In-laws not happy for us....

KL15

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies in advance for this essay but I would really love some support and advice.
I moved in with my partner's parents last year so we could save for a house and it's all been going well. I just found out a few days ago that I've fallen pregnant. My parents are overjoyed, his not so much. His mum gave us the silent treatment the day after then sat us down the next day and accused us of purposely trying to get pregnant, setting a bad standard for younger siblings, messing up the plan they had for us (save, buy a house, get married before having children). This was not in our plan at all....I would have preferred to at least own a house first before even thinking about having children but it hasn't happened that way and u feel like we're being punished for it and I feel ashamed and embarrassed of the fact that I'm pregnant. We're 27 years old (we both have good jobs, have been to uni) and somehow feel like even if we had decided to actively start trying that we have the right to make that decision as two adults and shouldn't be made to feel like we've done something so horribly wrong because we havent stuck with the agenda they had for us. I understand it comes from a good place, but we're not kids and we're not in school and we're not going to be living in poverty. I was so happy at first (I'd been told by my gyno a while back that I may have problems) so I was overjoyed and a little relieved that I could fall. I cant stop crying about how all this has gone. It's supposed to be a happy time and we're never going to get this time back and it's been filled with shame, anxiety and tears. I can't remember the last time I cried like I have the last few days. I'm so angry and hurt, it's done, it can't be changed and I don't understand why this has to go on. I'm terrified we will be ostracised, our child will be or that we'll have a massive falling out because we won't so what his parents want us to do (if we can't buy a house before I give birth they want us to stay, rather than rent). I can't have a baby in my laws house! I need us to have privacy and make decisions as parents. I just don't feel like we've done this terrible thing, it can't be that terrible can it?? Any advice would be so appreciated most of my friends and family live far away xx

your inlaws are being ridiculously unfair ... like you say you both grown, have good jobs ...

don't stress yourself out too much they will get over it and if they don't that's their problem ... you just enjoy this blessing

congrats on your pregnancy

I know. It's just so miserable to live with and I feel this first experience for both of us has been ruined by their controlling. Hopefully once it all settles down it won't be like this. Thanks for your support and your congratulations, you too!! Xx

Gosh, I'd be reminding them you're grown adults! Times have changed! You don't have to do anything according to their plans. I'd be doing whatever makes you happy! If that means renting an affordable place while you save for a bit longer for a house, than that's completely up to you! :) It will be completely their loss if they have an issue with anything you decide. Enjoy being pregnant and don't let others take away from that. Congratulations!!! How exciting for you :)

sounds like they want to live their lives through yours ... ignore them hun

Thank you for helping me to feel excited about it all again ladies. It is such a blessing. Appreciate it.

Its absolutely none of their business. They can't live your lives for you and tell you how your life will pan out just to please their own agenda.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I would be looking to move out asap.

I totally agree with the other ladies. They are being ridiculous. I'd be looking to move out ASAP even if it meant renting. There's no shame in it.

My in laws and SIL are not happy for us, purely as we have chosen to have our 3rd not long after out second (she's 6 months). It really put a downer on the first few weeks for me. But now we have told them that if you can't be happy for us them stay away from us. They have chosen the latter which to be honest I'm happy with.

Congrats on your pregnancy and happy healthy 9 months to you!

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I fell pregnant with my 1st when I was living with my mum, then had to move to my in laws when he was 3 so we could save up to buy a property... We did it again when we had 2 kids as we needed a bigger Property, it was 18 months of pure hell 😒 Going to work for 13 hours shifts/ 4 times a week were more fun, It wasn't fun living under someone else's rules/ expectations , but I do appreciate the help they gave us in caring for our children/ letting us save. That's the problem when you move into someone else home, they expect and rightly so want things done a certain way... You have several options
-deal with it
-move out and rent
-move to another family members home

The most important thing is to have a timescale and stick to it. It's sad that they could only think of the negatives but hopefully they will show you that they do care and all they really want is the best for you all.

Congrats:flower:

I think the best thing would be to find a cheap place to rent while you and OH save up for a house. I'm afraid if you stay with his parents, they'll make your lives miserable and you'll look back on your pregnancy not with happiness but with how they tarnished it. So yeah move out ASAP!

His mother sounds like a toxic person if she's using the silent treatment on you. I have a number of toxic relatives that do the same and it's actually considered emotional abuse to use the silent treatment on someone! I'd say if his parents ostracise you all because of that, then that's all on them! Don't let that prevent you from setting boundaries and living your life the way you want. If they're the type of people that do that then they're toxic for your child and you don't want them around him/her anyway. I speak from experience being the scapegoat of my family and being currently ostracised by my 3 toxic older siblings and the enablers of my family - all because I set reasonable boundaries for the toxics like it's not acceptable for them to put me down (my one brother does this every chance he gets). You can never please people like that, they'll always find something to nitpick and criticise, even lying to you about who you are such as calling you selfish when you "go against" what they want.

