK, to each their own... :flower:

I'm not just talking about this post. I see it a lot and I just don't understand it.
I'm all for discussion but if something upsets you it's more than likely going to upset others. Can you not discuss a topic without posting a picture of the subject matter?
Again, not this specific picture but I have images in my head that will never leave me of children and animals being abused. It's more of an issue on Facebook when they just come up on my feed without me clicking anything but as this thread was about an upsetting image reposted I thought it was a goid place to ask why...

I'm not just talking about this post. I see it a lot and I just don't understand it.
I'm all for discussion but if something upsets you it's more than likely going to upset others. Can you not discuss a topic without posting a picture of the subject matter?
Again, not this specific picture but I have images in my head that will never leave me of children and animals being abused. It's more of an issue on Facebook when they just come up on my feed without me clicking anything but as this thread was about an upsetting image reposted I thought it was a goid place to ask why...

I hear you. I feel the same way when articles are posted on this site about kids being abused. We are obviously all here because we care deeply about our children... There's no debate about these things and they're just sad. I don't need to read something to be shocked about how awful it is. I know the world isn't a utopia.

I remember reading a article years ago about a homless guy that sold the big issue and the money he made from it over the course of 10 years he actualy bought his own house.
He spent 10 years living on the street and was offered housing but he choose to stay on the streets to save money and lived off begged money on a daily basis.
It was estimated he made around £80 a day on begging money and around £120 a day on selling the big issue

What does "selling the big issue" mean? I've never heard that. I'm picturing him selling the Sunday newspaper, but I bet that's not right.

I remember reading a article years ago about a homless guy that sold the big issue and the money he made from it over the course of 10 years he actualy bought his own house.
He spent 10 years living on the street and was offered housing but he choose to stay on the streets to save money and lived off begged money on a daily basis.
It was estimated he made around £80 a day on begging money and around £120 a day on selling the big issue

What does "selling the big issue" mean? I've never heard that. I'm picturing him selling the Sunday newspaper, but I bet that's not right.

It's a company who gives homeless people the chance to earn a lively hood by selling their magazine on the streets in towns and cities.

I know what you mean on Facebook. I hate the pics that pop up of poor babies suffering , with a caption like 'If we get 100,000 likes this girl will get an organ donation' :nope: It always amazes me that people are silly enough to like it.

I know what you mean on Facebook. I hate the pics that pop up of poor babies suffering , with a caption like 'If we get 100,000 likes this girl will get an organ donation' :nope: It always amazes me that people are silly enough to like it.

Ugh I hate that!!! I do think social media can be used to institute change, but "liking" a photo isn't exactly the work of an activist.

Maybe because talking about a issue and bringing awarness to it will eventualy do more for its cause in the long run then ignoring it, and pretending its not a problem because you dont have to hear about it.
Still birth, cot death and miscarriage are good examples of this, how many centeries has it been a "lets not talk about it" subject yet the main ones that are most upset are the ones that cant talk freely about their babies.
If it was left as a subject not to talkabout there would be no support groups or people trying to help.

Maybe because talking about a issue and bringing awarness to it will eventualy do more for its cause in the long run then ignoring it, and pretending its not a problem because you dont have to hear about it.
Still birth, cot death and miscarriage are good examples of this, how many centeries has it been a "lets not talk about it" subject yet the main ones that are most upset are the ones that cant talk freely about their babies.
If it was left as a subject not to talkabout there would be no support groups or people trying to help.
But there's a difference between a title such as "The Mexican Drug War - Effects on Children" and "I'm so Disturbed By This Image".

I would find it just as problematic if someone posted pictures of dead babies they had no connection with and gave the thread a dramatic title. So far, there has been no meaningful information on the background of this picture given and I think the thread can safely be filed under the "designed to shock, not to inform" category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->