• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

In 2 minds - VBAC or ECS

SmartieMeUp

Mum of 2 girls.
Reaction score
With my first EMCS I was petrified and felt wasted. I had a 43 hour labour to be told that I had no chance of giving birth naturally in the end when it could have saved me all the pain and exhaustion. I felt even more gutted and disappointed in myself as I couldn't have a natural birth. I thought I failed as a mother.

I was all for a VBAC until recently. I've pointed out pros and cons to each birth with OH.

CS
Pros:
- Easy and almost straight forward
- Have a "due date"
- OH can book his paternity leave knowing it won't be wasted waiting for baby to come

Cons:
- I have a 3 year old to run around after plus Summer holidays will be coming up
- I have to stay in hospital on my own for 2-3 days
- I had a bad reaction to the previous anaesthetic
- Recovery isn't as quick

Natural
Pros:
- I get to experience natural birth
- I'm not as restricted during the recovery time nor will I deal with much after pain
- If there's no complications then I'd be able to go home that day (depending on time)

Cons:
- I don't know when labour will start thus meaning OH could have wasted a week of his paternity for instance before baby has even arrived
- Could result into another complicated birth even after an all clear then end up with another section.

Is there anything else that I should take into consideration?

Hey I will be following your post, i had an ECS with my 6 year old and im stuck on what to do but im pretty sure my mind is going for another c section x

Thank you! Throw in some ideas too :haha:

I was adamant on a VBAC but an elective makes so much more sense. If I knew when I'd go into labour and able to speed it up, I'd be more positive about the VBAC. My scar was a worry despite it being 45 months old.

I handled my labour pretty well, and I somehow miss that feeling putting the pain aside. It's also given me a heads up that on what else I could do or change if I went into natural labour again. I was 3 days over with DD but it's a big risk doing it that way again x

In your position I think that my primary deciding factor would be why you had the first c/s. Was it just all those circumstances together? Or was it baby's position? Or was your body a contributing factor at all? I think if the odds were That it was fairly likely I would need a second c/s, then I would opt for an elective one now. (FYI- In any situation I am the kind to would choose the calm, collected, organized option every time ;) ) but, if you really want to try again, and medical advice says it would likely be a success, then there are positives to going naturally. Nobody can decide but you. Talk to your oh, your doc and weigh it up (just as you are doing!) :flower:

Ps. How far along are you? If you have time, then just put the decision on the back burner for a while and maybe the right answer will just present itself ;)

In your position I think that my primary deciding factor would be why you had the first c/s. Was it just all those circumstances together? Or was it baby's position? Or was your body a contributing factor at all? I think if the odds were That it was fairly likely I would need a second c/s, then I would opt for an elective one now. (FYI- In any situation I am the kind to would choose the calm, collected, organized option every time ;) ) but, if you really want to try again, and medical advice says it would likely be a success, then there are positives to going naturally. Nobody can decide but you. Talk to your oh, your doc and weigh it up (just as you are doing!) :flower:

Ps. How far along are you? If you have time, then just put the decision on the back burner for a while and maybe the right answer will just present itself ;)

Well I had a slow progression and I merely thought that was down to not allowed to be given any gas and air until I was 6cm and moved to the delivery ward so I was unable to let my body relax. Once I hit 6cm I dilated to 8cm in about 4-5 hours IRC. I was offered to be stretched to 9cm but then told baby was stuck in my pelvis (reason I had no chance of natural birth), and her oxygen levels had to be checked 5 times. She released meconium inside me prior and become stressed which is when they rushed me into theatre.

MW told me not to make any birthing plan as a doc will decide my final options at 34-36 weeks, unless baby is breech at 28 weeks in which I have no other option but ECS, even though DD was frank breech and turned herself at 32.

I'm 18+3 but I'm wanting to prepare myself either way, so anything I can do to encourage a VBAC, I would like to start as early as possible for a head start.

28 weeks seem so early for a final decision if baby is breech! My baby was breech at 33, turned at 35. (I was a bit shocked to be going from thinking I was having a c/s back to natural!)

It seems like there are a lot of outside factors... So, you could just try and be open to both and take whichever fate deals you? :)

Thank you! Throw in some ideas too :haha:

I was adamant on a VBAC but an elective makes so much more sense. If I knew when I'd go into labour and able to speed it up, I'd be more positive about the VBAC. My scar was a worry despite it being 45 months old.