Congratulations!!!

I agree with p/p. I'd find a house to rent long before the baby is born, for the sake of your sanity. I see a long road of being told how to do this and how to do that before and after baby is born. Once baby is born the last thing either of you will need is someone like that hovering around. Set your boundaries now, first step is to move out.

This is a special time for YOU and your BF, not your in laws. You aren't teenagers. How they feel about it is inconsequential and should have no bearing on your happiness or your decisions regarding the pregnancy. The kind of parents you will be has nothing to do with being married or buying your own home.

Personally (and maybe a little spitefully), I'd be gloating out loud and often about how happy other people are for you, make them see how you don't need their blessing or support because you've already got plenty of both :hugs:

Congrats on your pregnancy. Every baby is a blessing. :thumbup:
I would tell your in laws in no uncertain terms to shut up. I would also look for somewhere else to live.

In laws are never happy! Try not to stress about it :hugs:

CONGRATS ON YOUR PREGNANCY!!!! Wohoo!!! BABIES ARE BLESSING FROM GOD!!

My in law was awful my DH had some of her same characteristics until 2 yrs later then he finally saw himself and see how horrible his mom was. But this is not ab me.

Enjoy your pregnancy, every bit of it, don't let your in laws ruin it Bc like you said it's some things you can't get bk and those 9 months are the times you want to remember must of your baby growing inside you!!

I'll find another place to rent Bc if their being bossy like that then once you have the baby youre going tone climbing up the walls

Good luck

Being pregnant doesn't mean those dreams end. We got pregnant with our eldest when we both still lived at home. We bought our own home when she was 2 years old and have now been here for 2 years. As for being married, we're not even engaged. We've been together for 6 years now and I'd rather spend our money on holidays LOL (we recently went on a Caribbean Cruise with a 4yo and 7mo! It cost us £6,500 including spending money which could have well been used towards a wedding...but I didn't want to). They need to remember this is YOUR lives, not theirs. We all have dreams for our children and hope they do better than us etc but you don't force it. It's 2016...not 1916 where you got married, bought a house then had kids. Congrats to you both don't spend the pregnancy in doubt because of other people <3

Aw hugs honey. Xx
Congrats on ur pregnancy.
First time I got preg I was 32
We told OHs parents.
I expected excitement and congrats.
i got dropped jaws and stammering.
A few days after, his dad came to visit
And offered to help us normalise our relationship
Aka get married.
We r together 14 years and hve a house.
I just don't want the hassle and debt of a wedding.
Things were slightly strained for a bit
But when they realised we weren't going to.
We were fine again
OH family r lovely.
Its just that's what they consider normal
But nor what we do.
Long winded way of saying I understand how u feel
But thus will all pass too.
Do what makes u as a couple and now a family happy
Xxx

It is so out dated to think that things have to happen in that order - get married, buy a house, have a baby. My OH and I own a house together and have a 4 month old baby. We intentionally had a baby before getting married, we are getting married this September (which is going to be a small ceremony and party on our property, we can't be bothered to spend money on a traditional wedding!). I absolutely love the idea of having our child at our wedding! My sister and her husband had their first child before they were married too and he always says things like "mommy remember when I wore the suit at our wedding?". It's so cute! Lots of people have children while they are renting, if I were you I would be looking to move out ASAP, and demand that they treat you with respect if they want to have anything to do with you and the baby. It is nice of them to want to help you out by giving you a place to live so that you can save for your own house, but it seems like they are very controlling and that is not a situation I'd want to be in with a new baby.

Being pregnant doesn't mean those dreams end. We got pregnant with our eldest when we both still lived at home. We bought our own home when she was 2 years old and have now been here for 2 years. As for being married, we're not even engaged. We've been together for 6 years now and I'd rather spend our money on holidays LOL (we recently went on a Caribbean Cruise with a 4yo and 7mo! It cost us £6,500 including spending money which could have well been used towards a wedding...but I didn't want to). They need to remember this is YOUR lives, not theirs. We all have dreams for our children and hope they do better than us etc but you don't force it. It's 2016...not 1916 where you got married, bought a house then had kids. Congrats to you both don't spend the pregnancy in doubt because of other people <3
We would rather spend our $$$ on holidays too! Not opposed to getting married, but it's just not a priority. We've been together 16 years (since high school!), bought and sold 2 houses in that time, now getting ready for our first babies and considering moving back in with my parents so we can save more money (so we can have a bigger deposit to buy another house and still afford to have our holidays with our beans once they arrive).

There's no such thing as conventional anymore, you have to do what is best for you at the time!

You ladies are the best! This forum is a lifesaver. Thank you all xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->