I handled my labour pretty well, and I somehow miss that feeling putting the pain aside. It's also given me a heads up that on what else I could do or change if I went into natural labour again. I was 3 days over with DD but it's a big risk doing it that way again x

I think im due the same day as you June 21st? LOL . With mine nothing seemed to happen naturally , cutting it short i was 10 days late they started me, started getting pains, broke my waters , only got to 3 cms, then the contractions were coming fast so asked for epidural but then his heart rate dropped dramatically so i was rushed into theatre, he was 8.15 born so im kinda glad im quite petite lol . For me a c section just seems where my heart is, my consultant said the risks outweigh each other and its up to me but i dont see him till 36 weeks. Have you spoke with your consultant ? x Just realised theres a days difference i saw your ticker lol

I am pro-VBAC in the right (and safe!) scenarios. I would say if you can and are comfortable with it, go for it. If it fails, you know what to expect with a c-section. My failed VBAC/RCS was much smoother than my EMCS with DD.

Yeah, I'm due 20th :p It's such a hard thing to decide, truth be told I was traumatised by my first and I've only just got my feeling back in my belly around the scar. It's had an odd numb sensation, but then I think that it could better by old scar too as they made quite a mess of it. If I knew it'd be a big baby I'd opt for elective, as I'm only petite myself plus 4'11 lol. I'd be more mentally prepared this time though, as I sort of know what to expect, just OH is terrified of it all after witnessing the first, he was scared of having a baby as it was let alone the rest of what came with it. I wasn't cared for as much before, during my operation nor after care, they were pretty rough and inconsiderate of me

If I went for a VBAC then I have this fantasy image in my head of an epidural at the beginning to quicken the labour and birth. I know it wouldn't happen like that :( If I could be induced between 39-40 weeks then that would side me with a VBAC too at least then I have a rough idea on when the baby would be born.

I'm due to speak to mine on 3rd Feb after I've had my anomaly scan.

I vaguely discussed it with MW on my first appointment and she said if all failed with a VBAC then I could be rushed into theatre within 5 minutes which scared me a little x

I'm having the same trouble trying to decide. My labour with DD ended in an emergency c-section after a 36 hour labour with just gas and air. I'm leaning towards a planned c-section this time as I know if I try to go naturally and it fails and I end up with a emergency c-section I will be deeply disappointed and think why the hell did I even bother. Also my DD spend her first night in neonatal as we both caught an infection due to my waters breaking 36 hours previously. Second night I had to ask the nurses to look after her as I was too exhausted to due to the long labour and surgery. I want it to be calm and relaxed this time round and to enjoy my first few days with my little boy which is why I think I'm going to opt for a c-section. I won't lie I'm absolutely terrified about a c-section as I will be more aware of what's happening this time.

Hi ladies,

I've decided to have a C Section after an EMCS with DD. I'm one of the lucky few who had a short labour and I am average sized [5'6", athletic build], so my reasons for a section surprised me. Long story short, after an hour and a half of pushing, she had still not fully engaged in my pelvis because of her size [8lbs 3oz], and her heart rate was consistently dropping so they sent me in to have the section.

My OB advised against a VBAC because I have large babies, and because my scar may not be strong enough to withstand the contractions since my first section was only 15 months ago.

I strongly recommend taking the advice of your caregiver. But also to take your time, your pros and cons list is a great idea, and only you will know what is best for you and baby.

Congrats and good luck!

I just had my VBAC consultation for this current baby. She put me at a less than 50% chance of successful vbac. I'm torn.

Tishy, my drs reasons were exactly the same as yours! I will have 15 months between c/s and my baby was 8 lbs. 3 oz. my first c/s was because of breech presentation....never went into labor.

I'm still deciding...I think I will wait until my 30 week appt to decide. Good luck with your decision op!

Well my consultant and surgeon is pushing me for a VBAC. He gave me more reassurance than MW tbh and looked at the positives. Going on previous birth weight, I should be able to go natural if DD2 is around the same weight too. I will be monitored and if any complications arise then it shall be another 'emergency' caesarean but seems that would be unlikely.

I will be scanned around 28-32 weeks and have another appointment in the post for my next assessment. Also, my appointment for induction is 23rd June (my first/original EDD).

What gave me a bit more light on a VBAC was the fact OH can start his paternity from the day I go into labour - that was my biggest worry.

This will be my last baby so a VBAC will mean a lot more to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->